News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need someone to explain rearend lingo for me...

Started by Marck, August 13, 2007, 10:01:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marck

Hey everyone..

Been investigating the rearend market, looking to buy a Dana, and I've come across theese two words, that I don't know the meaning of...

Posi or Spool...? What does it mean...? What's the difference..? What would you choose...? Feelin' a bit dumb here...  :eyes:

What gear ratio should I run...? I'm looking for a cruiser, that can haul a** when I want to, and can do highway without reving too high....

I'm putting a 500 stroker in it, so if that's important, well then now you know... :icon_smile_cool:

Thanks..

-Marck

Nacho-RT74

spool is a direct drive between both side axles and pinion/driveshaft. No posibility to slip between sides when different traction. Is used for race, not street.

Posi is GM therm to what Mopar calls Suregrip and Ford Limited Slip. Is an intermediate way betwen open differential and spool mount. Allow you to get diff traction on hard moments but on regular use does have a system that keeps both axles engaged and gives same traction. There is two kinds: cone ( also called Auburn kind ) and clutch kind. Clutch is the earliers and cone is the laters. Both works similar.

Ppl normally choose clutch kind since they are easy to rebuilt and cheap because rebuilt kits are available anywhere and you can do it by yourself. Sometime ago Cone kind was said were not rebuildable but apparently yes they are, just that need more job, like machine job and stuff like that.

does look I learnt something HUH ? LOL

Ratio? depends of your car useage and what will you link: camshaft choose, torque converter ( if auto tranny ) and wheels. Normal street Mopar Ratios are between 3:23 and 3:55. More common 3:23
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

crusty440

I just got 3:55 in my Dana 60, not bad on the low end and OK to cruise the highway

Marck

Allright...

Thanks guys, now it makes sense to me...  ;)