News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Guitarists here...

Started by 69bronzeT5, July 29, 2007, 02:44:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1968 Charger B5

debatable......never said hendrix wasnt good, just said he was good for his time, he pushed the limits of music at the time and created some good pieces....i just don't think he is hands down the best.....and any guitarist preceding the present musicians could be an influence...there are also different styles and tastes in music and i find certain guitarists cant be compared......i heard someone say alexi laiho from cob, he is an amazing guitarist but to those who dont appreciate death/black metal   willl not find him good, because they ar enot enjoying the music.   Steve Vai to Alexi is uncomparable to different flavors......just like most people's opinions on here.....most guitarists have a unique style that is their own....hendrix may have had a strong emotion when he played......but he also only did so in that one style.......yes i would like to see yngwie possibly play with that exact emotion.....but i would also like to have seen hendrix even try to play some on the runs yngwie does...
1968 Dodge Charger R/T
1970 Dodge Charger
1974 Plymouth Roadrunner
1998 Jeep Cherokee SRT

1968 Charger B5

i also forgot to mention,   to those who enjoy more lighter music check out Strunz and Farah.....real good guitarists...
1968 Dodge Charger R/T
1970 Dodge Charger
1974 Plymouth Roadrunner
1998 Jeep Cherokee SRT

69Coronet

Whats wrong with you guys i havent seen Johnny Cash mentioned  ;D. And cant forget Luther Perkins
Its no disgrace being poor.  Its just inconvienient.

deputycrawford

All I practice is shredding anymore. I just have to remember all the old guys bring something to the game. I love em all. It took me 20 years to really get the shredding thing. Now I can't get enough. I have to force myself to pull out the Acoustic and play something soft once in awhile.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

Brock Samson

:shruggy: one word "Steve Cropper"  :nana:

dodgecharger-fan

There's no argument that shredding and sweeps and the like require some skills and lots of practice.

I can't do it with any blazing speed. Would I like to? Maybe. I'd never use it completely in a song, though. I think I'd like to have it my toolkit and see how I can use to do something rather than do it for it's own sake.

I think what we are discussing here is the guitarists that do only that - blazing fast sweeps - and then call it a guitar solo.

It's certainly skillful, but not very entertaining. I've heard it in the middle of song only to think that the producer accidentally flipped channels by mistake.

Practicing the craft of shredding is perfectly fine. It's what one does with the acquired skills in the name of creativty that I call in to question.

There are some very versatile players out there that have been called shredders at some point, but they've taken the skills earned and learned and elevated their playing.

I think that any of the G3 players have these "tricks" at the core of their skill set (as well as a strong, strong core of music theory), but have built on it and expanded the music around them to be come even more accomplished than they were.

mister bungle

Many very good guitarist in the list, i'm a metalhead though (avatar)  but sure dig this man too.
Born with the right heart in the wrong continent

Musicman

ZAPPA  :2thumbs:  who's your buddy  :cheers:

Anyone who knows anything about music respects this man for both his musical and intellectual abilities.

Musicman

Quote from: dodgecharger-fan on August 06, 2007, 02:29:41 PM
There's no argument that shredding and sweeps and the like require some skills and lots of practice.

I can't do it with any blazing speed. Would I like to? Maybe. I'd never use it completely in a song, though. I think I'd like to have it my toolkit and see how I can use to do something rather than do it for it's own sake.

I think what we are discussing here is the guitarists that do only that - blazing fast sweeps - and then call it a guitar solo.

It's certainly skillful, but not very entertaining. I've heard it in the middle of song only to think that the producer accidentally flipped channels by mistake.

Practicing the craft of shredding is perfectly fine. It's what one does with the acquired skills in the name of creativity that I call in to question.

There are some very versatile players out there that have been called shredders at some point, but they've taken the skills earned and learned and elevated their playing.

I think that any of the G3 players have these "tricks" at the core of their skill set (as well as a strong, strong core of music theory), but have built on it and expanded the music around them to be come even more accomplished than they were.

I believe that was well put... Shredding is a lot of fun, but for the most part it's just a bunch a scales leading to a note here and there. It's definitely a good practice exercise, but you have to take it somewhere musically if your ever going to stand out on your own. Lots of people shred, it just a question of having the basic skill and a lot of dedicated practice, but the skill is far from unique. Good shredders can be found just about anywhere... unfortunately that's not saying much. Real artists are a once in a lifetime phenomenon, you don't just find them standing there on every corner. People like Beethoven, Louis Armstrong, or Stevie Ray Vaughan, their one of a kind. People will always try to recreate their music, but they will never be the creator who pulled it from the soul and gave it to the world. I know it offends some folks to learn that speed means nothing in the world of music, but it is a fact of life nonetheless... but don't take my word for it, ask Beethoven.

