News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

MoparStuart's Convertible Superbird Project Pic's

Started by MOPARHOUND!, August 17, 2007, 01:29:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moparstuart

:popcrn: had to go back to my buddy leo's to take car show goodie bag stuff and door prizes over for out HPAc mopar clud show this weekend , so i got more pictures of the bird and its hurt motor

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

moparstuart

:popcrn: burnt out gaskets   why i got the remflex ones  ,  you can see where the bottom of the piston was rubbing on the crank and even cracked the piston   

moparstuart

:popcrn: cam looks great even where my fuel pump rod  was eaten the cam is still great , this cam may go into my 440 motor i'm building for my 70 road runner or for my 69 charger 500 .  quite a bit of carbon in the head

moparstuart

:popcrn: head gastets were still in perfect shape

moparstuart

:popcrn:  empty engine bay

moparstuart

:drool5:

moparstuart

all the ddor prize and goodie bag stuffings i brought over  , we are going to stuff bags tuesday night

BigBlockSam

i wouldn't reuse that cam  but thats just me
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

moparstuart

Quote from: BigBlockSam on July 05, 2010, 07:38:25 PM
i wouldn't reuse that cam  but thats just me
why do you say that ?  less than 3k miles on it and looks great no wear at all  ?  :shruggy:

BigBlockSam

i don't reuse cams that have been broken in already or stored for a long time. . especially in a new motor .unless you can match the lifter to the lob it was running on .  that's just one of my rules of thumb . plus you wiped out a distributor gear in that cam . you might not be able to see a problem starting.
don't break a new motor for a $150 cam .   :Twocents: you never take my advise anyway  :yesnod:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

moparstuart

Quote from: BigBlockSam on July 06, 2010, 12:59:58 PM
i don't reuse cams that have been broken in already or stored for a long time. . especially in a new motor .unless you can match the lifter to the lob it was running on .  that's just one of my rules of thumb . plus you wiped out a distributor gear in that cam . you might not be able to see a problem starting.
don't break a new motor for a $150 cam .   :Twocents: you never take my advise anyway  :yesnod:
we have all the lifters matched and lables to go back the way they came out , no gear was wiped out just the fuel rod and it was a soft one that mopar is having problems with , ran the hughes hardened on for the last year on this cam and it looks great .   , this cam looks so good I 'm not scared of it at all . 

oldcarnut

Quote from: BigBlockSam on July 06, 2010, 12:59:58 PM
i don't reuse cams...:

I had a little Dr Seuss book for my grandson and rewrote your reply  :D.  Sorry for the bad humor.  I guess too much time on the roof and heat today  :slap:
Green Birds and Cam

My names BigBlockSam
Big BlockSam I am
I don't drive green Birds
or reuse a cam

I do not like them
here or there
Neither from storage
Not even anywhere.

Not without the lifters
Or broken in some
Don't care if it's stored
Just my rule of thumb

Won't take my advise
BigBlockSam I am
or reuse a cam

moparstuart

:smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:  that was great

it may be cursed from being in the birdible may be a good idea not to put it in my 500    :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

FLG

Stu..

Buy a new cam, there was some metal floating around in that oil, who knows...for the money just go new.

moparstuart

Quote from: FLG on July 06, 2010, 03:38:33 PM
Stu..

Buy a new cam, there was some metal floating around in that oil, who knows...for the money just go new.
we bought the big magnet drain plug and found no extra metal in the motor anywhere . We also drained this oil filter and checked that oil really well for metal  .,  A year ago when it ate the fuel pump rod we did three really quick oil changes and must have gotten most of the extra metal then .   I would be way more concern if we had not taken these steps .  I really like the way this cam preformed it was just not engineered to run with the six pac set up .    It will do great in a single 4  440 . But thats another project for down the road .

