News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Finally, one down 2 to go! My 68 Super Bee...

Started by DPL, July 10, 2007, 02:51:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DPL

Thanks to this board and all the contributing members for whom I would never have made it through restoration #1 of 3 - my 1968 Super Bee.  Every bit of this resto was done by me and a couple of buddies who like free beer.  Its a 383 pumping 450 horsies with 500 lbs of torque, yet is a stock looking Bee.  Other then that and some semi-custom Magnums, this is pretty much a no-mod car.  Got to drive it to the mopar show on the weekend, even though there's a few odds and ends to do, it was awesome. 

Thanks again everyone, on to #2 - my 69 RT
1968 Charger RT
1969 Charger RT
1968 Super Bee
1970 Super Bee V Code

Charger1973

That thing is sweet.  I love the 68 coronet/bee body style.  Nice color too.   :2thumbs:

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Charger_Fan

Wow, you & your beer drinkin' buddies did an awesome job!! :cheers: :icon_smile_big:

So, the Charger in the right of the last pic is up next? Looks pretty good from here already. :scope:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Brock Samson

yes congrats! what was the wheel mod, widened?.. great lookin trio... :yesnod:

DPL

"Purple" as we refer to the 69 RT is a complete, driving, 10 foot car (so is big bird, the yellow 68 RT).  I drive them all the time, but each are older restorations that weren't done super perfect...I don't care but I love the challenge of what I would call a light restoration, something I can handle in my own shop and not have to send out everything.
1968 Charger RT
1969 Charger RT
1968 Super Bee
1970 Super Bee V Code

T16

Nice car  ;)

A guy nearby owns a similair 68 Super Bee #s matching Hemi.. same colour as yours. I think it came with benchseat and column shift from factory  :lol: kinda strange combo for a hemi car

Ghoste

Quote from: T16 on July 10, 2007, 03:15:24 PM
A guy nearby owns a similair 68 Super Bee #s matching Hemi.. same colour as yours. I think it came with benchseat and column shift from factory  :lol: kinda strange combo for a hemi car

Not in a 68 Super Bee it isn't.  ;)

Nice work DPL.  :2thumbs:

DPL

The thing about the super bee is this: it wasn't until last minute that Dodge decided they needed to hop up the Coronet and commissioned an outside firm to give them design ideas.  Now, I am told, what happened is Dodge was ready to scrap the idea for the 68 model year and the outsourcer caught wind of this.  So, they delivered the Super Bee early, before the executives could hold it off for that year until 69. 

So, the Super Bee for 1968 is quite rare, something like 7 or 8 thousand built - can't recall exactly.  The car came standard with a 4 speed and a bench.  The 383 was the only engine unless you ordered the 426 Hemi.  An automatic tranny was an option!  I don't think they ever produced a 1968 Super Bee with a console or buckets.

Its funny because in 69 there were so many options for the Bee.  1968 was simply a Coronet with some fancy trim really. 
1968 Charger RT
1969 Charger RT
1968 Super Bee
1970 Super Bee V Code

bsakal

Nice Bee! My first "muscle car" was a '68 Bee, I bought in the fall of '85, It got t-boned in '86. :'( It was burgundy with a black vinyl top.
69 Charger SE - 66 Chrysler Newport 383

69charger2002

i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

Brock Samson

what i remember reading many years ago was the SB was in response to the RR which was selling like hotcakesfrom right out of the gate, i still have the Hot rod Magazine that early in '68, (jan or feb i think), showed a picture as a late intro for that model yr...

The70RT

<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

41husk

1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

OldGuy

DPL
Your 1968 Charger - is that stock SS1 yellow or a different yellow?  I like the color.
"I can tell by your sarcastic undertones, rude comments and total lack of common decency, that you and I could be best friends".

DPL

The 68 is not a stock color.  It was this color when I bought it and I need to determine the code because in my opinion, this is the best yellow for this car. 

Not sure how to go about determining the exact code without taking a chunk off the car!

Darren
1968 Charger RT
1969 Charger RT
1968 Super Bee
1970 Super Bee V Code

68isgr8

OldGuy

Quote from: DPL on July 11, 2007, 11:08:59 AM
The 68 is not a stock color.  It was this color when I bought it and I need to determine the code because in my opinion, this is the best yellow for this car. 

Not sure how to go about determining the exact code without taking a chunk off the car!

Darren

I agree with you on the yellow color on your Charger.  If you are able to determine the color, could you let me know.  I have an SS1 yellow Charger that needs to be repainted and I would like to keep it yellow - but SS1 looks like kind of a faded yellow IMO - would like to brighten it up a little :yesnod:
"I can tell by your sarcastic undertones, rude comments and total lack of common decency, that you and I could be best friends".

Back N Black

Nice Bee!  my beer buddies just sit around,fart and drink my beer. :shruggy:

Hemidog

Charger1973

Those have to be some of the coolest taillights ever made too.  I always thought the taillights of a 68 should have been used on the 70 to match the front bumper/grilles. 

hemi68charger

:cheers:  Good job.. Whatcha going to do with the '69?

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

DPL

"Purple", the 69 RT, is going to get a complete make-over, strip it down and do the body, paint and brightwork.  Interior is new and the motor is excellent, just the body is tired.  Needs to be razor-straightened and brought back to life.

OK - I'll throw this out there:

Its got a white interior and white roof.  I am thinking of painting it a custom mocha cream color.  I was originally thinking triple white but that might be a little too much. 

Add to that some magnums and fat tires and you got yourself one classy ride.

Your thoughts?

(PS>  My brother is trying to convince me this color combo will be perfect...for my wife!  He is telling go black and I'll never go back - or something like that)
1968 Charger RT
1969 Charger RT
1968 Super Bee
1970 Super Bee V Code

The70RT

If it is a real RT I would stay original corlor.....which is??
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

DPL

I have the fender tag and it states its a bronze car.  Not my favorite but still absolutley beautiful if you are a charger guy.  I'm not one to be correct with the colors and such of tis kind of thing - I just want to drive em and love em.  Thats it!
1968 Charger RT
1969 Charger RT
1968 Super Bee
1970 Super Bee V Code