News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Winter storage...

Started by Charger1973, July 11, 2007, 01:24:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger1973

What do you guys with no garages do during the winter?  Rent a storage building?  I really dont want to leave my car sit out again.   :icon_smile_blackeye:  I am looking for a fairly cheap solution. 

Ghoste

I store mine at home in the garage but I gotta tell you, it just seems so wrong to talk about winter storage on a perfect July afternoon.  :slap:

69bronzeT5

I was thinking the same thing!! :hah:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Charger1973

Planning ahead...   :icon_smile_big:

I saw a sign the other day on my way home for someone who was renting out space in a shed for cars, boats, campers, etc.. so it just got me wondering what you guys do with yours.   Im not sure if I trust my car with someone else. 

Ghoste

I know a lot of guys who do that.  Their only complaint seems to be lack of access if they want to do something to the car in the winter but that likely varies from place to place.

Charger1973

Yeah, well you can see from the picture I couldnt do much with mine last year either.   :P

BMOTOXSTAR

I use a garage for my Charger & a hill billy pop up garage from Harbor Freight for my Satellite. :yesnod:
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

BrianShaughnessy

Charger doesn't go anywhere but my garage.   

I do have access to some affordable ($50 / month) space at the shop where I sometimes put the Formula for the winter if I get around to it. 

Around here those stupid storage places get $175 / month for a 10x20.  No freakin way!
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

472 R/T SE

daytonalo and charger fan put (portable) garages on their property.  A reasonable $$ alternative.

The best I could do was $75 a month and that was back where my car was for the last 10 or so years.  Last time I put the car in storage cause we needed garage space for new floors, it cost $150 a month at one of the storage outfits and that was pretty much the going rate.  At that price paying off a portable would take less than a year most likely.  :shruggy:

AKcharger

I'm paying $65 a month for a place in PA. My '70 & '72 spent the last year and a half there and both were just like I left 'em. I  can't say enough good stuff about the place, they can pick up too. Below is a shot of the '70 going back into hibernation after the Carlisle show..."see ya' next year Mr. Charger"

http://www.victorygarage.com/storage.html

RECHRGD

Well, I do it kind of backwards.  I live off of a country road from hell.  There's no way that I will drive the Charger on it.  So I trailer the car out to a 10X20 storage place in the spring and back home in the late fall to put in my shop.  It works out pretty good, as I just swap out vehicles at the storage area when I want some Charger time in the good weather and have it at home in the shop to work on in the winter.  I pay $87.00 a month for the 10X20 with an extra month thrown in for free if I pay for 6 months up front.  Not a bad deal.   Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

Charger1973

Quote from: AKcharger on July 11, 2007, 02:24:53 PM
I'm paying $65 a month for a place in PA. My '70 & '72 spent the last year and a half there and both were just like I left 'em. I  can't say enough good stuff about the place, they can pick up too. Below is a shot of the '70 going back into hibernation after the Carlisle show..."see ya' next year Mr. Charger"

http://www.victorygarage.com/storage.html

If I could find a place like that I would feel safe leaving the car.  A shed full of boats and campers, not so much...

THE COLONEL

If you live anywhere near Southern Armstrong County in Pennsylvania, I usually store The Colonel in the Brady's Bend Limestone caves. http://www.bradysbend.com/  They have climate controll rooms, that keep a constant temp all year round.  It is only $40 a month for cars, and you can't get in, unless they take you in.  It is very secure, and you can go up anytime you want and they will take you in.  Now this year, I won't be going with the engine upgrade, but it is a nice place. :yesnod:
"THE COLONEL....DIFFERENT RANK...SAME ATTITUDE"

chargerjy9

I pay 500.00 to keep my 73 in a heated block building on carpeting from Oct To May. Cheap price for a car that has NEVER been out in the winter. My car deserves nothing less
1973 Dodge Charger SE 400 4 bbl,727, survivor
1977 AMC Pacer original
2011 Dodge charger R/T Max

41husk

I have a garage spot with my aunt and it cost me mowing her lawn once a week.  I have a friend who keeps his vet in a elderly neighbors garage for the same price.  Find an elderly person on a fixed income, you will be doing them a favor and many have not had a car in the garage for many years.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

BMOTOXSTAR

73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

Aero426

While I was building a garage, I stored two cars for several months at a senior apartment complex in their underground garage.   I was surprised how many collector cars were in there.  I had one on each side of me.  $42 a month.  You have to call and ask.  They don't advertise.

Charger1973

Those are some good ideas.  I used to have a garage at my old apartment but they were so small a Charger barely fits and you cant even open the door.  The underground thing would be cool.   

Hey Colonel thanks for the tip, but unfortunately im nowhere near PA im in the middle of a cornfield in Iowa.   :P  If I lived out that way I would tell Jackie to scoot over so I could park next to her Chally.   ;)

hemi-hampton

I checked a storage place last Winter here in Detroit area & they wanted almost $300 a month :flame: Luckily I have a 2 1/2 car Garage. LEON.

DodgeChargerNeeded

My brother has 32,000 square feet of buildings on his property so I found me a nice dry spot and it sits there all year unless I'm driving it. Block building with no electricity so I don't have much to worry about. Keep a cover on it because the building is somewhat dusty but plenty dry.
Jeff

Mean 318

I keep mine in a quonset for the wither and it costs me $90 for the winter -been doing it for 3 years! cement floors. very clean, good old guy!

terrible one

Doesn't Rene have a huge bubble that you can roll your car into and seal it up? Maybe look into that?

I got a place about a half mile from my house that I rent.

Charger1973

The thing is I might be moving before winter and I wont be in the country.  I'll probably be stuck in an apartment or something...  Im just trying to get ideas ahead of time. 

Steve P.

Simply move to Florida...  ;) That's what I did...

Back home, (just a few miles off of Lake Ontario), I filled the gas tank. Parked it in the back yard and pulled the negative battery cable. A coat of wax didn't hurt and test the anti-freeze to be sure of no problems. That's it.
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Forza

Or you can park it in my garage if you like  :D