News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Is it legal to sell R12?

Started by 1972Rallye, July 20, 2007, 07:25:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1972Rallye

If so, do I need to do anything special to sell it? 

Slowpoke

I don't know about a private sale but you need to be licensed to sell it commercially.
But it is legal to sell in the US just not to manufacture anymore.
68 R/T LL1
under restoration for the last 25 years

John_Kunkel

Unless the rules have changed, the sale of R-12 Freon in the United States is not prohibited.

EPA regulations, however, make it unlawful to sell R-12 refrigerant to anyone who is not a certified buyer. A certified buyer is one who holds an EPA Section 609 license.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

resq302

John Kunkel is partially right.  According to EPA 609 regulations, you have to have a certification number in order to purchase R-12 or be purchasing it with the intent to resell to a certfied person such as purchasing R-12 for a restoration shop that is fully licensed to work on R-12 systems.  I am currently taking my 609 certification class right now to try and be able to work on R-12 automotive freon systems.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

last426

Quote from: resq302 on July 24, 2007, 01:26:49 PM
John Kunkel is partially right.  According to EPA 609 regulations, you have to have a certification number in order to purchase R-12 or be purchasing it with the intent to resell to a certfied person such as purchasing R-12 for a restoration shop that is fully licensed to work on R-12 systems.  I am currently taking my 609 certification class right now to try and be able to work on R-12 automotive freon systems.

If you are taking the course to learn something then that is good.  When I got my license I did it online in about 20 minutes.  Something like epalaw.com or epafreon.com, or something like that. Check out my hemi at www.marlia.com no freon in that bugger.  Kim

The70RT

Anyone can sell it on eBay. The buyer usually faxes a copy of the certificate to the seller................but no one else has a record of it.. I guess if you was a steady seller you might be asked ask to show them to the EPA or whomever.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

gtx6970

last time I bought freon . Selling it is no issue - Buying the small  cans is though.

Buyer has to be licensed to buy the small cans only , but yet anyone could  walk into a parts house and buy the 20 lb cylinders