News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

V10 Charger (Update 5/25/21)

Started by GT, June 21, 2007, 01:28:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RD

things are looking great... ever thought about split twin radiators, or just making the radiator sit low and wide?  cutting out the core support wider to support that and then having the intake run in between?  I know its really outside the box, but hey, its just a suggestion.

sorry about the crude drawing.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

GT

That's an interesting idea RD...  :yesnod:
I am a bit worried about being able to cool the V10 with split radiators like that.  Pusher fans work - but are much less efficient.

I'll probably put the radiator in front of the member as suggested about (like Matt's Silver charger).
1970 Dodge Charger ==> V10
2012 Charger SRT8

Pukr

Split radiator - Not so good... very custom- big $$$.  :rotz:
73 Challenger (440) PUKR
Soon to be - 2007 Mega Cab (5.7 Hemi)

Blakcharger440

[I'd like to use the Alterkation - there is no way the stock power steering box is going to fit.  The exhaust manifold and motor mounts are in the way.  I'll put the Kframe on and snap some pics to show everyone.  I have seen some rack and pinion setups that bolt to the stock k-frame... those seem to be cheesy (but cheaper) as compared to the alterkation.  Besides, taking the t-bars out of the pic will give me more space for the exhaust and take some load off the frame where I had to cut the transmission mount... options options :)

Hey I would really think twice about using one of those rack systems that bolt to the stock K-frame as I have heard nothing but problems concerning that type of setup so far...with a certain particular company that is.

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

GT

As promised, here are some pics with the original K-frame installed.  There is pleny of room around the motor - anywhere from 1/2" up.  What I found amazing was how close the motor mounts are.   I also noticed that I can relocate the motor mounts on the V10 - there are two locations.  :2thumbs:  I can only assume the Viper had the motor mounts in the front position - about 5" forward.  If I use those locations, the fabbing of the motor mounts becomes quite simple.  In the pics, the mounts are located in the back position as on the SRT-10 truck.

Oh yeah - no way will the power steering box fit - hits the mounts (in current position) as well as the exhaust manifold (close).  Also, the center link would most certainly go through where the oil pan is...

2012 Charger SRT8

GT

Couple more shots - note the bolt hole for the forward position of the motor mounts on the block...
Looks like the oil pan hangs down about 4-4.5"... hmmm...  :-\

2012 Charger SRT8

Just 6T9 CHGR

Do you have a further away shot of how far the pan hangs down past the K-frame?  The shots you posted dont "look" that bad...
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

70charger_boy

gordo1968charger

to quote clark wilhelm griswald"nothing worth while is easy"
besides when you blow away some punk in his ricer at the lights,the smile will be priceless,for everything else there is mastercard!
68 charger+4 kids=2 jobs

autodynamics

GT

Well it's been almost a month - had to take 2 week business trip which put a cramp on the hobby (hey - have to pay for the parts right?)  :yesnod:

Received in the Kiesler 4 speed pedal kit and went ahead and restored/converted the assembly.  I painted it all black (instead of natural finish on the brackets) for maintainability vs. correctness.  Btw, the Kiesler kit arrived FAST and it is a quality kit.  :2thumbs:  Really liked the needle bearing assembly on the clutch pedal.  Here are some before/during/after shots:

2012 Charger SRT8

GT

Also made a bunch of calls and sorted out the radiator deal.  I ordered a FSR radiator - Aluminum Dual 1" cores that is 19"x31".  It's a called a chevy radiator due to the location of the inlets and outlets (Good for me - Chevy parts are cheaper).  It is a triple pass unit and they custom welded on 2" inlets and outlets for the V10.  Should due nicely.  They charged me the standard rate - not bad for ~$250 delivered.  Bryan Snyder at Bryke Racing was awesome to work with (www.bryke.com).

Also picked up a SPAL 16" fan with the wiring harness and thermostat.  All-in-all, I spent ~$400 for the entire setup that I pieced together off of ebay with New parts!  Gotta love it!  :2thumbs:

Spent some time yesterday fitting it and modifying the radiator support a bit to clear the tubes.  Still need some work - but I'll wait until the lower XV Radiator support bracket comes in.  As you can see - I had to mount it in front of the radiator support for clearance for the fan / v10.   I will need to install the A/C condensor in front of it and the power steering cooler then modify the hood latch support for clearance (next week's project :)).
2012 Charger SRT8

autodynamics

Blakcharger440

Very Nice! Keep up the great work as this is very interesting!

694spdRT

1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

70 Charger RT

What an interesting project.  Keep us posted.
70 Charger R/T - 440/6
07 BMW 328iS
04 GMC SLE 2500 Diesel

PocketThunder

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

GT

It's been a few months since my last update.  This part is going slow with all the mock ups & tear downs

Been focusing on installing the shock tower and lower radiator supports from XV Motorsports.  Also had to wait for the Alterkation to be built. 

Here I hacked off / spot drilled out the old lower radiator support and installed the new.  Pretty easy - took about an hour.  It is amazing how flimsy the stock unit is.  :eek2:
2012 Charger SRT8

GT

And a couple shots of the XV Motorsports shock tower reinforcements.  Took a lot of grinding to get a good fit.  Also had to deal with were the parking brake bolts were.  Considerable welding - took probably 4 hrs in total. 

2012 Charger SRT8

GT

Now the fun part.  I've started mocking up the alterkation.  Here are some shots of just the K-frame and rack.  I tell 'ya what - the Alterkation is a quality unit.  Beautiful welds with excellent fit.

2012 Charger SRT8

GT

And with the V10 installed - which meant removing and installing the Alterkation... again...  :-\

Plenty of clearance around the oil pan and rack.   As suspected, the oil pan hangs about 3-1/2" below the bottom of the Kframe.   I'll deal with that later.  I'll spend the next couple of weekends fabbing up the motor mounts, tranny mount, and the Flaming River steering column with 3-ujoint connector.

2012 Charger SRT8

autodynamics

G...my hats off to ya. allot of these guys on this board will cringe at the thought of "modifying" a charger. good luck looks great shoot me a email if you need any help with the wiring... Pete

Just 6T9 CHGR

The pan doesn't look "too" low.....especially in the front on shot.  Ive seen Milodon pans that hung lower (although they don't survive long on my crappy NYC streets)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

GT

It's been a few months, time for a quick update and a few pics  :icon_smile_big:

The engine and tranny placement are done.  Finished the custom engine and tranny mounts as well.  It's all be test fitted along with the flaming river steering column and 3 U-joint linkage... that was fun  ::)

It's getting real expensive now - major $ at this point.  I need to obtain the rear end, wheels and tires.  Decided to go with 335/30ZR-18's in the back that measure about 13.5" across, and 345/40SR-18's in the front (Picked up the 4 from The Tirerack for about $1,000 shipped)  :2thumbs:

Here is what was delivered yesterday:

2012 Charger SRT8