News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Thinking about selling my car for a duster...

Started by sandmbmx88, September 18, 2005, 11:23:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandmbmx88

Im thinking about selling my car to start fresh and build a car for the strip more so than the street. My 73se is heavy and big and i pretty much took the mild street route for everything i did.   Now im looking to change everything i spent all my money on to make it more so a race car. I dont know exactly how much a duster wieghs but i think its low 3000's If i start with that and add a fibo hood and bumpers I can knock a little more weight off and be at the point where wieght isnt such a limiting factor. I like the way 70-74 dusters look and i think it would be a better starting platform. This is pretty much a ranting post but theres a problem with everything i just siad. Im 18 and that 73charger was my first car.  I worked so hard to buy it and ive spent sooooo much time on it.  I learned everything i know from having this car.  It was the first engine i ever built the first rear endi ever biult...Ive gone through 3 trannys to end up with a full manual valve bodied 727.  Ive gone through so much with this car and i have so much time and money into it that it just makes me cringe to think about selling it but something tells me maybe its time to sell the 13 second boat.  just out of curiosity what would you do/think i should do?

89MOPAR

Take a bunch of pictures of the car. In case you sell it you can always look back at the pics, show them to your friends, etc.

What is it you want ?  A really fast car ?  A car suitable for the drag strip but not the street ?
If you need more speed buy a motorcycle.  About $4000 will buy you a lightly used bike that will run 11 second qtrs,with the wind in your face and no bodywork around you it feels even faster...

With most project cars you'll put in way more money into than you'll get out of it, but you gained Experience, and that can't be quantified in monetary terms.

Better to have what you want , then lament that what you have- will never be what you want it to be...
Good luck on decision.
77 Ram-Charger SE factory 440 'Macho' package
03 Ram Hemi 4x4 Pickup
Noble M400
72 Satellite Sebring Plus +

Chargerguy74

Sounds to me like you'd probably regret selling the Charger down the road......first car and all. When would you plan on having the Duster ready for the strip? Might be worth it to hang on to the Charger, save up for some /6 or 318 duster and drop a 340+ into it. Up to you, but you asked, and that's what I'd do.
WANTED: NOS or excellent condition 72-74 4 speed shifter boot for bench or centre armrest car, part number 3467755. It's a rubber boot that looks like it's sewn up leather.

WANTED: My original 440 blocks. Serial # 2A188182 and 3A100002

TruckDriver

PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

sandmbmx88

What i want is to start over and build a fast street car, that i can still drive around sometimes. have the ability to drive to the track, run 11's then drive it home if i wanted.  There are alot of "if i were to do it over" kind of things and for some reason people keep telling me when i get out of school im not going to have as much time for this kind of stuff and i think thats true. Bassically, theres a goal i want to achive for next season and to do it with the charger id be ruining a pretty nice car, spending money on the same things twice for a diffrent purpose and starting with a big wieght disadvantage.

cudaken

Sand, bulid a Blower Engine :laugh: I sure don't have to worry about weight in my 69 Charger. ;)

If you do want a light car look for a 67 Barracuda, they are lighter car than the Duster. Friends 67 with a 8.5 to 1 383 is running 12.0 and he holding it back. Does not want to cage the car.

Cuda Ken
I am back

sandmbmx88

weLL the comprimise is that i really like how dusters look. Im not really a fan of the early cuda.  About how much does a 70-72 duster wiegh stock with a /6?

cudaken

Sand, someone just posted a 67 Barracuda on the main page. One time poster but take a look. I will look up the weight on the Duster for you. Done right, 67 Looks good. I will down sizes some PIC of the 67 I did. Looked great and nasty.

It will be moved but you should be able to find the link on the main page. I think it is around 300 pounds lighter than a Duster.

Ken

PS, your name is Eric right?

I am back

RD

keep your charger and buy a cheap duster on the side and build up as a pure drag car.  that way you have the speed you want, but still have the charger to cruise in. thats what I am doing :D
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

sandmbmx88

ken-ill look for it my names joe we talked along time ago when i first built my 340 on the phone  before your blower project.
RD- I wish! money is the issue.  i would love to do that though. The money from selling my car will be pretty much all i have to start with.

Dans 68

1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

cudaken

Joe, I know we spoke on the phone but like you said it was a long time ago.

Here are some body weights. Does not list car by name just group like 67-69 A-Body. Quote from book "The weight information is designed to be realistic race-ready weights for actual street-production vehicles,not weight redused race cars".

67-71 A-body    LA Engine         3000 to 3200 pounds
67-69 A-body  B & RB Engine     3300 to 3400 pounds
71-74 B-body    LA Engine         3600 to 3700 pounds
71-74 B-body  B & RB Engine     3800 to 4000 pounds

Hope that is a little help for you Joe.

