News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Any residential A.C. guys on here? Questions about charging window unit.....

Started by beedees, July 31, 2007, 08:05:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beedees

24,000 b.t.u. unit in my shop,been going downhill for awhile. Tag says low side 150 psig, high side 400 psig. Sounds awful high to me but thats what the tag says.... never worked on one of these before. Any tips? Pretty sure its low on R22, been running for about 10 yrs. or so...btw 230 volts. :shruggy:

bandit67

I have messed with several units, but they were older, R12 units. If it has stopped cooling and you think the compressor is working ok, you don't have much to lose but your time.  150 sounds a bit high to me also , but who knows.   You prolly  do not have any taps , so you Will have to install one . I would just install a low side. I have used the piercing type valve , but they also leaked with time. The best is the type you weld in using seal-fox . Sooooo most likely you will lose whatever charge you have installing a tap, so pull a vacuum and shoot in new gas.  If she is still cooling as you get close to 150 low side , stop there. If the low side tubing stops sweating BEFORE you get that high, I would stop there.     You might get lucky and get some more goody out of unit............J

400/6/PAC

Window units are the most reliable units out there as far as not developing leaks.
The one thing that will take them down is dirty coils.
Remove the unit , take it out back and clean the heck out of it.
:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:
You can use a line tap to check the charge but they will leak.
you will have to weld in a service valve if you use a tap.

beedees

Soapy water says evap. leaking on about 1/4 the tubes. Thanks, guys. Time for a new one. :cheers: