News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Best way to prime hydraulic lifters for a motor to sit, hemi

Started by hemi68charger, June 28, 2007, 05:46:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Hey gang.
Well, I finally got the push rods I need to install the heads on my hemi.. Never thought about the quark of having to have the push rods in before you can torque down the heads on a 426 hemi. Well, I have to prime/pump up the lifters, but the motors going to be sitting awhile prior to initial start up. What would be the best way? I've done regular B/RB by submerging them in tranny fluid and then pushing the lifter cup to get the air out.. Is this still good enough?

Thanks.
Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

firefighter3931

Troy, as far as i know....submerging the lifter is the only way to prime them prior to installation.  ;)

Further to this is the fact that some guys wait to fire the engine and allow the oil system to pump them up.

Personally, i just install them dry (with moly paste on the faces) and pour some oil over the top of the plungers. A little noisy initially but they will pump up quick.

Hope this helps.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

hemi68charger

Quote from: firefighter3931 on June 28, 2007, 08:36:53 AM
Troy, as far as i know....submerging the lifter is the only way to prime them prior to installation.  ;)

Further to this is the fact that some guys wait to fire the engine and allow the oil system to pump them up.

Personally, i just install them dry (with moly paste on the faces) and pour some oil over the top of the plungers. A little noisy initially but they will pump up quick.

Hope this helps.

Ron

Hey Ron..
I'm going to go with this as well.. I'm getting the same feedback.. I'm just being very cautious since this is my 1st and only Hemi... lol
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection