News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

mylar chrome on door panels..cheap fix

Started by chgr500, June 27, 2007, 03:55:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chgr500

This is for the frugal restoration guy's.......The mylar chrome trim that always peels off the door panels on the third gens can be difficult and expensive to repair...I have found that if you take some aluminium tape used for heating duct work that it can be used with decent results...this stuff sticks to nearly anything for a long time....I peeled all the falling off plastic and cut strips of the tape in the required length and slightly wider than was required...then take a plastic razor blade and gently stick the tape on the strip starting on top and work the tape over the edges..hardest part is not to crease it...then take a steel razor blade and trim the tape at the finished edge.....I did this over two years ago and the panels still look the same.....at least they are shiny and not peeling off.  :Twocents:

Sorry I didn't think pictures would be required....but for the pic freaks I could take some if you need to see... :yesnod:

Nacho-RT74

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

41husk

That is a good idea!  How about some pictures.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

rudyjrusa

Quote from: chgr500 on June 27, 2007, 03:55:36 PM
This is for the frugal restoration guy's.......The mylar chrome trim that always peels off the door panels on the third gens can be difficult and expensive to repair...I have found that if you take some aluminium tape used for heating duct work that it can be used with decent results...this stuff sticks to nearly anything for a long time....I peeled all the falling off plastic and cut strips of the tape in the required length and slightly wider than was required...then take a plastic razor blade and gently stick the tape on the strip starting on top and work the tape over the edges..hardest part is not to crease it...then take a steel razor blade and trim the tape at the finished edge.....I did this over two years ago and the panels still look the same.....at least they are shiny and not peeling off.  :Twocents:

Sorry I didn't think pictures would be required....but for the pic freaks I could take some if you need to see... :yesnod:

i think i will try this - nobody makes the upper door Brougham type panels - tried getting Legendary to fabricate them - they said nogo - not a big market for them - i will keep on trying.