News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

V10 Charger (Update 5/25/21)

Started by GT, June 21, 2007, 01:28:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrible one

GT, your work is remarkable! It's awesome how you're making the V10 setup work, and the engineering you've devoted to the project is amazing. I figured the car would have to be all hacked up to get that thing in there but the modifications you've done to the body are minimal. Very smooth. That steering shaft setup is CRUCIAL! I can't wait for the finished product!

six-tee-nine

Yeah, this is a true work of ART....

U have a huge load of patience that's for sure... :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

PocketThunder

I love GT updates...  :drool5:   :drool5:   :drool5:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

GT

It's been another month.  Lots of progress on little things.  Spent a HUGE amount of time placing the orders for the wheels, brakes, console bits and pieces, as well as engineering out some pieces (watts link, air intake tube modeling, etc.).   It'll be 3-4 more weeks to the "good" stuff gets here.  :icon_smile_big:

I started off taking care of some nagging tool issues.  The job goes much better with the right tools.  I broke down and ordered a sandblaster (some assembly required  :flame:) and glass beads/walnut shells.  Mine life is good - don't know how I lived without this.  Started off by putzing around with the interior a/c unit.  I'll slowly rebuild it as I have time or when the weather is bad.

I was going to buy a new a/c evaporator - but wow - it cleaned up nice!
1970 Dodge Charger ==> V10
2012 Charger SRT8

GT

Then I fixed another PITA tools problem.  I had an el-cheapo powder coat gun and a home oven for curing - but I didn't have a proper place to spray.  The powder goes everywhere is is unhealth.  Fixed that with a few 2x4's and some left over press board.  Built a quick rack system to make things easier for transfering from the booth to the oven.  The filter is one of those fine/cotton types that does a great job trapping all of the left over powder.  Best of all - this cost me like $20 including the fan and filter.  :2thumbs:

So I threw in the control arms from the Alterkation and baked 'em up.  Turned out nice.  I think I have maybe $100-$120 in the whole rig (booth, double oven, gun, supplies). 
2012 Charger SRT8

GT

On to the next challenge.  I new I had to deal with the viper oil cooler.  Since it is cramped under the hood - decided to hang it under the passenger fender.  This required some holes.  A buddy let me borrow a hydralic Greenlee whole punch  :2thumbs:  All that remains is to fab up the oil cooler lines from braded hose.  I have the materials, but I'll wait to later down the road to do that project.

While I don't show it hear - I mocked up the front end to ensure that clearance wouldn't be an issue...
2012 Charger SRT8

GT

It's the little stuff that is killing me...  :eek2:
Finally figured out what to do with the air intake tubes / cleaner.  I'm going to mount them under the fenders as well to pull cool air.  I went with 3" tubes and had a devil of a time figuring out the compound angles and welding it up.   I'm about 75% done with it at this point - called it quits for the night after spending 5 freaking hours on it.  :brickwall:  And that is what is lovely about our hobby... just walk away for a bit.

2012 Charger SRT8

GT

More pics of the tube.  After first mock up - I determined I had to add about a 1" lip to ensure proper sealing.

The tubes had to bend down, back, and have as tight as radius as possible yet clear the radiator, fan and water outlet house.  Oh yeah - they had to be symetrical as well.  I am sure I'll have nightmares about this for a while... quite possibly the hardest fabbing I have had to do yet. 

Until next month!
2012 Charger SRT8

Neal_J

Amazing ability and craftsmanship.  Thanks for the updates, really enjoy them.

Keep up the GREAT work!

Peace,

Neal J.

tan top

more  cleaver fabrication stuff  ...  awesome stuff  ................................. :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

royt440

Ingenuity and perseverance :cheers:
Gonna be a killer ride.  Good luck on the build.

Roy

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

ChargerSG

Looking for 383 Magnum #0B196875 and 0B115166

Musicman

PocketThunder

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

69*F5*SE

Fitz73Chrgr

'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

RD

i have learned so much from your trial and error... the knowledge learned is definitely not in vain... thanks.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

GT

It's been a while - so here is a little eye candy.   I have more pics/updates I'll post a little later.

Big news is, the wheels arrived.  I had the mounted and I am in the process of mocking them.

Once finished, I'll have the width of the Dana 60 needed.

These are Forgelines ZX3P 3 piece wheels.  Centers are Titanium powder coated, the inners/outers are satin black.
They have the maximum "dish" allowed on these wheels.   They are 18x12's rear and 18x8's in the front - around 5.2" BS

I had to go up to 18" to get the desired width (335's rear, 255's front).  But I *hate* that rubber band look.  Muscle cars shouldn't have that IMHO.

So I choose the satin black outer/inners to match the tires and give it a wider sidewall look.  Adds a good 1" to the look of the sidewall.

I think it worked out well!       This is so exciting - I've been dreaming about new wheels for 10 yrs, planning and shopping for 3, and had to wait 2 months for these to be custom made.

I'll need to cut the fender lip and roll it a bit so that I can push the wheel out father to the outside edge - it'll look better that way.

Enjoy:
2012 Charger SRT8

GT

More...
2012 Charger SRT8

Musicman

Just curious.. if you wanted the width but didn't want the 18" rim, why didn't you pick up a set of Mickey SR's or something similar? Was it just that one style tire that sparked your interest :scratchchin:

What is the actual mounted width of the new ones, have you measured them yet? Again, just curious ;D

HKCharger

GT

Need 18" rims to clear the 14" disk brakes.   Only thing I didn't want is the rubber band look.
2012 Charger SRT8

Musicman

Roger that sir... them 14" disc's will require some clearance  :yesnod:

CHRGR SE

Under construction 1973 Charger SE/RT resto-mod.