News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

GROUP BUY '69 Charger Tail Light CHROME TRIM.

Started by Charger Aficionado, June 15, 2007, 06:53:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger Aficionado

If you guys want a set I can get you $25 off of them (if I get 5 orders).  Here is the eBay auction with information on them:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&viewitem=&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%3A80%2Fsearch%2Fsearch.dll%3Ffrom%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm37%26satitle%3D250130868932%26fvi%3D1&item=250130868932

They are not the cheapest thing, but that is due to the chrome process.  Even if you do chrome your originals there will always be an issue with the broken metal tabs on the back.  Most of the "female receptacle tabs" is broken also.  You will have to epoxy these to original lenses (at original post points).  BUT they are much much lighter than the old ones, and will not clang-around like originals.  I have asked designer to make posts longer so they could be melted (currently flush with tabs). 

We've been working hard on getting these done, and NEXT is the COMPLETE '69 Grille!!!  Stand-by to have new grilles!  TRIVIA:  Did you know that the original grilles were first painted COMPLETELY silver, THEN painted black???  We just sanded-down some NOS pieces for the molding process, and we were pretty surprised to learn that.

DON'T THEY GIVE IT A BETTER LOOK???

resq302

What kind of price are the trim pieces going to be?  Is it the buy it now price or something different?
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Charger Aficionado

bill440rt

Do I dare ask what the reserve is??  :scratchchin:

Are they a little rounder looking than the originals? It's a little hard to tell by the photos.
If they are exact like originals, only in plastic, I think I'd be interested in a set.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Charger Aficionado

Quote from: bill440rt on June 16, 2007, 05:11:40 PM
Do I dare ask what the reserve is??  :scratchchin:

Are they a little rounder looking than the originals? It's a little hard to tell by the photos.
If they are exact like originals, only in plastic, I think I'd be interested in a set.

Reserve is the BIN.  They look exact before chrome.  The chrome MAY give it a coated look, but they look great in person.

resq302

What do you mean by "a coated look" ?  Do they look like chrome or do they look like chrome paint?  I am actually in the need for a set since the chromers f'd up my bezels and cracked them and are now refusing to fix them. :flame:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Charger Aficionado

Quote from: resq302 on June 26, 2007, 07:27:51 AMWhat do you mean by "a coated look" ?  Do they look like chrome or do they look like chrome paint?  I am actually in the need for a set since the chromers f'd up my bezels and cracked them and are now refusing to fix them. :flame:

I've heard of the Acid dipping process used by "Traditional" chrome platers had broken the pot metal rings before.

Judge for yourself (Pics above).  The process is different.  I personally think they look awesome.  Before you order ask owner of PPR if he guarantees satisfaction. 
972 548 7056

resq302

Well, I am probably going to get a set.  How many people are we up to for the group buy?  If not, I can always wait till the winter and get them then since the pair I have on the car now is decent enough, only has the specs showing through on it but no blistering.
Brian

bill440rt

I think I'd be in for a set as well. I wouldn't mind seeing them first, or a few more close-up pics.
Will they be for sale at Carlisle next weekend? Any sort of "swap meet special" pricing?  :thumbs:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: bill440rt on June 29, 2007, 01:19:07 PM
Will they be for sale at Carlisle next weekend?

What Bill said...    Are they going to Carlisle???  I'm more interested in the repro lenses.
Not a big fan of plastic chrome pieces but sometimes ya gotta take what you can get.
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

almerkel

I know the trouble to make such parts but $175 or even $150 seems a little high.  Pass

Charger Aficionado

Please call  972 548 7056 for any further information.

I had to move back to Ca to deal w/ my custody issues for my son. 

resq302

Hey, no body can blame you for that as family comes first.  When everything gets straightened out, c'mon back and keep us informed as to what is going on with the trim pieces.  Good luck with the custody issues with your son. :pity: :2thumbs:
Brian

resq302

Brian

resq302

Troy or any other Mod's...... think we might be able to get a Group Buy on this????  :scratchchin: I think this is a much needed item as lots of ones I have seen have had the pot metal pit, blister, and worst of all, even crack.

