News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need to know what parts I need to pull off a junk yard car...

Started by IowaCharger69, August 14, 2007, 06:12:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IowaCharger69

I have 1969 Dodge Charger with a non original 400 and manual all wheel drum brakes. I found a 78 Cordoba with front disks and a complete 400. I would like to yank the electric ignition out of the car but honestly don't know what all I need to take off of it to make it work on my currently points car. Distributer I know, but what and where are the other parts? I would also like to pull the disks and master cylinder to upgrade my Charger to power disks. Are these parts compatible? 

Thanks in advance!

-Tom

chargerbr549

The electronic ignition should work as long as its not a lean burn system, it should say it on the air cleaner and it will have the computer mounted on the side of the air cleaner( do not use), if not get the dist., the five wire plug harness the brain box and the ballast resister and wire it on your car, they recommend going to a special voltage regulator or convert to the 70 and newer voltage regulator to run your electronic ignition but I have run the stock 69 points style regulator with no problems.

Brake system off of the cordoba should bolt on fine but there is a big debate over using the spindles on the cordoba since they are taller than the factory 69 drum ones, that brake system is basically what I did on my 69 Charger but I used the 73-76 A-body spindles instead of the taller cordoba ones otherwise the brake calipers and adapters and parts will interchange between the two different spindles as far as the master cylinder that I am not sure if that will work or not I just ended up using my 69 drum brake master cylinder and removed the residual pressure check valve  and have had no problems, if you want to stay with a disc brake master cylinder keep the bore under 1" and I think the 73-74 A and B bodys had manual disc brake cylinders from the factory but I am not completely sure about that.

Kevin

idahogrumpy

If you have the storage area I would pull the complete engine, radiator, transmission and drive line. I would also pull the complete brake system from the front as stated above. If it were me I would also remove the axles and pull the rear brakes as an assembly, backing plates to drums. Pull any and all interior screws and some of the most commonly lost bolts, such as hood bolts. These parts are very handy to have around when you are working on old mo pars. 1978 cordoba should be lean burn unless it has been converted and of no use to you. :Twocents:    Grumpy
Too much to say
Too much to do
Too tired to get it done
Too stubborn to give up
GRUMPY
Modified 73 440 Charger, 03 Intrepid SXT, 02 Neon and 2001 Ram 1500 .

supserdave

Yep, probably a lean burn. I would keep the motor and tranny if you can get it cheap.

MR.MIKE

ALSO GET THE DISC BRAKE PROPORTION VALVE FROM THE CAR !!  :Twocents:

IowaCharger69

Are the taller spindles not usable then? Will I need to get different ones?  What about control arms?

chargerbr549

Mopar Actions article years ago preached big time about not using the taller spindles because it will supposedly put the balljoints at too much of an angle and induce too much bumpsteer into your suspension, but I know several people that have done it and read about alot of people doing it and there having no handling problems, so I guess it's your call. The control arms will work just fine off of your Charger.

Kevin

IowaCharger69

Thanks for the quick replies. I hope I am not being too much of a pest, but that last reply gave way to another question. What would too much bump steer feel like?

chargerbr549

Bumpsteer is basically when your caster and camber angles and toe in changes too much during your suspension travel and tends to cause the front of the car to seem to wander around when your hitting bumps, lowspots or ruts in the road.

Kevin

41husk

it will feel like your car is floating away from you if yo hit a bump or change in footing.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

BlueSS454

I did a similar conversion on my 69.  I took the whole spindle setup from a 78 Magnum (same as a 78 Cordoba),  I used the spindle, backing plate, and caliper bracket.  You'll need a special upper control arm bushing that Moog sells for positive camber.  Youwill need to install them the reverse of the instructions so that you can gain more positive caster and bring the car into alignment.  I also rear mounted the calipers.  There are NO clearance issues whatsoever on mine.  I can take some pics anf post them up if you like.
Tom Rightler

IowaCharger69

That would be really great, the pics that is. I picked up all the parts last week, and have just been staring at them. My wife had a pretty horrible accident a few weeks ago and her medical bills are starting to roll in. I am hoping that these rotors and calipers are okay. I need to get back there and yank the 400 and tranny, then the rear end.

Steve P.

Oh crap... I sure hope your wife is allright.. 

I would not bother with the entire rear end. It's the 11 or 12 inch brakes and backing plates you want. The housing and axles won't do you any good. Just pull the cover, pin, C-clips and then the axles. Once they are out of the way you can cut the brake lines and pull the bolts holding the backing plates on.. Take them home and clean them up. Blast and paint. New cylinders, shoes, springs and you have a beast of a braking system..

:cheers:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida