News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Boycott Chinese products

Started by 73chgrSE, August 25, 2007, 04:00:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70charger_boy

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on August 28, 2007, 09:39:21 AM

We should be glad that China is willing to buy our dollars by the truckload year after year to hold our inflation down.  If the world really understood America's true economic situation, they'd probably dump their U.S. dollars as fast as they could get it done. That would REALLY give us a dose of october 1929.

And we should have been kicking everyone out of Washington decades ago for borrowing to cover our debt/productivity losses and allowing the problem to fester for an entire generation.

:iagree:

Arthu®

I don't know what to say... Some people make sense, most are just off the hook... Did any of you ever study world economies, import/export, trade markets, stuff like that? What about the worlds financial market (which has a lot to do with it)? So unless you did or do please stop putting out all the nonsense. I don't consider myself an expert of any kind, I know my fair share about the Chinese economy/trade market related to Europe, but to the US it would be different. Since I would have no idea what I am talking about, I keep my mouth shut, in order to keep myself from making a fool out of myself...

Arthur
Striving for world domination since 1986

Khyron

Quote from: Arthu® on August 28, 2007, 10:00:30 AM
I don't know what to say... Some people make sense, most are just off the hook... Did any of you ever study world economies, import/export, trade markets, stuff like that? What about the worlds financial market (which has a lot to do with it)? So unless you did or do please stop putting out all the nonsense. I don't consider myself an expert of any kind, I know my fair share about the Chinese economy/trade market related to Europe, but to the US it would be different. Since I would have no idea what I am talking about, I keep my mouth shut, in order to keep myself from making a fool out of myself...

Arthur

I don't get involved with Politcal threads myself. BUT, I do try to buy american when I can. not for any other reason then to support the companys. Just like I try to buy Car parts from local mom and pop shops before I go online or to the major chains.

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Arthu®

I wasn't bashing anyone in particular and if you do that, more power to you. You do what you stand for and that's fine my me. But boycotting Chinese products? Like it would even be possible...

Arthur

Mike DC

I'm not trying to sound particularly controversial (or very well-informed) in the bull I spout.   

But just looking at the basics of the America/China/USD situation already seems scary enough to me.

Charger_Fan

Quote from: Khyron on August 28, 2007, 09:12:23 AM
also
http://www.unionjeancompany.com/

CLoths made in America. well priced and good quality.
Great, I need some new pants! :icon_smile_big:
Damn, looks like you can only buy them online...it sucks not being able to try them on. :-\  I'll give 'em a shot anyway.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Arthu®

I agree that it may seem scary, but the way I see it, the chinese economy will implode way before they are truely ready to take over the world. Which is what some people are concerned about. The Chinese economy is basically artificially held back, as they have no consumption themselves. It is a country that complete relies on export and therefore on the rates of the bigger currencies in the world, not exactly an ideal situation. And not something that can be maintained forerver. The Chinese government is therefore trying to get their own people to buy stuff instead of saving every penny.

Arthur

Brock Samson

Mike DC

QuoteI agree that it may seem scary, but the way I see it, the chinese economy will implode way before they are truely ready to take over the world. Which is what some people are concerned about. The Chinese economy is basically artificially held back, as they have no consumption themselves. It is a country that complete relies on export and therefore on the rates of the bigger currencies in the world, not exactly an ideal situation. And not something that can be maintained forerver. The Chinese government is therefore trying to get their own people to buy stuff instead of saving every penny.

I agree that's what is happening now, but I don't think that's what will happen later on.

I remember once reading some guy who was comparing the China situation to America during WWII:  He was arguing that China "needs" America to buy its goods the same way that America "needed" the war in the '40s to give them jobs.  But once that war ended, we just turned to keeping that stuff ourselves instead of using all that effort to kill Japs & Nazis.  We didn't suffer from the end of the war.  We had been kicked into gear by dumping that effort into the war, but once it was over we benefited a lot more.  We started keeping those factories making goods for ourselves & to export, rather than destroying all that effort in battle over Europe & the Pacific.

It seems to me that China would have little reason to keep pumping products into American hands if they didn't think the American dollars they're getting in return were valuable anymore.  So we're dependent on China's belief that our dollar is worth something.  Is it really?  I'm not so sure anymore.  We abandoned any gold backing for the currency decades ago, our manufacturing base is dwindling fast, and we're trillions in debt/liabilties.  IMHO, we're running out of justifications for why our currency should continue to carry the weight that it does.

Arthu®

Like I said I am not going to say anything about the Chinese/US relation, as I know too little about it. I just wanted to state the fact that the Chinese economy is redlining and has come to a boiling point which unless something is going to change in the near future will be catastrophical in my opinion. Some agree, some don't in the end the economy remains unpredictable and we'll just have to sit it out and see what happens. China is doing their best to establish a local market for their products, if it works out they could very well become the most powerfull country on earth.

Arthur

The70RT

Quote from: Arthu® on August 29, 2007, 05:30:09 AM
Like I said I am not going to say anything about the Chinese/US relation, as I know too little about it. I just wanted to state the fact that the Chinese economy is redlining and has come to a boiling point which unless something is going to change in the near future will be catastrophical in my opinion. Some agree, some don't in the end the economy remains unpredictable and we'll just have to sit it out and see what happens. China is doing their best to establish a local market for their products, if it works out they could very well become the most powerfull country on earth.

Arthur

And the most polluted. We put out more pollution than them right now. The rate they are going they should pass us soon.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Mike DC

That's very true. 

As I understand it, China doesn't give a F*@K about environmental damage they cause. 
They're basically behaving like we would do if we had no EPA whatsoever. 

73chgrSE

I had to buy some tools today and to support my stance I only bought tools made in america and something from mexico. But I did have to drive to 3 different places to avoid buying chinese.

Khyron

wait... I thought China's main export was lead.

:icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.