News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Lifter failure

Started by my73charger, July 23, 2007, 08:20:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

my73charger

Ok, I was on my home the other day and a lifter started rapping rather loudly.  I was only a mile from home so I drove it on home.  It was running rough though so I putted.   When I got home I drained the oil and popped the valve cover and on one lifter I was able to rock the rocker arm with just one finger so I knew I had a failed lifter.  I was able to pull the lifter out using a magnet and found the lifter was worn on the bottom so that it was bowled out and actually had a hole in it.  I haven't pulled the intake yet but am fearful that I now have a bad lobe on my cam shaft.  What do you think?

firefighter3931

That's not good news.  :icon_smile_blackeye: Your engine is now filled with small metal particles and the bearings/crank are more than likely scored up. The engine needs to come apart for inspection and possible rebuild.  :P Some have tried to replace just the cam/lifters only to lose the next one....this just happened recently to an aquaintance. The engine is now out for a total rebuild after losing 2 cams.  :-\

What oil were you using ? GM engine oil supplement is a necessity for any flat tappet engine these days. Today's oil formulations are brutal !  :flame:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

my73charger

Man that is worse than I could have imagined.  So I would be foolish to just try and replace the lifter and limp through the rest of the year.  Mobil 1 10/30 drive clean is what I have been using.  What a complete bummer.  This week is our local car show and swap meet to.  :brickwall:  What causes this kind of failure?

Bob

Question: "What causes this kind of failure?" :shruggy:

Answer: A car show you really want to go to. :'(

Happened to me also.

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: my73charger on July 23, 2007, 08:56:33 AM
Man that is worse than I could have imagined.  So I would be foolish to just try and replace the lifter and limp through the rest of the year.  Mobil 1 10/30 drive clean is what I have been using.  What a complete bummer.  This week is our local car show and swap meet to.  :brickwall:  What causes this kind of failure?

That's the wrong oil to be using on a hydraulic cam anymore.   There's been many threads about what oil should I use on these boards over the years.   The general consensus was to be using 15w40 diesel oil or a supplement such as the EOS.   Sorry but your motor is hosed now.   Blame the EPA.   The sulfer compounds in old oils helped the flat tappets.   New motors are mostly roller cams and don't require them. l
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

my73charger

So what brand Engine Oil Supplement do you guys use or recommend?

NorwayCharger

Quote from: my73charger on July 23, 2007, 11:22:12 AM

GM EOS..
AKA the drummer boy
http://www.pink-division.com

is_it_EVER_done?

Quote from: NorwayCharger on July 23, 2007, 12:35:12 PM
Quote from: my73charger on July 23, 2007, 11:22:12 AM

GM EOS..

I've been assuming that someone would have posted this some time ago, but since it hasn't happened, I guess i will be the bearer of bad news.

GM EOS is no longer being produced. Once existing stocks are gone, it's history. !!!!!!!!!

The oil you used is definitely not the problem, it's just that without a break in supplement, it (or any oil) is not adequate for break in. Unfortunately you now have microscopic metal particles circulating through your engine, so the proper course of action is to remove - disassemble - clean - reassemble the motor. The Chrysler engine oil supplement is still available, and from what I have read it is basically the same as the GM EOS, so I would add it before starting your newly done engine.

histoy

A number of people advocate using Rotella T (diesel oil) when breaking in new engines.   Apparently this oil still has the zinc and other anti-wear additives that the EPA has removed from the current oils used for automobiles.

firefighter3931

Quote from: is_it_EVER_done? on July 23, 2007, 06:30:06 PM
I've been assuming that someone would have posted this some time ago, but since it hasn't happened, I guess i will be the bearer of bad news.

GM EOS is no longer being produced. Once existing stocks are gone, it's history. !!!!!!!!!

The oil you used is definitely not the problem

Gm EOS is still being made but it will be called engine assembly lube and still available through the dealership. If they're out of stock on EOS just ask for the other product.....it's the same thing.  ;)

The OIL is the problem. The latest Virgin oil analysis data i've seen shows even synthetic Mobil 1 10/30 as being woefully inadequate for EP additives. The old 15/50 Mobil 1 used to be descent but it too has succumbed to the EPA regulations.....ZN & Phos levels are hovering in the 1000 (or less) ppm range. Royal Purple racing and Redline racing are descent synthetic lubes but they're labelled as "off road" use only. All the new "passenger car" formulations flat out suck.....synthetics included.  :P

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

my73charger

A friend of mine uses Havoline 15/50 racing formula, what do you think of this stuff?  I tore the engine down to the short block tonight.  One cam lobe is worn as well as the one lifter. Frustrating for sure.  Only a couple thousand miles on a complete $5000 overhaul.

Steve P.

Your news sucks for sure bro. We have been watching the different brands of oil go to hell over recent years. (EOS), ( Engine Oil Supplement), will be, (if not already), a thing of the past. This is an EPA tie. Break in lube from car dealers are supposed to be the same as EOS from what I'm told. When EOS is no longer available we will all have to look long and hard at the chem. compound of the new Break in lubes, but the way I'm hearing it they will sell EOS under another name and with a label saying (FOR BREAK IN PURPOSES ONLY).

I only have 2 gallons of the old Rotella T (FOR DIESELS) left.  :eek2:

Sorry for your loss bro.  Pull it down and go through it again.   I have one on the stand as we speak. I have yet to take out a cam in break in or soon after, but I know nothing is perfect in this world and I alllllllways figure (this is going to be the one)..
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

my73charger

I want to thank everyone for their input on this rotten turn of luck.  I am researching my best oil alternative for the future for sure.  So can I use the Rotella 15w40 diesel oil or is that formula already been ruined to?  Man the EPA sucks!

Steve P.

I used to be able to get Rotella "T" (DIESEL) at Walmart and also at Central Tractor Supply. Last time I wanted to buy it they had ZERO at Wally world and Tractor Supply had 2 gallons left. I bought them and the manager told me the new stuff DID NOT SAY (DIESEL) on it.  This truly blows!!!!!!   :eek2:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

firefighter3931

Quote from: my73charger on July 24, 2007, 07:11:26 AM
I want to thank everyone for their input on this rotten turn of luck.  I am researching my best oil alternative for the future for sure.  So can I use the Rotella 15w40 diesel oil or is that formula already been ruined to?  Man the EPA sucks!

My73 ;

Rotella is still descent allthough it's not what it used to be....thanks to the EPA  A-holes !  :flame:

Latest Virgin oil analysis on Rotella 15/40 (April 2007) shows zinc@ 1130ppm & phosphorus@ 996ppm. The same lab tested the same oil (Nov 2005) and the numbers were Zn@1555ppm & phos@1278ppm. The oil rating has changed from a CI-4 to a CJ-4. The older CI-4 formulation as you can see is much better. If you find some of the (CI-4) grab all of it !  :2thumbs: If you're using the CJ-4 (new stuff) then you must use EOS or something similar.

GM EOS (Jan 2007) came in at zn@6221ppm & phos@5762ppm so a bottle of this stuff (16oz) with every oil change will boost up the EP package significantly. You need to run BOTH !  :yesnod:

In regards to the Havoline 20/50 ; latest results for March 2007 show zn@425ppm & phos@494ppm. If your buddy is running this oil he needs to add some EOS asap or he risks losing his cam (and engine) suffering the same fate that you are. Let him know.

Ron

my73charger

Thanks Ron, very much appreciated!  :2thumbs:

firefighter3931

You're welcome  ;)

Here's a virgin oil analysis for the Mobil 1 10/30 that you were running in your engine prior to the failure. This test is dated 2005 and the zn/phos was low then....it's probably non existant at this point. In 2005 the numbers were ; 858ppm & 750ppm. Not enough of either for my liking.  :P

Ron

is_it_EVER_done?

Gm EOS is still being made but it will be called engine assembly lube and still available through the dealership. If they're out of stock on EOS just ask for the other product.....it's the same thing.  ;)

I have a friend who owns a Chevy dealership (amongst others) and I asked him to check on this. He told me that according to his service manager and regional rep, that the assembly lube is not the same as EOS, in fact he said that the new instructions with the crate engines is to use Delco EOS as it is supposed to be the same thing.

If you have other information, please let us know as things are getting bleak for those of us that run old designed engines.

QuoteThe OIL is the problem. The latest Virgin oil analysis data i've seen shows even synthetic Mobil 1 10/30 as being woefully inadequate for EP additives. The old 15/50 Mobil 1 used to be descent but it too has succumbed to the EPA regulations.....ZN & Phos levels are hovering in the 1000 (or less) ppm range. Royal Purple racing and Redline racing are descent synthetic lubes but they're labelled as "off road" use only. All the new "passenger car" formulations flat out suck.....synthetics included.  :P

How exactly can the oil be the problem? It's fairly well known that ANY brand, ANY weight of passenger car oil can no longer contain the additives necessary to eliminate cam wear due to EPA mandates, so any legaly available oil for passenger cars may allow for failed lifters/lobes. An additive that has the wear protection must be used for the first few thousand miles (after that, there are few incidences of failure).

Mobil 1 has proven to be a great oil so to say it's the problem only helps to perpetrate the myths that are accepted truths due to internet misinformation , and may mislead others into thinking that if they run Casterol/Pennzoil/Wal-Mart brand, or some other available oil, that they will be OK.

The reality is that even decades ago when oil was infinitely better from a cam wear standpoint, you needed to add a break in supplement. However after break in, hundreds of millions of cars led happy lives with straight oil, even after oil was EPA'd. Look at any junk yard. Hundreds of worn out cars, but I defy you to find one that is in there due to cam failure even when run on EPA oil during the latter part of it's life.

This, or any enthusiast board, is geared toward performance. The problem with this is that a stock engine had "ports" in the rod parting line that squirted oil on the cam/lifters to supply a plentiful amount of oil. Not only that, but even performance spring pressures were not what is common nowdays.

Fast forward to a typical build now. Aftermarket rods that have no oil squirter's (even most bearings available for stock rods don't have provisions for the squirter's), windage trays that keep down the "splash" oiling, fast ramp cams that greatly increase pressure on the lobe/lifters, in some cases reduced oiling to the heads/rockers which reduces the flow of oil over the cam/lifters as the oil makes it's way back down towards the pan, sometimes bushed lifter bores or blocked lifter oil galleys, etc.  ---- Were it not for the dramatically superior film/shear properties of modern oils (synthetics in particular), we would have been relegated to the junk yards many years ago as we have eliminated over 90% of the cam/lifter oiling in modern times.

Is the answer a roller cam? No way! modern engines that are designed for rollers have enclosed cam tunels that assure a constant submersion in oil, plus they have dedicated oil squirter's that direct oil in the bottom of the cylinders to help cool the pistons and assure plenty of oil to the pins. I've only used two roller cams in my life and both failed due to lifter roller destruction. Our old engines are just not designed for them if you actually drive the car. Some people swear by them, but they drive 500 to a little over a 1,000 miles per year, which equals a trailer queen as far as wear goes.

Some of the cam companies are working on "non roller", roller lifters. Meaning that they have babbitt bearings and pressure fed oil galleys. This may be the answer, but only time will tell. In the meantime, only an accurate/open sharing of information will let us all know what easily available additive is workable with off the shelf oils. The EPA is eliminating the additives that we need with these old cars (even out of diesel oils), but there are still solutions. The problem is that we will have to sort through the bull in order to find the solutions that are needed, and long term.

For those that think using whichever current oil that has a bit higher Zinc, Molly, Copper, etc., quantity, --- perhaps this will keep it in perspective for you --- Imagine an Olympic sized swimming pool. Now take a 5 gallon bucket and remove a bucket full from the pool. The difference is approximately 125 PPM! So to think that a current oil that is slightly less "diluted" than another by a few hundred PPM will protect your engine is silly. To say that ANY currently available oil is the cause for a failure, knowing that they all are EPA'd, is equally irresponsible.

We need to work together to find a solution. posts of failures and successes and what was used, are of growing importance. Posts of "this or that" oil is junk only cloud the issue, as well as what does or doesn't work (or is or isn't the same), without empirical data to back them up.

This topic is too important to not address with responsibility, as it profoundly affects the continued operation of our cars.

firefighter3931

Is it ever done ; the oil is the problem due tothe reduced EP package that has been mandated by the EPA.....i don't know how much simpler i can explain it. Look at the examples listed above....Rotella used to be loaded with Zinc and Phospohorus....now it isn't. That boils down to an oil problem plain and simple....what used to be good enough.....no longer is  :P

The assembly lube (GM) has the same Zn/phosphorus concentrations as the EOS. The EPA has probably put the kybosh on the oil supplement because of the way it is labelled. Having an over the counter additive is probably seen as a way of circumventing the reduced EP additives that have been mandated. Calling it a cam/lifter assembly lube is a different matter so it's a matter of semantics. As for EOS ; i purchased 12 bottles of it a month ago at my local dealership....it's still available up here.

Studies have shown that cam wear is directly proportional to the zinc/phos levels in the engine lube. As the ZN levels are reduced the wear is accelerated. Increased spring pressures also require more EP additives for a long and happy service life. So if you're running a hot cam with increased spring loads...you better have some descent lube in there or it's destined to fail.  :Twocents:

As for synthetics ; the "off road" stuff is still descent.....redline & royal purple have it all but it's expensive. Some people are using motorcycle oil which is designed for severe duty on air cooled engines. The Mobil 1 10/40 (MX4T) bike oil has zn 1600ppm/phos 1400ppm as recently as April of this year. Mobil also makes a 15/50 EP grade that has slightly less than the MX stuff; zn 1279ppm/ phos 1062ppm as of april 2007 which is the lastest test i have available. Both of these would be OK for most street applications with a flat tappet cam, inmo. Not sure on the price and availablity on these oils....i've never seen either on the shelf.

For those that want to run a conventional dino oil the rotella/eos brew is more than enough to get the job done and not break the bank at every oil change. I wouldn't consider running anything else except maybe an off road racing oil (Valvoline vr-1) and i would still add some EOS to that lube for added protection.   ;)

Ron

Animal

Would Castrol Magnetec 20w 50 be the next oil to use?

firefighter3931

Quote from: Animal on July 24, 2007, 07:12:37 PM
Would Castrol Magnetec 20w 50 be the next oil to use?

Adam, is that a racing oil ? If it's just a regular passenger car oil then it's probably not good enough. See if you can get a msds for it and check out the zinc/phosphorus levels.  ;)

Ron

PA Dodger

Firefighter, I was talking to an engine builder not long ago that said many of the cam manufacturers have recently switched to supplying lifters  from"overseas" which are made from substandard materials. He said he has been seeing more wiped cams recently.  Have you seen this recently? I'm not disputing the oil claims, just curious if crappy lifters are now a way of life too.
Dan
'69 Charger / '69 Dart convertible/ '74 Cuda

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: PA Dodger on July 24, 2007, 08:13:05 PM
Firefighter, I was talking to an engine builder not long ago that said many of the cam manufacturers have recently switched to supplying lifters  from"overseas" which are made from substandard materials. He said he has been seeing more wiped cams recently.  Have you seen this recently? I'm not disputing the oil claims, just curious if crappy lifters are now a way of life too.
Dan

i heard the oppisite in that they had been supplied by an overseas vender and were not that great, but that johnson lifters is making the lifters for most cam cos again and that they are way better.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Ghoste

A combination of the two would certainly contribute.

Charger-Bodie

just to clearify one thing , im not saying its the lifters fault not the oil.......im am a firm believer that todays oil is useless to us unless its doctered up with additives to bring it up to snuff.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............