70charger_boy

Quote from: 1968 Charger B5 on August 05, 2007, 10:45:14 AM
Obvisouly we have no shredder's here.   Joe Stump, Micheal Angelo Batio, Yngwie Malmsteen, George Lynch.   Those are some real players.      Hendrix was a bit over rated, just good for his time.  SRV  was def amazing. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG74eVb6V10

Check out Speed Kills by Micheal Angelo Batio 
Now that is some guitar playing.

He sucks!!! 

Ponch ®

Quote from: Musicman on August 06, 2007, 03:33:13 PM
Quote from: dodgecharger-fan on August 06, 2007, 02:29:41 PM

Practicing the craft of shredding is perfectly fine. It's what one does with the acquired skills in the name of creativity that I call in to question.

I believe that was well put... Shredding is a lot of fun, but for the most part it's just a bunch a scales leading to a note here and there. It's definitely a good practice exercise, but you have to take it somewhere musically if your ever going to stand out on your own. Lots of people shred, it just a question of having the basic skill and a lot of dedicated practice, but the skill is far from unique. Good shredders can be found just about anywhere... unfortunately that's not saying much. Real artists are a once in a lifetime phenomenon, you don't just find them standing there on every corner. People like Beethoven, Louis Armstrong, or Stevie Ray Vaughan, their one of a kind. People will always try to recreate their music, but they will never be the creator who pulled it from the soul and gave it to the world. I know it offends some folks to learn that speed means nothing in the world of music, but it is a fact of life nonetheless... but don't take my word for it, ask Beethoven.

:2thumbs:

Anyone can play a million notes per second and sound impressive, but the real geniuses are the guys that can do that with one or two notes.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

69bronzeT5

One awesome song is Little Wing by Jimi Hendrix :cheers:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

70charger_boy

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on August 08, 2007, 01:01:15 PM

and castles made of sand, are you experienced, voodoo chile (slight return), burning of the midnight lamp, 3rd stone from the sun, machine gun,killing floor,little miss strange, if 6 was 9, villanova junction, woodstock improv, purple haze, hey joe, manic depression, wind cries mary, all along the watchtower,.....oh hell....all of them

Ponch ®

that song is a great example. The outro solo is one of my all time favorites - and it has what...5 notes?
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

69bronzeT5

Quote from: Ponch ® on August 08, 2007, 01:53:00 PM

that song is a great example. The outro solo is one of my all time favorites - and it has what...5 notes?

yea and yet I cant figure out how to play it :icon_smile_blackeye:

Ponch ®

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on August 08, 2007, 01:59:46 PM
Quote from: Ponch ® on August 08, 2007, 01:53:00 PM

yea and yet I cant figure out how to play it :icon_smile_blackeye:

cuz you suck.

j/k.....it's deceptively simple, the trick is to get the bends just right.

69bronzeT5

yea, thats where Im having the problems

Musicman

Don't feel bad Bronzy... the boys at the G3 can't get it right either and their superstar talented... they make a valiant effort however... a fitting tribute to the man and his music. Stevie Ray always nailed it though... Big surprise there huh.

Ponch ®

Quote from: Musicman on August 08, 2007, 03:31:03 PM
Don't feel bad Bronzy... the boys at the G3 can't get it right either and their superstar talented... they make a valiant effort however... a fitting tribute to the man and his music. Stevie Ray always nailed it though... Big surprise there huh.

yeah, but SRV re-worked most of it rather than try to simply copy it.

Ghoste

As it should be of course.  As I kind of think you already know, Stevie could also imitate his own hero's nearly perfectly when he chose.  (got a LOT of SRV bootlegs)

dodgecharger-fan

Brock Samson

try the outro to Axis Bold as Love sometime...  :eek2:

i also enjoy and respect Steve Morse alot and someone else no one has yet mentioned at all,.. Gary Moore,.. his Blues alive album kicks ass, though i like his first one "Back on the Streets again" best.
..oh, and Adrien Belew...

Musicman

Steve Morse is a lot of fun... I love it when he gets in one of his Chicken Pick'n moods.

70charger_boy

Musicman