News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Converting to disc's

Started by tin_soldier, August 21, 2007, 05:55:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tin_soldier

Hey guys I need some thoughts please.  I had originally 4 wheel manual drum.  I swap the front drum to disc.  I am still running manual for the time.  I bought a new MC.  I was told I cod reuse the ARM form the brake pedal to the MC.  IS that correct??  IF so I think I need a new rubber gasket/ring.  When I go to insert the rod into the MC it is very loose.  Where can I find a new one??

Thanks

j

is_it_EVER_done?

A disk M/C for power brakes does not have the machined recess in the pushrod bore that locks the manual pushrod into the M/C bore. this can cause the pushrod to fall out of the M/C resulting in zero brakes. Plus any Disk M/C for power brakes will be too big a bore to work properly with manual brakes.

You will be much happier keeping your drum brake M/C (1"piston), making sure that you either have removed, or don't have a residual pressure valve in the rear (firewall) portion of the M/C (the section that feeds the front brakes), and check the fluid level every few months (as it doesn't have the large reservoir that disk M/C's have.

The only other options is to use an A body manuel disk M/C (15/16th's piston), or go to a power brake setup which includes the booster, brake pedal bellcrank/pushrod assembly, and the firewall plate for the booster system.

Also you MUST use a proportioning valve off of either a disk front car, or an adjustable proportion valve, otherwise your brakes will never work properly and will be dangerous as the rears will lock up long before the fronts start working.

tin_soldier

Thanks for the info.  I think I am going to just go all the way and put in poer brakes.  Rock auot sells a setup with the MC and power bosster allready to go.

Cheers    :cheers: