News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Whats the best/cheapest way to ship a Charger hood?

Started by 1971SE440, July 20, 2007, 09:16:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1971SE440

I have a 1971 Ramcharger hood I need shipped from Houston TX to Omaha NE for restoration. Who should I use to get it there? I can deliver the hood to a local terminal but would like it to be dropped off at the business. I'm going to build a wood crate for shipment. Thanks.

Charger74

Quote from: terrible one on July 20, 2007, 09:22:31 AM
Would Greyhound do that? If so, they would be your best (and cheapest) bet.

Probably not, they would have to pick it up more than likely.  If you want it shipped to the business  you will have to use a freight company.

Old Moparz

Forward Air is inexpensive compared to most, but they only go from their own terminal, to their own terminal, no door to door deliveries. If you need door to door, DHL will do it, but it'll be more expensive. I priced sending a '69 Charger hood just about 1 year ago in a crate, & it was about $165. UPS won't take it, too big. Greyhound might take it the cheapest yet, but again, you have to go to the terminal to drop off & pick up. Fed/Ex has a freight division, but the last I checked they were twice the cost over DHL. Yellow Freight was even higher than Fed/Ex.  ::)
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Charger1973

I think Greyhound has a 100lb limit.  So if it was crated theres no way it'd pass. 

Old Moparz

Good point, I weighed the crate & if I recall, it was over 125 pounds with the hood inside.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

bandit67

I just got a four speed , bellhousings, flywheels and alot of other small parts shipped to me from Ark. to Ga, the guy used  Old Dominion Freight Lines. He used a crate he found and they loaded it right on my pickup truck. I think they only ship terminal to terminal also, but I was pleased... I had to go pick it up , but I think their shipping prices were very reasonable.......J

69charger2002

greyhound's limit is 150#, and they will take it. don't crate it , just wrap all 4 corners really well and drop it off. should only cost $75-80 bucks. i have probably shipped 6 of them through them, never a problem
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

twilt

http://www.shipgreyhound.com/faq/#packages_1

Its been my experience that Greyhounds limit is 100 lbs and that is what is stated on their website. I Had to have a 71 R/T insert shipped to me separate from the hood because the insert put the hood and minimal packaging over 100 lbs. Personally, I would want a Ramcharger hood crated. 

69charger2002

wow my greyhound must just be nice to me. i've even shipped a tranny through them before.. they told me 150#.. of course it's been probably 2 years since i shipped anything over 100  lbs. shipped 2 fenders in one box the other day. that came in at 91 pounds..
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/