Brian

Troy

Quote from: resq302 on August 19, 2007, 12:32:50 PM
Troy or any other Mod's...... think we might be able to get a Group Buy on this????  :scratchchin: I think this is a much needed item as lots of ones I have seen have had the pot metal pit, blister, and worst of all, even crack.

As far as I know (nobody asked me first) this is/was the group buy. I didn't set it up or get any feedback and so I really have no idea how many people ordered or were interested. The best I can tell you is to ask Jude what the status is or who to contact or to try calling the number listed in the eBay ad (972)548-7056. If anyone has ordered and received these then let me know so I can get some feedback and I'll see what I can work out.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

resq302

Ok, Troy.  Thanks for the update.  Did anyone see these out in Carlisle or at the Nats?  Opinions?

Thanks,

Brian
Brian

bill440rt

I'm still interested in these as well. I thought the group buy went sour??  :shruggy:
I either want to see better pictures, or better yet in person.
They were not at Carlisle. If they were at the Nats, I'd like to hear others' opinions also on the look & fit of them.

Still interested....

resq302

Just got off the phone with Premier Plastics and they are back ordered right now on the tail light trim.  They are going to try and get back to me with a time frame they expect to have them  back in stock and what kind of return policy they have.  As for their grilles, they normally do not do a return on them due to size.  Hopefully since the trim is smaller, they might be able to make an exception.  I did mention to them depending on the quality, there would be a decent interest in other people ordering a set.

As for what the coating is, from what the girl said whom I was talking to, it is an actual coating that is chrome.  She said it is sprayed on but is not like the rattle can chrome paint.  This stuff is actually reflective and is EXACT like chrome and has a mirror like shine.  According to her, the only difference would be that it would not be metallic like pot metal would be. This is actual plastic that is coated and will not yellow, crack, or pit.  Basically remove all the downfalls of pot metal and keep the appearance and you have this product.  Hopefully they will get back to me soon as this seems to be a much needed product for our 69's.
Brian

bill440rt

So... they are not plastic chrome PLATED?? Similar to armrest backings, dash bezels, etc??
I've heard about that special chrome paint process. I believe they have to be sprayed black first, then the "chrome" paint??

For me, I think I'd rather have them plastic chrome plated than a painted on coating that may chip, peel, fade, etc. Especially on an exterior part that is exposed to the elements.
Other thoughts?

Troy

Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

resq302

I see your points Bill.  I guess it all depends on what kind of warranty they have and what they look like in person.  If anything, our vehicles are not out in the exposed elements every day so it should hold up a lot better than the pot metal would I guess.  I am still awaiting a call back from them to see what they can do.
Brian

bill440rt

Quote from: Troy on August 20, 2007, 03:34:31 PM
Like this stuff?
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7836.0.html

1BAD68 did his bumpers this way.
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,26898.0.html

Troy

Yeah, Troy. That first link is the "painted chrome" stuff. Looks good in photos, but I'm not sure how it will hold up. Looks like others are a bit skeptical as well.
The 2nd link is just regular chrome spray paint. I used that same stuff on my dash bezels for the '69 (budget build). Looks like polished aluminum, that's all. No way near chrome.

Brian, the chrome holds up fine on pot metal. It's the POT METAL that doesn't last. Chrome plated plastic should hold up fairly well, the process has come a long way over the years. Think of new cars built today with all the chrome plated plastic on them.

Unless I see these things in person now, I'm a bit skeptical. Looks like it's back to the drawing board with finding a chrome plater to re-do mine. Metal repro bezels are in the works right now, but I hear they're gonna be like $400 for a pair or something crazy like that.

resq302

The advantage of the plastic like you said Bill is that it can be chrome vacuum plated.  That has to be much cheaper than getting the bezels rechromed and then taking the chance of them breaking during the chroming process like the shop did to my spare set.  Granted, I would prefer to see them in person also but someone must be buying them as they are back ordered currently. :shruggy:  I would really like to find out who has a set and what they think of them.  The pics that were posted look good.
Brian