BigBlockSam

View Profile Email Personal Message (Offline)

Re: MoparStuart's Convertible Superbird Project Pic's
« Reply #1061 on: Today at 01:24:07 PM »
   Reply with quoteQuote
Quote from: BigBlockSam on Today at 11:59:58 AM
i don't reuse cams...:

I had a little Dr Seuss book for my grandson and rewrote your reply  Cheesy.  Sorry for the bad humor.  I guess too much time on the roof and heat today  slap
Green Birds and Cam

My names BigBlockSam
Big BlockSam I am
or reuse a cam

I do not like them
here or there
Neither from storage
Not even anywhere.

Not without the lifters
Or broken in some
Don't care if it's stored
Just my rule of thumb

Won't take my advise
BigBlockSam I am
or reuse a cam

:smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :cheers: you got way to much time on your hands and i'll drive any birdie any color .  if ya let me  :cheers:

i told you Stu won't take my advise .  :nana:

WINGMAN

Stuart  Next time you need a good 440 call me I have two  one in the Daytona and one in the 500  Might cost ya a bit more as they come with the car.  :icon_smile_big:  Jay.   :cheers:
69 Daytona XX29L9B409032 , 02 Ram Cummins,

hotrod98

It's always a tough decision as to how far to go. On the one hand it looks like all of the metal particles are gone but on the other, sometimes a little piece can be hiding somewhere.
This new problem didn't create any new metal particles, you've driven it quite a bit since the previous problem and I'm assuming that all of the bearings looked fine.
I say clean it up and put it together. If that cam didn't flatten a lobe before now, it shouldn't on this go-round either.

My luck is usually a lot like yours. I just bought a 70 Challenger plum crazy RT/SE, 383 car to restore. Hopefully my luck is better with this 383 than it has been in the past.  ;D

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

pettybird

Quote from: hotrod98 on July 06, 2010, 11:24:35 PM
Hopefully my luck is better with this 383 than it has been in the past.  ;D

why?  did your boat drift off without it?

hotrod98

;D
I tend to buy a lot of 68 and 69 runners and superbees and most of them have 383's. It's just a fact of life. Never understood why they didn't put good ole 440 four barrel's in them. I always try to keep the correct engines in my cars so if it's a 383 car, it's going to have a 383 in it.
For the most part, the problems that I've had with 383's have been minor ones. Mostly dealing with leaks, etc.
There are several guys that I drag race with that prefer b blocks over rb blocks. They say that they live longer.

Charles Addams

moparstuart

Quote from: WINGMAN on July 06, 2010, 06:34:25 PM
 Stuart  Next time you need a good 440 call me I have two  one in the Daytona and one in the 500  Might cost ya a bit more as they come with the car.  :icon_smile_big:  Jay.   :cheers:
JR remember the daytona is mine anyway sometime in the future , so lets just keep it in one piece for now  please  :D    hope to see you friday at briggs ???  the cruise across kansas is coming through  hope you can make it  ????

moparstuart

Quote from: hotrod98 on July 07, 2010, 08:42:47 AM
;D
I tend to buy a lot of 68 and 69 runners and superbees and most of them have 383's. It's just a fact of life. Never understood why they didn't put good ole 440 four barrel's in them. I always try to keep the correct engines in my cars so if it's a 383 car, it's going to have a 383 in it.
For the most part, the problems that I've had with 383's have been minor ones. Mostly dealing with leaks, etc.
There are several guys that I drag race with that prefer b blocks over rb blocks. They say that they live longer.

built the 383 in this car 15 years ago , this motor is 30 over with a mild street cam, mild stall , and runs like a bat out of hell .  We have abused it all over the country and it starts up and goes every time .  I love 383's it the damn 440 thats are cursed for me .   :Twocents:
    and again this cam is not going back in this motor I have the new mr six pac cam for the superbird.
the heads and crank are going out to be checked and hopefully new rod and pistons will be here soon .

hotrod98

Charles Addams

moparstuart

BigBlockSam

383's are good motors but they don't compare to a healthy 440 . it's easier to get hp out of a 440 . we use to take good running 383's out of cars and discard them . just to install 440's . i wish i had some of those 383's now .  :Twocents: