News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I can't make up my mind, despite all that I've thought about

Started by Hot_Rodder, August 27, 2007, 06:07:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I'm sure I know what most everyone will choose, but I still have to wonder

Current 1964 dated 383
4 (23.5%)
1976 (?) 400 with manual flywheel
0 (0%)
currently unknown dated 440
11 (64.7%)
426 Hemi (if I had one, lol)
2 (11.8%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Hot_Rodder

Now out of these motors, other than the Hemi, becuase they're a little out of my reach right now.... Which should I run? The car is the '72 Charger SE with auto that I have, it's listed as a 5k+ pound car.... The car will be street cruising only setup. But if someone should want to test it, I don't want to get left behind by almost anything... :eek2: Anyway, the motors listed above (except for the 383), the guy that I got the Charger from, has these motors for sale.... Being the 400 with, if memory serves me right, a date code casting of 1976, it got a flywheel for a manual tran's on it, and the tran's, and axles are sitting by it too (yes it came out of a heavy duty truck), but it's all been sitting out inthe weather for how long :shruggy:. Now, the 440 has been rebuilt, never fired up, sits in the back of the shop out of the way, the guy said it's basicaly a factory bottom end rebuild (couldn't remember the spec's right off hand), with factory heads (I think they're 452's but could be wrong), and there's a spreadbore intake on the floor beside it, but he says it's got a big cam because he wanted to put the motor in one of the old military trucks they have in the yard, but they got really high gears in it, so he chose a cam that has a high power band in it..... Now for the 383, it's a tired motor... When trying to replace the starter, I saw the date code of 64 on it, hince the waterpump diff.... This motor is in the car now, and has an intake that will get replaced because I don't see driving down the road at 3000 rpm all the time a big plus.... ::) Besides, think about that extra gas going through the motor :eek2:.

I know with the 400 and 383, about the only diff is the bore, the stroke is the same, right? The heads on the 400 are probably shot, there's no exhaust manifolds on it, and the intake doesn't have a carb on it... The 383, once it gets the new starter on there, should be able to fire up again. But I could go on and on, but I'll hush now, and wait to see what everyone says...

Once again, unfortnatly the Hemi isn't much of a choice unless I somehow come across one the I can actualy get..... :eyes:

Brock Samson

what?..  :shruggy:

"it's listed as a 5k+ pound car.... "

you don't belive it's a 5,000 lb car do ya?..
if it tips the scales north of 3,800 Lbs somethings horrible wrong...

why not stroke the 400 boat anchor?...

Hot_Rodder

Quote from: Brock Samson on August 27, 2007, 06:12:50 PM
what?..  :shruggy:

"it's listed as a 5k+ pound car.... "

you don't belive it's a 5,000 lb car do ya?..
if it tips the scales north of 3,800 Lbs somethings horrible wrong...

why not stroke the 400 boat anchor?...

I'm affraid to tear into that 400 since it's been sitting in the weather for god knows how long. As far as I know, it might just be a good boat anchor now... By the way, in the last 2 or 3 days, it's been raining here....

Challenger340

I used to like stroking 400 blocks to 451 engines, they make great pump gas engines, and very good power, but have been left behind in this bigger stroker world.
If you're gonna rebuild it anyways, a guy can't argue with a good 440 core engine either, other than if it's already been rebuilt "to death" and no longer a good candidate for futures.

I gotta give my vote to the 440 core, if it's good.

Other than that, If you do go for the 400 block, this "pump fuel" 451 is nothing to sneeze at.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,22274.msg288616.html#msg288616
Only wimps wear Bowties !

Brock Samson

just to show ya',..  yesterday this stroked 400 was in the high 11s. and street legal.... with street tires...

Hot_Rodder

Quote from: Brock Samson on August 27, 2007, 07:59:39 PM
just to show ya',..  yesterday this stroked 400 was in the high 11s. and street legal.... with street tires...

:scratchchin:

Hot_Rodder

Quote from: Challenger340 on August 27, 2007, 07:37:50 PM
I used to like stroking 400 blocks to 451 engines, they make great pump gas engines, and very good power, but have been left behind in this bigger stroker world.
If you're gonna rebuild it anyways, a guy can't argue with a good 440 core engine either, other than if it's already been rebuilt "to death" and no longer a good candidate for futures.

I gotta give my vote to the 440 core, if it's good.

Other than that, If you do go for the 400 block, this "pump fuel" 451 is nothing to sneeze at.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,22274.msg288616.html#msg288616

The only thing about that 440 is, I don't know if it's been bored, and if so, how much.... As far as that build, didn't you build it? If so, got some q's for ya.

Challenger340

Yep, I did machine & build it.

I can answer tech questions, or, I'll see if the Customer/Owner will talk to you, if it's a "manners in traffic" type question ?

Don't do many 451's anymore though, everybody wants "500" inchs & UP these days !

Fire away if you wish to share, or "pm" if ya want it private.

Bob out.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

Hot_Rodder

Here's something to feast your eyes on :eyes: