News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

why is my engine popping through exhuast....?

Started by MikeMacCham, August 22, 2007, 07:47:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeMacCham

I have a 68 charger which was originally a 318, at some point it was converted to a 440 (not sure what they got it out of or what year, i think 73') When I got the car we replaced the cam shaft which had a frozen lifter and that lobe of the cam had been worn down. The engine was advanced 4*, we set that back to 0*. Then there was a issue with the radiator, so we got that fixed, we were trying a new carberator on the car to see which one I wanted to buy and we noticed the engine ran fine but when the engine reved it popped. It was running a little weak before we traded the carberator out, but not this bad. What we have done to try to fix it:

put the first carberator back on (still has problem)
replaced the distributer cap, rotar and spark plug wires
new ignition module

ANY ideas would help, thanks guys!
"YOU MEAN SHINANIGANS!?"

firefighter3931

Mike, first thing to check for is vacuum leaks. How does the carb base gasket look ?

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

jg68

Timing, Timing, Timing, if you set it at 0* on the tab, its way too low, set it at around 10* Advanced at idle with the vacuum advance plugged, i'll bet it runs alot better & stops popping :cheers:

deputycrawford

I agree with firefighter. I would check for vacuum leaks. Take a propane torch. Don't light it; but turn on the gas. Run it around the carb base, intake, vacuum lines and anywhere you think could cause a vacuum leak. Put it really close to the object you are testing while the engine is running. If the engine revs up at a certain object, like the base gasket, you have found your vacuum leak. Replace gasket and you might have fixed the problem. Start there and get back to us.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

MikeMacCham

I EFF'N Love you guys, will do today and thanks. Hey Firefighter 3931, what department do you work for? I'm with LAFD.
"YOU MEAN SHINANIGANS!?"

firefighter3931

Mike, i'm in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. The freakin frozen North !!!  :lol:

Let us know what you find.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

MikeMacCham

ok 80% fixed, the vacume fitting for the head lights was unplugged, but it is still firing in the exhuast...
and timing is 12* initial, about 40 total
"YOU MEAN SHINANIGANS!?"

68chrgrwife

I would have said the vacumm advance too...I had that problem with my chally, we just made it stay open at all times and it stopped popping.
MOPAR OR NO CAR BABY!
LOVING MY HUBBY: CHARGERMAN68
1973 DODGE CHALLENGER: SOLD :(
1968 DODGE CHARGER RT CLONE (OK, SO IT'S HUBBY'S BUT IT'S MINE TOO, RIGHT?)
2008 DODGE CHARGER
2005 DODGE MAGNUM R/T (YES IT'S GOTTA HEMI)!

MikeMacCham

we talked to a guy that said it may be a fuel issue (like not enough)since its a bored out 440, that kinda makes sence since the problem chaned w/ different carbertors, i'll keep ya posted :naughty:
"YOU MEAN SHINANIGANS!?"

MikeMacCham

that actually made it worse, we took  out a spark plug and it was black/ to rich, so we tryed a smaller fuel jet and that didn't work either. I am replacing the spark plugs and distributer pick up just in case that works, if not then we are going to take it to a shop and put it on a scope.... :icon_smile_question: :icon_smile_question: :icon_smile_question:
"YOU MEAN SHINANIGANS!?"

firefighter3931

Mike,

Pull a plug wire and ground it to the engine while cranking the engine over. Look at the arcing spark for color....dull orange means your ignition system is weak. Whiteish-blue means the spark is strong. You might have a weak ignition system.

Double check the plug wires as well....it's not uncommon to mix up the #5 & #7 wires when installing new leads.  ;)

Ron

jg68

Quote from: firefighter3931 on August 24, 2007, 12:02:11 PM
Mike,

Pull a plug wire and ground it to the engine while cranking the engine over. Look at the arcing spark for color....dull orange means your ignition system is weak. Whiteish-blue means the spark is strong. You might have a weak ignition system.

Double check the plug wires as well....it's not uncommon to mix up the #5 & #7 wires when installing new leads.  ;)

Ron

:2thumbs: :2thumbs:

pb24

Hey Mike I work for the LAFD. what station do you work at?

MikeMacCham

"YOU MEAN SHINANIGANS!?"

MikeMacCham

I changed the spark plugs and it seems to run alot smother... :naughty: didn't seem to pop. One of the spark plugs had no gap at all
Now the question is should I put the thick fuel line back in and advance the timing? Will it run better? I think it's at like advanced 20 right now, and the jet fuel size was 71? :popcrn: should it be bigger for a bored 440 w/ a 750 cfm carb?
"YOU MEAN SHINANIGANS!?"