News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

what should this 512 combo make

Started by mally69, August 01, 2007, 09:34:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mally69

Quote from: BLAM on February 16, 2008, 01:22:03 PM
Mally the motor is looking fine!  I was considering that girdle when I was putting my build plan together but I chickened out because I was worried about front end component clearance issues.  Would you be willing to take some close-up pictures and measurements as you install the motor to document oil pan clearances?  I think this info could help a lot of us out in the future.  Your build thread is great to follow, thanks much!

Andy

I would be gald to. :2thumbs:   Although it may be awhile until I go to install this engine into a charger. I actually couldnt make up my mind  if I should put this engine in my 69 or find a 68. I have now decided that the engine will be a bit much for my 69 and i don't want to cut it up becuase its an R/T car. So when its done im gonna have to save for a few months and hopefully I can get some help finding a good solid 68 charger to drop it in, But i wont forget to take the measurements and pics when that time comes.  ;)
Thanks, Justin.

CB

Quotesave for a few months and hopefully I can get some help finding a good solid 68 
:2thumbs: wish I could say that too  :scratchchin:

nice job on that engine!!
CB
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

mally69

Here are some pics I took today..
#1...  We are using the ring compressor to get the piston in the hole with the rings attatched..
#2... Pic of the piston down in the hole
#3... A pic of my cloyes timing chain attached to cam and crank,, ..

Oh and i also looked at my 69 and checked o see how close everything would be IF a girdle was attached and it looks as if it will clear just fine. the center section and everyting else even when the wheels are turned to the right and left has quite a bit of clearence but ill still take pics of the measurements..

six-tee-nine

I am VERY curious what numbers this baby is going to put on the wheels because your built is very similar to what I have mind for the 69

Do you think the girdle is a must for this engine? Or just safety precautions?

Many thanks for the pic's BtW
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

mally69

Quote from: six-tee-nine on February 19, 2008, 06:43:38 AM
I am VERY curious what numbers this baby is going to put on the wheels because your built is very similar to what I have mind for the 69

Do you think the girdle is a must for this engine? Or just safety precautions?

Many thanks for the pic's BtW

Greg from BCR mentioned that just the aluminum caps would probably be enough for this build, but I figured what is another 300 bucks. So I figured it would be better to have the girdle and all that way its a bullet proof bottom end. Also, its there just in case I get a bug and decide to go bigger someday which probably wont happen.  ;)

Steve P.

(WHICH PROBABLY WON'T HAPPEN)....   Famous last words...   :D   ;)
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

mally69

Quote from: Steve P. on February 19, 2008, 01:00:03 PM
(WHICH PROBABLY WON'T HAPPEN)....   Famous last words...   :D   ;)

:smilielol: :smilielol:   With the girdle I have room for improvement :2thumbs:

mally69

here are some pics I took today of the short block all assembled   :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

mally69

more...

Steve P.

Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

firefighter3931

68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Rob R

Very similar to my pump gas 515 ci...350 cfm EZ-1's...32 cc dish JE's...custom roller...lifter bushings..all the rest of the best parts and machine work...it made 730 hp and 625 ft lbs on real pump gas...87 octane...
probably gave up about a 100 ft lbs with the 9.1 cr

mally69

Quote from: Rob R on February 27, 2008, 01:48:27 PM
Very similar to my pump gas 515 ci...350 cfm EZ-1's...32 cc dish JE's...custom roller...lifter bushings..all the rest of the best parts and machine work...it made 730 hp and 625 ft lbs on real pump gas...87 octane...

Nice  :cheers:  Who did the work on your heads ? 

mally69

The timing chain that I am going to use. The one in the earlier pic has been changed to this one. :coolgleamA:

Rob R

I do all my own porting (20 years) and check everything on an old SuperFlow 100...

Nice chain...why did you switch timing sets ?

mally69

Quote from: Rob R on February 28, 2008, 12:51:49 PM
I do all my own porting (20 years) and check everything on an old SuperFlow 100...

Nice chain...why did you switch timing sets ?

Well, during shipping the other one was dropped and had a few teeth missing off of it. Then, Joe the machineist suggested this one, and its adjustable. Which I plan on setting my timing straight up with no advance and no retarding. But if it doesn't degree exactly perfect I can adjust it where ever it needs to be. :2thumbs:

Those are some awesome numbers though, Ill bet its a killer to drive. :cheers:

six-tee-nine

Quote from: Rob R on February 27, 2008, 01:48:27 PM

[/quoe]

How about driveability with such a horsepower monster?

I'm planning a similar built (600 HP tops crossed my mind) but for street use mostly but I want it to be very smooth to drive to, so it must idle decent and not be a pain in the ass to get in traffic with.
Someone once told me that engines over 500 horses are not driveable properly on the street   :shruggy:
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

Rob R

Mine runs like a station wagon...drive it anywhere...BUT...it does have ALL THE RIGHT PARTS...MSD 7AL3...proper carb...proper tune...The cam in this engine is 1/4 step away from an inverted flank profile so it's hard on parts "springs" for me that's no biggie...I know what to expect from parts...
if your running big hp on the street in traffic do your self a favor and step up the ign  :Twocents:...the smallest box I use on a street car with 550 hp is a 7 AL2...

firefighter3931

Hi Rob...welcome to the board !  :wave:

I guess the X is in hibernation in "Winterpeg" huh ? Lots of snow out there ?  We're closing in on a record year here....

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Rob R

Ron...

We got lucky this year with the snow but sure has been COLD..!! way too many days of -40 plus :o
it's coming up on March and we still could get 2 ft...many times the snow has been all gone by the end of March only to have a couple of feet get dumped on us in April :'(

firefighter3931

Quote from: Rob R on February 29, 2008, 08:50:54 AM
Ron...

We got lucky this year with the snow but sure has been COLD..!! way too many days of -40 plus :o
it's coming up on March and we still could get 2 ft...many times the snow has been all gone by the end of March only to have a couple of feet get dumped on us in April :'(

Rob....it seems like Winnepeg is allways freezing cold in the winter. Not as cold here but that means more snowfall and lots more snow to shovel !  :P

This should make ya feel better....this pic was taken in early Jan and there is even more of this white junk on the ground now.  :lol:

Ron

Ps. Sorry for the hijack Mally....we Canadians are just feeling sorry for ourselves  :rofl:

Rob R

LOL....
that's what it's usually looks like around here most years more...but it not bad this year...I don't have a foot of snow on the yard...most winters I have min 4 ft on the yard and 8-9 ft snow banks on both sides of the driveway and I have over 80 ft of driveway :'(

Steve P.

Now I remember EXACTLY why I moved to Florida....    :scared:  I use to deal with the same mounds of white stuff along the shores of Lake Ontario in Rochester, NY.   Now I get pissed when the temp goes below 50*F.  ;)

I did make a pile of money plowing that stuff though....   :2thumbs:

Sorry Mally...   Now back to our regularly scheduled programing.   :cheers:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

mally69

john108

It has been about 70 degrees in the Sacramento, Ca Area