News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

what came standard

Started by lee, August 07, 2007, 09:40:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lee

My friend has a 68 coronet 4 door with a factory 440 in it what would be the standard rear end in this just guessing the car is 3 hours away at his farm it has a bench seat column shift can anyone shed some light hopefully we know what the rear ends look like but we can't remember what we saw were those factory danas or just only 8 3/4s

1BAD68

if its a factory 440 engine car, I would say a 8 3/4 742 case.
if its a 440 coronet then I would think a 741 case

Troy

It's a 4-door with a factory 440? You sure it's not a Coronet 440 (the trim level - not the engine size)? I thought a 440 engine could only be had in an R/T. Of course, Galen has one with a Hemi so who knows. From what little I know, a big block car should be an 8 3/4. The case should probably be a 742 if it's original (high weight, medium to high horsepower).

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

pettyfan43

Something is fishy, the 440 wasn't available on the 4 door, even the police Coronet Police cars had 383 HPs.

Check out the vin number, just because it says "Coronet 440" don't mean it has a 440 in it. Could be a 383.

If it's a LEGIT Coronet 4 door with a factory 440, it's one of ONE! Don't part it out!

69CoronetRT

I would like very much to see an original 68 Coronet 440 model four door with a 440 CI engine from the factory. That would be something.....

Odds are this is a 318 car.

Per parts book...

/6 could be a 7 1/4
318 = 657 or 741
383 = 985 or 742
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

Charger1973

I know a guy with a Coronet "440" and even though its a 318 car he really thinks his car has a 440 in it.  I told him it wasnt but he just cracks another beer open and says yeah it is.   :scratchchin:

lee

If this isn't factory someone sure went to alot of trouble then it has the original green paint with 440 emblems on the quarters and special door panels that say 440 on them as well and the the whole dash you know the part that goes over the glove box like a charger that says coronet 440 also next time i'm out there i will get the serial number.the grille looks like a 500 grille and all the trim along the bottom of the doors and around the pedals

Charger1973

The Coronet 440 is just a model name, sort of like a Charger 500.

lee

so you don't think this is right because it is hard to believe everything is still on that car air cleaner manifolds everyting looks factory and this thing hasn't been touch in 25 to 30 years

hemigeno

The "Coronet 440" was a trim package - and did not indicate the CID of the engine itself.  Without knowing what the VIN number is, it's hard to say for certain what that car is or isn't.  What we're saying is that none of us have seen or heard of a 440CID equipped 4-door "Coronet 440", so it's unlikely that it's the case.  Hopefully you can post what the VIN number is so we can help you figure out what the car really is.

:popcrn:

69CoronetRT

Quote from: lee on August 08, 2007, 12:05:28 AM
If this isn't factory someone sure went to alot of trouble then it has the original green paint with 440 emblems on the quarters and special door panels that say 440 on them as well and the the whole dash you know the part that goes over the glove box like a charger that says coronet 440 also next time i'm out there i will get the serial number.the grille looks like a 500 grille and all the trim along the bottom of the doors and around the pedals

A 68 Coronet 440 would have the words "CORONET 440" on the rear quarter panels ahead of the light. They would be individual letters and numbers. Also, the words "Coronet 440" would appear above the glove box. Just to clarify, does it have a Coronet 500 grille with the metal center piece or were you comparing the 68 Coronet grille to a 69 Charger 500 grille? The 69 Charger 500 used the same grille as the 68 Coronet. Rocker panel moldings and pedal dress up would be an option on the Coronet 440 model.

Many people believe the Coronet 440 came with the 440 engine simply because they see the numbers 440 on the side. The numbers indicate a model number, not displacement.

The VIN probably reads WH41G8
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

lee

next time i go out there i will get it and it was a 500 grille or thought it was

Brock Samson

look where the distributor is... front of engine or back...
and/or give us the fender tag info..

Ghoste

That whole 440 engine 440 trim thing has to be one of the most confusing marketing decisions Dodge ever made.  It must have been a real treat for salesmen back in 69.

hemigeno

Quote from: Ghoste on August 08, 2007, 10:03:40 AM
It must have been a real treat for salesmen back in 69.

For those who cared about telling their customers the truth, that is... 

Ghoste

Oh God yes.  :smilielol:    It must have been a treat for service and parts people as well.

Brock Samson

my first car, was a dodge 880, which was made specifically for the C.H.P before they even had 440s...  :shruggy:
the 440 model of the coronet was around in '66 i belive..

Ghoste

I believe you are correct Mr. Brock sir.  And the 440 engine also greeted the world in 1966 IIRC (not in a Coronet of course).

69CoronetRT

Quote from: Brock Samson on August 08, 2007, 10:23:19 AM
my first car, was a dodge 880, which was made specifically for the C.H.P before they even had 440s...  :shruggy:
the 440 model of the coronet was around in '66 i belive..

When the Coronet name was brought back with the 65 model year, the line up consisted of the Coronet Deluxe, Coronet, 440, a 500. The R/T was added in 67 and the Super Bee in 68. The 440 and 500 model names stuck around until 70.

If you remember the article on GG's 68 Hemi 440 model in MCG, even the guy that sold it to Galen thought it had a 440 engine because of the trim designation.

The link shows model line ups and production numbers.
http://www.glenwood76.com/Coronet_Production_67_74.htm

QuoteI believe you are correct Mr. Brock sir.  And the 440 engine also greeted the world in 1966 IIRC (not in a Coronet of course).

Ghoste, I know you meant for the 66 model year (meaning the first engines were cast and assembled in '65) not calendar year but I thought a a little clarification would help.

dodgecharger-fan

Dodge 330 anyone?  :icon_smile_big:

http://www.bcautos.com/musclecars/1964dodge330.html

I got fooled by the Coronet 440 once.

[Johnny Dangerously voice]Once.[/Johnny Dangerously voice]

It IS confusing and kind of a goofy move on Chrysler's part, but I'd take one and not complain.

Ghoste

Quote from: 69CoronetRT on August 08, 2007, 11:57:06 AM
Ghoste, I know you meant for the 66 model year (meaning the first engines were cast and assembled in '65) not calendar year but I thought a a little clarification would help.

Yes, I did thank you.  Probably also worth mentioning that it was a C-body engine in it's first year and wasn't offered in our beloved B-bodies until the 67 model year.  Not sure what year it was first available in a truck.  Todd?