News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

what should this 512 combo make

Started by mally69, August 01, 2007, 09:34:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mally69

I know i need to be kicked  :slap:  , Its still there, i just may go over there tomarrow to get it, now that im thinking about it.

Rolling_Thunder

Hurry up and get this bad boy on the dyno - I'm curious to see how it runs
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

mally69

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on January 26, 2008, 12:50:22 AM
Hurry up and get this bad boy on the dyno - I'm curious to see how it runs

Im trying  ;)  money is a bit slow right now due to weather, i work construction. Ill pick up the pace and get it finished and dyno'd shortly,  :yesnod: ..

mally69

Well guys its ok to kick me right here  :moon: ...   Well i lost the dana, a few months ago he said he would sell it tome for $900, but now he decided to use it himself :brickwall: :brickwall:  I should have scooped it up earlier..

So, should i buy an all new one ready to go for $1800 or find a used one or cut one down  to the B-boby specs. What do you think i should do?

Steve P.

You do have some choices.

Dr. Diff can make one up for you.

Strange

Build your own..

Egouge.... 

My pick would be of the first 2 I listed.    :Twocents:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

firefighter3931

Quote from: mally69 on January 29, 2008, 08:48:05 PM
Well guys its ok to kick me right here  :moon: ...   Well i lost the dana, a few months ago he said he would sell it tome for $900, but now he decided to use it himself :brickwall: :brickwall:  I should have scooped it up earlier..

Dammit...that was a smokin deal ; lesson learned  :icon_smile_blackeye:
Quote from: mally69 on January 29, 2008, 08:48:05 PM
So, should i buy an all new one ready to go for $1800 or find a used one or cut one down to the B-boby specs. What do you think i should do?

I would get in touch with DR Diff and get a quote from him. He built mine from a cut down truck housing.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

mally69

I would get in touch with DR Diff and get a quote from him. He built mine from a cut down truck housing. :yesnod:

Ron

What did he charge you for yours, if you don't mind me asking, and did you have to send him the housing.

firefighter3931

Quote from: mally69 on January 29, 2008, 09:16:31 PM
I would get in touch with DR Diff and get a quote from him. He built mine from a cut down truck housing. :yesnod:

Ron

What did he charge you for yours, if you don't mind me asking, and did you have to send him the housing.

That's top secret !  :nana:

Ha Ha....it wasn't too bad. Around $1300 with all new bearings in the carrier, new 35 spline race axles, HD 1330 yoke, 3in studs, green bearings pressed on etc... I did supply the SG unit but everything else he sent out to me. It also came with a conversion u-joint and new u-bolts as well.

The truck housings don't have a provision for the pinion snubber but that's a non issue when using Caltracs or SS springs. You will be using one or the other....no stock leafs with that badboy motor.  :icon_smile_big:

Ron

68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

mally69

Thanks Ron,  Do you have his number by chance, I can't seem to find a web site. unless its the off road site that i found. $1300 seems to be a good price  :2thumbs: .. I am going with SS springs to I can clear 295/65/15 size tire and make the car hook. ;)

firefighter3931

mally69

Well guys i ran into a catasrophie today. I awhile back my current 440 had a spark plug's electrode and ceramic  center break and go through an exhuast valve which in turn wiped a cam lobe which i had fixed.  So, I replaced the cam/lifters but knew the valve was bent  so, i decided to tear that head off and get that fixed. Well hears the scoop, I took the heads to a closer engine builder (which is helping me mock up my 512) and he looked at them and about fell over. The place that worked them over before  NEVER put in hardened seats or the new guides that i paidfor in which they were told to do :icon_smile_angry:. There are absolutley nothing left of the exhuast seats and the intake seats are almost shot but not as bad. So, it would have costed me about $600 to fix my old rotten 906's so today i put in my oreder for 440source's heads.. 

But any how here are some pic's of my 512 with the torque plate bolted on and getting honed...
All these pic's i have taken with my cell phone :icon_smile_big:

firefighter3931

Quote from: mally69 on January 30, 2008, 09:47:27 PM
Well guys i ran into a catasrophie today. I awhile back my current 440 had a spark plug's electrode and ceramic  center break and go through an exhuast valve which in turn wiped a cam lobe which i had fixed.  So, I replaced the cam/lifters but knew the valve was bent  so, i decided to tear that head off and get that fixed. Well hears the scoop, I took the heads to a closer engine builder (which is helping me mock up my 512) and he looked at them and about fell over. The place that worked them over before  NEVER put in hardened seats or the new guides that i paidfor in which they were told to do :icon_smile_angry:. There are absolutley nothing left of the exhuast seats and the intake seats are almost shot but not as bad. So, it would have costed me about $600 to fix my old rotten 906's so today i put in my oreder for 440source's heads.. 

