News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Young Guns

Started by 73ChargerSE, July 27, 2007, 07:06:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper r/t

I just turned 16 last month, and I just finished my '68 last month.
I usually just buy and sell to get money for the charger. Thank God I have a mom and dad that helped me get started with my first mopar  :yesnod:

73ChargerSE

Unfortunately, here is the state/resting place of my car. Engine should be done soon. The green thing is there so water wouldn't get in to the blower motor hole.

69bronzeT5

Heres my car getting put back into the resting place that its been in for the last 5 years...
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Mo Power

I just turned 18 in June and I've had my 73 SE since I think i was 15, because I found it in a guys yard and I guess my mom use to walk past it everyday going to school when she lived there go figure. But I've been collecting black interior and it took me almost 3 months to obtain everyting I needed from junkyards and off ebay. But I actually was able to get my senior pictures with me infront of my charger in primer with black flames. But After 2 yrs of owning I'm just now getting back into because of money problem like usual. But hey I've learned alot about mopars and how it seems we have the most patience with cars, because of getting parts for them and it shows how much we love our passion.
1973 Charger SE
1972 Roadrunner-1 of 34 power sunroofs                                
          Crazy colors, Wacky decals, and Massive engines
                      That's what Mopars alll about

Mean 318

I have to say I am amazed at how many   young people have mopars!

73ChargerSE

Well we are the ones to take over.  I'm glad that it's us to carry the torch.

Purple440

I think it's great the younger guys are still building muscle cars, and in this case Mopar.  I'm 33 now but I've had my Charger since I was 18 and drove it in college with the 318 in it, and started restoring it ground up when I was about 25 with my dad.  Money was a huge issue so I had to wait. 

Now days it seems most young guys are doing the imports, and that's ok because it's much cheaper and more available.  Cudos to all of you willing to build a car that may not be the fastest anymore (unless you build up the engine), costs more $$,  but looks and sounds way better than a honda with a plastic wing on it. 

:cheers:

69bronzeT5

Quote from: Purple440 on July 29, 2007, 02:41:24 AMbut looks and sounds way better than a honda with a plastic wing on it. 

I hate those stupid big mufflers they put on it too. It sounds like the car is farting :rofl:. Nothing beats the sound of a big block (or small block in some cases) and a REAL muffler!!! :cheers:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

TheAutoArchaeologist

I just spent 6 large on the bodywork/paint job on the Chally... not easy to do on my budget. 

Competely worth it in my opinion.  I know I could have finished the Charger for that much... but my heart sits in the Chally for now.

Ryan

73ChargerSE

Wow that thing looks great.  Original color?

TheAutoArchaeologist

Quote from: 73ChargerSE on July 29, 2007, 01:32:01 PM
Wow that thing looks great.  Original color?

No, gold originally... well what was left of the original car.  I decided to go another direction.

Next up... assembly!

Ryan

69_500

Well as I don't qualify to actually be in the Young Guns anymore, I'll tell you guys how I got the car that I currently own. I started saving money as soon as I got a full time job. Which was when I was 18 and I started small, saving $25 per week. I put this money in a savings account, each and every week before I did anything else with my pay check. By the time I was 20 I was putting $50 a week in there, and by 22 I was putting $100 a week in there. By gradually increasing it, it made it easier to eventually make it up to the $100 a week. My goal was to own a Charger 500 by the age of 25. When I started saving 500's were going for about $15-20K for a done car. By the time I was 25 those same cars were around the $30-50K range. Eventually I found something I could afford, and now I'm heading towards my second goal I had set when I was 16. To own a 500 by 25, and a Daytona by 35.

Danny

Supercharged Riot

69_500, I ran into the same problem as you did.  As I kept saving up money year after year the price range always slipped past my reach. SOund like you found something though. THats one step ahead of me !

Im not into Daytonas though. Only 68's My 2nd Charger of choice would be a 70 500

mikesbbody

I hate those stupid big mufflers they put on it too. It sounds like the car is farting :rofl:. Nothing beats the sound of a big block (or small block in some cases) and a REAL muffler!!! :cheers:
:smilielol: i couldnt agree more! the funny thing is that they THINK they sound cool  :smilielol:   

Harlow

Quote from: mikesbbody on July 30, 2007, 09:46:13 PM

:smilielol: i couldnt agree more! the funny thing is that they THINK they sound cool  :smilielol:   

Don't forget, you also have to red line EVERY shift. Even when your in the parking lot going 10 miles an hour.

68rustbucket

I'm 15 also IMO its just plane hard to get into the muscle car market totally when my dad was 15 he bought a firebird that just needed a tiny bit off body work and paint for 300 dollars after he restored it beautifully he sold it for 2500dollars (he still wishes he would have kept that instead of the 79 :brickwall: ) heck now it costs you 2500 dollars for a rusty project car. But hopefully soon here i will be the owner to a rusted out 68 charger.
:icon_smile_big: hey and lets not all forget a very important fact stickers and big wings add horse power  :smilielol: :lol:

Purple440

Quote from: 68rustbucket on August 01, 2007, 11:29:42 PM
hey and lets not all forget a very important fact stickers and big wings add horse power  :smilielol: :lol:

I agree...each sticker adds 15 hp at the rear wheels according to the last dyno sheet I saw.  And the wing keeps that HP on the ground.

68rustbucket

heres a educational video for the people who dont get this concept :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwDy3lTxX8Y&mode=related&search=

Mike DC

I was a teenager in the early 1990s.
At the time my father thought these cars were just pieces of crap and I was loony for messing with one. 

I insisted that they were gonna be worth a lot more in the future.  I actually once proposed to him that if he'd loan me money or somehow help me to get a clean original R/T or even a Hemi car or something, then we could probably make an absolute killing on it in the future.  He just laughed at me.

He's not laughing now.

bordin34

The thing I hate most about owning a charger is when all my friends ask why I don't make it a general lee. And the only way people know the kind of car I have is by saying its like the DOH car.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

Charger1973

Quote from: bordin34 on August 02, 2007, 08:45:21 AM
The thing I hate most about owning a charger is when all my friends ask why I don't make it a general lee. And the only way people know the kind of car I have is by saying its like the DOH car.

Theres a reason I didnt even consider to paint my car orange...   ;)

dukeboy_318

Quote from: Charger1973 on August 02, 2007, 08:48:19 AM
Quote from: bordin34 on August 02, 2007, 08:45:21 AM

Theres a reason I didnt even consider to paint my car orange... ;)

Agreed, the General was a good looking car, but jeeez people not every charger is a DOH General Lee.  I have a friend of mine who has a Vitamin C Roadrunner witha 440, numbers matching car and everytime he drives it, someone at a stop sign will yell out something bout hitting the "Dixie horn" or something like that, gets annoying.
1978 Dodge Power Wagon W200 4x4- 408 stroker/4spd
1974 Dodge Dart Swinger. 440 project in the works.

terrible one

I agree with, and can relate to you guys on that one. Whenever anyone stops by about my car when I'm out working on it, or when someone who has heard about it from a friend, etc. asks about it they either don't know what it is, or if they do they say it's a General Lee. I don't even feel like going through the trouble to explain to them that it's a '68 and the General was a '69 and the differences are blah blah, etc. It's just slightly annoying I suppose.