News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need Advice On Body Damage And What To Charge

Started by 74-StreetMachine, July 27, 2007, 09:55:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

74-StreetMachine

I worked on this kids 1968 Buick Skylark a couple of years ago. Took out the 350, finished assembling a 455, rebuilt the transmission, and bolted on the chrome do dads. He stops by the other day and says he lost control doing a burnout and smashed into the left rear corner of a car with the front of his car. The bumper, hood, and radiator saddle are beyond repair. He also sent the radiator into the fan. Shredded the radiator and broke the clutch fan.

But what I need to know is if the frame of the car is bent ?  Can anyone tell from the following pictures ?

Both fenders , where they align with the doors, are bowed out and pushed up about 1/4". The right side a little more than the left.

Also I could use some advice on what to charge.
He brought a parts car over so I have all the parts I need.

Here's a partial  list of things to do. I'm sure there will be more.
1 - Align fenders.
2 - Remove,paint and install radiator saddle.
3 - Remove and install front bumper and grille.
4 - Sand off old primer, bird poopies, and surface rust from parts car hood, and spray with primer.
5 - Install new radiator and electric fan.
6 - Paint fenders and hood.

Thanks for your help, Randy

Watch me turn beer into pee for $5.

19Charger68

If you can find an old Mitchel or Motor's Collision Repair Manual, that will provide you with the labor times for the items that are being replaced as well as paint times.  As far as repairing body panels, you can figure that a handful of damage is worth about 1 hour of repair time.
Bruce

bordin34

On top of what to charger I would add a stupidity charge.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

aifilaw

I dunno about the prices....your on your own...

as far as whether the frame is bent, I'd suggest using a scoper and a measuring tape, some T-squares.. and if worse comes to work, tow it down a straight road and check from the front and rear to see if the frame is best from side to side at all.
'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads

74-StreetMachine

I had two friends stop over at different times and they both said $1500 plus materials.  So, we'll see what the kid has to say.

Thanks for your help.
Randy
Watch me turn beer into pee for $5.

Mean 318

Silver R/T

are you estimating how much you should charge him if it was repaired by body shop? Labor cost alone should be around $1000-1500 that's not including frame time if it needs any.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722