News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Converter & trans question

Started by sailpanel, June 17, 2007, 06:36:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sailpanel

I'm trying to think a little ahead here. My block and heads are at the machine shop so Iv"e started trying to think ahead about the trans. The trans guy I'm using will be getting me a rebuilt converter. I have a O.E. 11" and a O.E. 12" to use as my core but don't know which direction to go. With as heavy a car as my 66 is with 3.23 gears I know I should probably go with the 11" even though I hate that higher stall sound. I know that you can't say with certainty what a 11" stall speed is verses a 12"  because of all the other factors, but is there a rule of thumb stall speed that some one can tell me on both of these sizes?  Also should I tell the trans guy to leave out the accumulator spring? I know this will firm up the 1st 2nd shift, but will it be harsh?  Anything else I should consider?
2010 Jeep Commander
1993 W150
2010 Furious Fuchsia Challenger R/T classic

Ghoste

Leaving out the spring isn't enough, you have to put a rod in there to block the piston.  It will definitely make the shift harder.

John_Kunkel

Leaving the accumulator spring out has no effect on shifting, like Ghoste said you have to block the piston to disable the accumulator and I wouldn't advise it.

There is no way to predict the stall speed of a given converter, in some years the identical same 11" converter was used behind several different engines and the stall speed varied from 1650 to 2850.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.