News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

help wont start

Started by chargerman68, June 16, 2007, 01:43:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

supserdave

Yellow port is usually used for power brakes to the booster....

EffinDuff

I have the yellow port connected to the PCV valve and on the back of my strip dominator intake there is a port that is connected to the power brakes.  Is this wrong?  :shruggy:

UFO

EffinDuff- your hookup is right.

chargerman68

hey got spark but now there is fuel pouring out of the blk circle on the carb after acouple of cranks....any ideas
1968 CHARGER R/T CLONELOOKING FOR ANOTHER PROJECT 69-70 CHARGER SHELL

supserdave

Float is either stuck or set to high..........

chargerman68

how to adjust.....

brand new out of the box carb,didnt know i had to adjust anything.

Charger-Bodie

prob. stuck then tap lightly by the fuel inlet , try again.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

chargerman68

chargerman68

update carb keeps catching on fire.......

supserdave

What Brian said........I never played with an Eddy carb, do you have the instruction manual, or get on there website and check.

chargerman68

so now it is spitting gas out the top of the carb at me!!!

supserdave

If it backfires out the carb your to far advanced.......Need to get the float problem fixed before you go on.

chargerman68

so wifey was playing in the car and pressed a switch and now the ignition works...no more remote start!!!   LOL

chargerman68

float fixed now it  still catches fire.....

supserdave

Timing is advanced to much......

chargerman68

off the dist...turn towards the driver or away

chargerman68

i have tried every which on the dist....still nothing :brickwall:

General_01

Turn the dist. counter-clockwise to retard and colckwise to advance. Also, check your idle mixture screws if you have fuel dumping out of the carb yet. Turn them all the way in. Back them out 1 and 1/2 turns for a base. That should be close. Count the turns as you screw them in. If they are backed out less then that, stay with that. The good news is that if you are getting fire, you are getting spark. Only a matter of time now. :icon_smile_big:

Get wifey to turn it over while you fiddle with the distributor if you can. :icon_smile_big:
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

chargerman68

only have min turn on the dist due to vaccum advance and water pump housing hose..

firefighter3931

Are you getting spark to the plugs ? My guess is that the plugs are fouled pretty bad with all the cranking you have done....the crankcase is probably full of fuel. Smell the dipstick and if it has a gasoline odor then change the oil and also get some fresh plugs in it....i like NGK xr-5's for iron head 440's.

You need to start from scratch, get the engine to TDC compression stroke and go through the firing rotation to double check everything. The rotor can be pointed to any tower on the cap as long as you follow the correct firing order going counter clockwise. I like to have the vacuum can pointed towards #1 cylinder as this will allow for movement fore/aft on the distributor when setting the timing.

First thing to do is verify spark....then swap in some fresh plugs and change the oil so you don't wash down the cylinder wallls with fuel and waste the rings.  :Twocents:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

supserdave

I know this has been covered about 10 times, but where did you put the #1 spark plug wire on the distributor?  Did you find Top dead center and then take the dist. cap off and put it where the rotor is pointing?

Your close man!  :2thumbs:

General_01

Is your vac advance already hitting the heater hoses? If I look straight on at my dist from the passenger side, the canister nipple is at 1:00. I have a stock distributor. This gives me plenty of room between heater hoses and fuel line/valve cover for adjustment.
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

chargerman68

firing order is fine here are some pics where i left off due to now again dead batt...

supserdave

Are you missing your distributor hold down?  It looks like the distributor is up out of the block to far??

chargerman68

i will check on that...

whats up with the carb fires???
cant get them to stop i wait at least ten fifthteen minutes before restart..