News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Should I use a mechanical or electric fuel pump?

Started by Charger1973, July 07, 2007, 03:45:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger1973

The motor is a 400, but it will be a 451 stroker eventually.  Im about to replace the gas tank, sending unit, fuel lines, and get a new intake and carb (about 800 cfms).  Right now I have an electric pump hooked up but I dont like it and was thinking of going back to a mechanical one.  Is this a good idea?  Or will I want the electric one with this setup?  If a mechanical is ok, which one should I get?

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Charger1973 on July 07, 2007, 03:45:06 PM
The motor is a 400, but it will be a 451 stroker eventually.  Im about to replace the gas tank, sending unit, fuel lines, and get a new intake and carb (about 800 cfms).  Right now I have an electric pump hooked up but I dont like it and was thinking of going back to a mechanical one.  Is this a good idea?  Or will I want the electric one with this setup?  If a mechanical is ok, which one should I get?

im in the process of building a 512 stroker and im told it should be ok with a mechanical pump so im going to run a holley110gph and see how it goes! so yes id try the mechanical one first if i were you.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Chryco Psycho

I like the quiet mechanical street pumps for street use , the electrics whine & get old fast , if you do go electric get a mallory pump

Charger1973

Thanks guys, ill try the mechanical one.  Any recommendations on which ones to get or not to get?

supserdave

We've had good luck with the carter pumps, and bad luck with the holley pumps.

Charger1973

Moparguy also recommended the carter so I think i'll give it a try. 

Purple440

I'm using a Carter 120 and it's been fine so far.  The only fitting size I found on summit are 5/16 inlet so be prepared to adapt if you have 3/8 lines.

Charger1973

Hmm, not sure if I want to adapt them or not.  I have 5/16 lines now but planning to replace them soon and going with 3/8...  :scratchchin:

Purple440

That's what I just got done doing.  I just used short pieces of hose with clamps, no big deal, but not pretty.

Charger1973

Wouldnt that defeat the purpose of going to 3/8 lines though?

Purple440

If you think about the volume difference between 5/16 and 3/8, given the length of the line between the tank and the pump assuming you also install a 3/8 sending unit at the tank, it provides more volume to the pump.  I didn't actually calculate the difference though.  But, numerous members have said that 5/16 line is fine for a 500hp range car assuming you have a high volume pump...in hind sight I would have replaced the pump and left my 5/16 in and tested it.  But I'm still glad I put the bigger lines in, and if you need 3/8 from tank to carb you can get a 3/8 inlet pump I was told, so you'd have 3/8 all the way but I can't tell you which mech pump will give you that.  If Carter does, I didn't see it.  Check summit or jegs, maybe I just missed it  :-\

If you do find one, plz post up a link or something,

- Doug

oz_charger

Try Clay Smith at www.claysmithcams.com, they have a mechanical pump with 1/2" in and out and its supposed to support over 1000hp.

Ghoste

Wow!  That's one big mutha mechanical pump.

Charger1973

I ended up just grabbing a stock replacement pump for now.  Once I get the stroker kit, i'll upgrade it, but I decided im going to stick with a mechanical one.

Charger74

Just keep a spare with you when you take it out, had one go out on me on a drive to Tucson one nite.  Sucked cause there were no stores open til the next morning.  Then bought a holley mechanical, never evr again, it failed within 3 days.

Nacho-RT74

not to highjack, but, is there different fuel pumps to each line size ?
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Ghoste

You can get size specific pumps or you can use adaptors.

Nacho-RT74

well but What the hell I do with an adaptor if internally Pump works sucking the same LOL... when I mean about that wasn't really because the fittings/outles, like really internally
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Ghoste

Which asks the obvious question, why put a big high volume pump on an engine and leave the smaller fuel lines running back to the tank.  I think when it comes to internals, it will basically be that the higher the output, the larger the internals. 
As to are there different pumps to different line sizes, well, yes.  If you ordered a Hemi, which came with the higher output Hemi fuel pump, you were also getting 3/8 lines.  There would be other cases where the fuel line would be the same, for example a 340 and 318 car both had the same fuel lines, but the pumps have different flow.  In that case, I suppose the smaller fuel line can support the 340 and more than support the 318?

Headrope

Did any '66 or '67 non-Hemi B bodies come with a 3/8 line?
Sixty-eights look great and the '69 is fine.
But before the General Lee there was me - Headrope.

Ghoste

Runner

im not sure the claysmith pumps are a bolt on deal,  might have to do some grinding on your block to clear things so if you choose to go this route do some homework on it

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six