Cuda Ken
I am back

RD

Quote from: sandmbmx88 on September 19, 2005, 10:39:05 PM
ken-ill look for it my names joe we talked along time ago when i first built my 340 on the phone   before your blower project.
RD- I wish! money is the issue.   i would love to do that though. The money from selling my car will be pretty much all i have to start with.

I am a non-trad college student, working two piddly jobs and my wife is a teacher and we have one child.  dont tell me about not having money :D  we are the poster children for being poor.  (teachers dont get paid much and I work two jobs that pay minimum while I go to school).  yet, I am still doing what I can to get the duster going.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

sandmbmx88

well im not married and i work in an engine shop a few days a week and go to school everyonce in awhile :yesnod: .

Ken-my girlfriends manager has a 67 cuda sitting in her garage from when her hubby died...
Theres also a 72 /6 duster for sale an hour from here.  I guess what turned me away from the older cudas is i always just see them restored with dull grandpa colors...
I do like the duster body style alot and if i could get the car to wiegh under 3000 itsself that would put me in a great position.

Brock Samson

Didn't someone,.. who's name I can't remember,.. on the old board do approximatly the same thing, trading a pristine black '68 for a race ready Demon or Duster which wasn't really streetable and then a year later come back regretting the decision?...
Stored his cars inna hanger, is he here on the new site?..  :P
I'd keep the charger and await more funds for another car,..  :yesnod:

RD

Quote from: Stratocharger on September 20, 2005, 11:35:41 AM
Didn't someone,.. who's name I can't remember,.. on the old board do approximatly the same thing, trading a pristine black '68 for a race ready Demon or Duster which wasn't really streetable and then a year later come back regretting the decision?...
Stored his cars inna hanger, is he here on the new site?..   :P
I'd keep the charger and await more funds for another car,..   :yesnod:

i remember that, wasnt he from like utah or nevada or something and his car's pics were in an aircraft hangar or something?

PocketThunder

Quote from: RD on September 20, 2005, 12:17:37 PM
Quote from: Stratocharger on September 20, 2005, 11:35:41 AM
Stored his cars inna hanger, is he here on the new site?..   :P
I'd keep the charger and await more funds for another car,..   :yesnod:

i remember that, wasnt he from like utah or nevada or something and his car's pics were in an aircraft hangar or something?

Troy has pictures of his car in an aircraft hanger, but he's not in Nevada.  So i guess that doesnt help you guys. :scope:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

sandmbmx88

well, my car is far from pristene. If i were to regret it, it wouldnt have been cuz it was such a nice car or i got such a good deal on it.

cudaken

Grand Pa my ass! Wish my Grandpa had this Charger.

This is the 67 I did and it was a hunk of rolling Mopar History. What was not dented had rusted off the dam thing. Reason we stuck a white top on the turd is it need a new roof skin. I laid the strips by hand, it is a factory style stripe not could not find a repop of it.

Joe, tell me if this looks like a old person car.

Cuda Ken
I am back

cudaken

On the fenders we added 383 decales just before it got to the door. Painted the glass bumper's the color of the car Viper Red. When Mike came to the shop he could not take his eyes off my Charger and said I want mine the same color as yours.

I don't have any PIC of it with the bumper's on it or ther exhaust cleaned off. Inperson, the look and sound of that Barracude makes my kness weak.

Troy has some PIC of it when done.

Cuda Ken, don't call a 67 a Pussy again. ;D
I am back

sandmbmx88

HA ha i never called you a pussy...and i never siad it was a grandpa car! i said grandpa colors. When i think 67 cuda i used to think of like this http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.travelhead.com/cars/cuda/ext3.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.travelhead.com/cars/cuda/&h=237&w=300&sz=14&tbnid=a63TMR1rNJAJ:&tbnh=87&tbnw=111&hl=en&start=23&prev=/images%3Fq%3D1967%2Bcuda%26start%3D20%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DN 

That one that you did looks great though.  to answer your question...that DOES NOT look like an old person car.

Lowprofile

With the outrageous prices of B bodies these days, I would never sell the Charger. You can pick up a decent A body for less than $1500 dollars, unless of course, its a 340/4 speed car or something like that.
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

sandmbmx88

my car doesnt have much curb appeal as im told. the 3rd gen charger prices didnt seem to go up to much. did they?

sandmbmx88

If i sold my car i would take my 1000 mvb 727 out of it and my 489 cased 8 3/4 with the locker and put the stock 318 in it with a 904 and 8 1/8 what would that be worth in a very striaght nice interior 73se that could use some paint? the 318 would have headers and a 340 dual plane with a brand new 650 speed demon.