News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

humiliated at santa pod!!!

Started by gordo1968charger, August 02, 2007, 02:32:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gordo1968charger

hi there everyone,
i thought the best day of my life would be this sunday just gone,my 68 charger restoration was finished,and i was going to the strip,
disaster struck in the form of a 17 second quarter mile time!!!!!!!!
it seemed a lot quicker before the restoration!!(drivetrain is completely stock BTW)
the engine is a 383 with 4 barrel carb.
the engine is running spot on but the launch was piss poor to say the least.
on the drive down i was doing about 80 mph at 3000rpm,is my axle ratio 2:90 to 1???
when money is available,i intend to change the whole drive train.(within the next year)
it has an 8.75 axle at the minute changing to a dana with 3:90 gears,IS THIS OK???who is the best supplier??
changing the stall converter,what make?what rpm?HELP PLEASE!!!!!!
next is the engine,spoke to some mechanic buddies and they say stroker is the ONLY way to go,
hoping to get a 440 block and build one,
edelbrock heads are a must i assume,
440 source for the stroker kit,ARE THESE GUYS OK??
ron and chryco please feel free to share your massive knowledge in this department.
thanks
gordo

68 charger+4 kids=2 jobs

Ghoste

17 seconds with a 383 and that rear axle ratio is not that far out of line.  The gear change will help quite a bit.

70charger_boy

Who cares about going fast when you're riding in style :shruggy:

Jon Smith

how fast do you want to go?
no need to change the axle unless you're thinking of running slicks and even then you could probably go 11s or quicker with the 8.75, just get some gears and a sure grip for the axle you've got
no point buying a converter until you know the spec your engine is going to be, where the powerband is etc...
someone more knowledgeable than me will step in here...
stroker motors are definately in at the moment(I have one and its great) but you can go still quick with a stock sized engine
at least your charger was at the euronats...I was relegated to the stands....I didn't bring it because of the poor weather forecasts, which turned out to be wrong :brickwall: went in the  more economical barracuda (would have been happy with a 17 in that!)

aifilaw

Your 383 block is fine, see this latest of the "383" threads for details

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,31945.0.html

Beyond that, 2.76 gears and a tired 383, and a poor launch... 16-17s, yeah that's typical.
'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads

firefighter3931

Gordo, stroke the 383 using the 440 source kit. The link in the post above is a good starting point if you're looking to make in the 500hp range. Of course you'll need the right stall speed and gearing to make it all come together.  :yesnod:

If it's done right and you get all the power to the ground....your car will be very respectable.  :2thumbs:

The 500in stroker while nice, requires more drivetrain upgrades (Dana 60) which adds significant costs.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

SeattleCharger

Quote from: firefighter3931 on August 02, 2007, 08:35:50 AM
Gordo, stroke the 383 using the 440 source kit. The link in the post above is a good starting point if you're looking to make in the 500hp range. Of course you'll need the right stall speed and gearing to make it all come together.  :yesnod:

If it's done right and you get all the power to the ground....your car will be very respectable.  :2thumbs:

The 500in stroker while nice, requires more drivetrain upgrades (Dana 60) which adds significant costs.

Ron

If an aluminum head 440 with steel crank is coming in around maybe 480 hp with a stock 8 3/4 rear,  and the difference to a 600+ hp stroked 440, then you go to a dana?  what is cost of that?   I have also heard a stock 727 is good up to 500 hp, then a stroker 440 would need what upgrades? $$? in trans?  thanks, nate 

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

firefighter3931

Quote from: SeattleChargerDog on August 02, 2007, 08:47:16 PM
Quote from: firefighter3931 on August 02, 2007, 08:35:50 AM

Ron

If an aluminum head 440 with steel crank is coming in around maybe 480 hp with a stock 8 3/4 rear,  and the difference to a 600+ hp stroked 440, then you go to a dana?  what is cost of that?   I have also heard a stock 727 is good up to 500 hp, then a stroker 440 would need what upgrades? $$? in trans?  thanks, nate 

Nate, figure on around 2k for the dana/driveshaft upgrade. The 727 with some descent clutches, bands and a nice valvebody will live fine behind a stroker. I would figure on the same amount for a well built trans/converter.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

gordo1968charger

ron,
could you give me a shopping list for everything i d need to stroke my 383 to a 438,including suppliers,(exactly as you d do it) i can start stock piling my parts,obviously without the wifes knowledge!
thanks
gordo
68 charger+4 kids=2 jobs

Nacho-RT74

what axle do you have ?... number ?
just in case I have couple of rings and pinions NOS for sale

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,31349.0.html
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

gordo1968charger

68 charger+4 kids=2 jobs

firefighter3931

Quote from: gordo1968charger on August 05, 2007, 01:21:05 AM
ron,
could you give me a shopping list for everything i d need to stroke my 383 to a 438,including suppliers,(exactly as you d do it) i can start stock piling my parts,obviously without the wifes knowledge!
thanks
gordo

The rotating assembly kit from 440source will have everything you need. I would get the bearings & rings from them as well. They also offer a balancing option for a descent price..i would have that done too.  :yesnod:

The cam, heads and other supporting parts will depend on the power output you're looking for.

Ron

gordo1968charger

ron,
hoping for about 500-550,totally streetable though,
do i get the eddy heads bare or with valves?
what make carb and what cfm?
i am going with dana 60,with probably 3:54 or 3:90 gears,will the propshaft have to be modified or will it straight to the dana?
from what i gather i ll need a 2800 stall,what make though?
thaanks for your help
gordo
68 charger+4 kids=2 jobs

gordo1968charger

i also have fitted hooker competition headers and a 3 inch flowmaster exhaust(i did nt know any better at the time)
68 charger+4 kids=2 jobs

gordo1968charger

what difference would putting a new cam,bigger carb and eddy heads make?????????PLEASE!!!!!!
68 charger+4 kids=2 jobs

firefighter3931

Gordo, here's a good thread to look at for some ideas as to what it takes to make in the 500hp range. Maching the combination of parts is critical if you want a good running car.  ;)

A good converter with a similarly built stroker is the PTC 9.5 in street/strip unit. You will want a matching B&M sfi flexplate to go along with it for hard launches.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,6000.msg70023.html#msg70023

Ron

gordo1968charger

68 charger+4 kids=2 jobs

gordo1968charger

ron
if i follow that build you sent me via the link,bolt for bolt,will it be completely streetable and reliable?i am a bit worried about ruining my numbers matching block.
my local machine shop wants £1000-£1200 labour(iknow f££k all about engines) with me, supplying all the parts.so it wo nt really be a cheap build but if it "does" the business it will be money well spent.
thanks again
gordo
68 charger+4 kids=2 jobs