But any how here are some pic's of my 512 with the torque plate bolted on and getting honed...
All these pic's i have taken with my cell phone :icon_smile_big:

Geez, what the hell is going on with machine shops these days !!!  :down: That's outright fraud and inexcusable.....i would be paying them a visit with your reciepts in hand and see what they have to say for themselves.  :smash:

The 512 project is moving right along !  :2thumbs:

Ron

mally69

Quote from: firefighter3931 on January 30, 2008, 10:53:00 PM

Geez, what the hell is going on with machine shops these days !!!  :down: That's outright fraud and inexcusable.....i would be paying them a visit with your reciepts in hand and see what they have to say for themselves.  :smash:

Ron

Well I would do that but that happened 4 years ago with about 2500 - 3000 miles, im a bit upset about that becuase they told me( yea yea when we are done we will just assemble these thing's for you so you don't have to) :fu: :blahblah: :blahblah:  And it took my dana 60 fund from me at this point. All i kow is that they make thousands of dollars on big time expensive motors and they have to screw the small guy just trying to put somthing cool together, They will get a bad rep from now on , becuase I know alot of people in this area that build all kinds of motors. Ill make it highly noticeable.

As for the 512 it is definatley moving forward, little at a time ;)

SeattleCharger

Quote from: mally69 on January 30, 2008, 11:08:56 PM
Quote from: firefighter3931 on January 30, 2008, 10:53:00 PM

Ron

Well I would do that but that happened 4 years ago with about 2500 - 3000 miles, im a bit upset about that becuase they told me( yea yea when we are done we will just assemble these thing's for you so you don't have to) :fu: :blahblah: :blahblah:  And it took my dana 60 fund from me at this point. All i kow is that they make thousands of dollars on big time expensive motors and they have to screw the small guy just trying to put somthing cool together, They will get a bad rep from now on , becuase I know alot of people in this area that build all kinds of motors. Ill make it highly noticeable.

As for the 512 it is definatley moving forward, little at a time ;)

That is dissapointing.    Maybe they would want a chance to make it right with you, you never know,    BEcause of their rep,
       so later they say, hey, we would have made that right, you should have come here and told us, given us the chance.
   If they blow you off, then slam their rep into little pieces,   I don't know. 
anyways, good luck

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

Steve P.

In this case I would take the heads and receipts back to the shop and talk to the owner. Make a copy of the receipt before you show it to him just to be safe, but give them the chance to make things right. If they show you the door I would do everything in my power to let the world know and SEE what you got for your money.. 

Many years ago a top engine shop in New York pulled a switch on a buddy of mine. I knew the owner of the shop myself and called him about it. I didn't get any further than my buddy. Then I called another buddy that uses this shop exclusively and builds about 20 440's per year using them. This buddy made one phone call to the owner telling him he knew both of us well and that he needed to make things right. The owner tried to wiggle out and my buddy told him he would have to find another shop for his and everyone he knows to use.  My buddy got a new 350 and steel crank and all the work that was SUPPOSED to be done in the first place.

If you don't give them a chance to make things right they can't. If you give them the chance and they hand you crap it will be time to make some calls...  :D
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

mally69

:scratchchin:  These are all true, I think I am going to call them about this just to see what they say..

mally69

Here are a few pics i took this morning
1st pic- we set the crank in place just looking at a few things
2nd- piston and rod
3rd- this is the clearance between the block and the rod, I did NOT have to clearance or grind anything away from my block with this kit. It all fit in there pretty clean. ;)
If any body has any questions about my engine feel free to ask. :wave:

mally69

Here are some pics. What we are doing here is checking all the main bearing  clearences which all were ok , EXCEPT the thrust bearing. It kinda gave us a hard time. What happend was as soon as we would get to about 70 ft lbs of torque on the center cap with the  thrust bearing the crank got tight and we lost all end play. So we took the crank out and set just the cap with the thrust bearing's in there and torqued it down, and we found that the bottom half where the two meet on the chamfer and the thrust side ( not journal side) there was a small amount needed sanded on. So we did that and everthing came out good. I have 4 or 5 thousdandths end play, and the cranks turns with just a push of the finger.

Here in these pics the crank is torqued in place, and I set the studs on the caps and block, and just set the girdle on to see how well it fit, and it was perfect.

firefighter3931

Nice work Mally ! The thrust bearing is a known issue with the Source cranks....but an easy fix with a little clearancing. That BCR girdle sytem is one stout setup  :2thumbs:

Ron

Steve P.

That's beautiful. It's a shame to cover up such nice work...  ;)
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

SeattleCharger

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

mally69

OK, now i have a few question's about an ignition system for this brute. What should I get. Plugs, distibuter, coil, ign-box...   

firefighter3931

MSD distributor, coil and 6al box. The firecore50 ignition wires are nice or msd 8.5mm superconductors. NGK 6 series plugs.

Ron

mally69

Quote from: firefighter3931 on February 13, 2008, 03:56:41 PM
MSD distributor, coil and 6al box. The firecore50 ignition wires are nice or msd 8.5mm superconductors. NGK 6 series plugs.

Ron

Perfect, Thanks thats everything i needed to know. :2thumbs:

BLAM

Mally the motor is looking fine!  I was considering that girdle when I was putting my build plan together but I chickened out because I was worried about front end component clearance issues.  Would you be willing to take some close-up pictures and measurements as you install the motor to document oil pan clearances?  I think this info could help a lot of us out in the future.  Your build thread is great to follow, thanks much!

Andy
RLTW - "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - George Orwell