News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rear mounted turbo?

Started by wetfeetmi, September 21, 2005, 07:09:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wetfeetmi

Does anyone have any input on these turbos? I have been hearing a little buzz about them. Where can I get some info? the mount behind the rear axle and send pressurized air all the way back to an airbox surounding the throttle body or carb. Help please!

Ghoste

I read about one recently but I forget where.  It was either Mopar Action or Hot Rod and it was within the last couple of months.
I remember that the guy was still working out some issues but was pretty happy with it.  There was some fabrication involved too.

Stormhammer

694spdRT

I saw it done to a late model Camaro on Two Guys Garage TV show earlier this year...that was a complete kit and it seemed fairly straight forward.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

PocketThunder

What turns the turbo?  the rear axle???
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

694spdRT

Here is the link to the show details.

http://www.twoguysgarage.com/episodes/index.php?epi=322

Pocket...the turbo goes in place of the muffler in the Camaro. I think it needs to run off of exhaust to be classified as a turbo.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

PocketThunder

Quote from: 694spdRT on September 21, 2005, 10:23:36 PM
Here is the link to the show details.

http://www.twoguysgarage.com/episodes/index.php?epi=322

Pocket...the turbo goes in place of the muffler in the Camaro. I think it needs to run off of exhaust to be classified as a turbo.

Oh yeah thats right.  If it was belt drive it'd be called a supercharger... ?
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

RD

the new dodge truck has a rear mounted turbo system available for it for the hemi. it was featured in MM a couple of months ago.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

The Mad Scientist

These aren't anything new.  I've got some old drag racing magazines from back in 67 that have an identical product featured in ads.

As well as the pull the pin fireworks that spin a turbine for a temporary (10 second I think) boost...  Ah the crap they used to think of before nitrous oxide became affordable.

sandmbmx88

Ls1 guys are jumping all over this mainly because of the shortage of space in the engine bay.  Turbos run off of exaust gas, your thinking of centrificul superchargers. The design seems very ineficeint because you never want to have to use that much boost piping but a boost reading is a boost reading.  The thing is, they arent looking for huge boost numbers with a v-8  you can REALLY feel even 5 lbs of boost.

wetfeetmi

894spdRT, thanks for the link.