News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Question for Gear Vendor owners!

Started by RECHRGD, June 09, 2007, 08:08:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RECHRGD

I've had the Gear Vendors unit installed on my 727 auto now for a few weeks and love the automatic function of it on the highway with the lower rpm's and added passing gear at speed.  My wife freaks when I get frisky with the car, so I had not played with it in the manual mode until I was by myself yesterday.  The literature lead me to believe that in manual you could run through the gears in proper sequence, 1st--1st over--2nd--2nd over--3rd--3rd over.  The reality is that once it shifts into 1st over and your ready to shift again, per their instructions, you have to shift into 2nd and when you feel it shift then hit the button to REALLY get into 2nd because you were really in 2nd over, then hit the button again to get to 2nd over.  So, if I'm running through the gears (say in a 1/4 mile run) I have to go 1st--1st over--2nd over--2nd--2nd over--3rd over--3rd--3rd over.  I was hoping that this unit would improve my 1/4 mile times, but I just don't see how that's going to happen with all that shifting going on.  Maybe with practice you could accomplish the shifts fairly quick, but I just can't see having to downshift twice as being anything but detrimental to getting a good E.T..  I confirmed with Gear Vendors that it was functioning properly.  They said I may not want to use all of the gears in a 1/4 mile blast, but if I used any of the OD/UN features, I still would need to downshift at least once unless I want to just stay in OD.  Have any of you guys played with these things at the dragstrip to find out what works best?  I'm thinking I'll just be happy with the highway mileage and leave it at that.   Thanks, Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

Runner

the only way i can see a gear venders helping your et is if you put a track friendly rear gear in the car ( like 4.10s) and ran the car without the overdrive.    or if you where having traction troubles you could start in first overdrive to mellow the car out,  but sometimes that makes the tires spin harder because you gain wheel speed.   

when you make plenty of torque the gear choice will become less important. id guess your making enough torque to make it a moot point with the gear vendors.   when i switched from 4.57s in my turd to 4.10s the car didint  slow down  . (ran a 11.35 best with 4.57s and a 11.37 with 4.10s).     some how i left the line in drive when i was over in woodburn last year, the car shifted a little early out of first but basically shifted from 1st to 2nd but never really stayed in second and just went right to 3rd  and the car didnt slow down hardly any  (mabe .05)

i was wondering what kind of fuel milage you get on the highway with the gear vendors in overdrive?  you have 3.55 rear gears right bob?

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

RECHRGD

Hi Mike!! Yea, I'm running 3.55's.  I got over 14 mpg going to a show in Richland a couple of weeks ago running between 75/80+ and got better than 15 mpg last weekend going around 60/70 mph.  I was always around 10 mpg on the highway before.  With the price of gas these days it might pay for itself in a few years.  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

472 R/T SE

I need to roam around the site more often, missed this.

runner, you can't take off in 1st over cause the OD doesn't kick in until you're over 45mph was my understanding.  I can only get 2nd to split.
Fuel mileage, ha, that's been a joke.  I went from high 12's without the OD to barely 12's, high 11's.  A couple buddies thought maybe it's because the car isn't in it's power band.  It seems like I struggled to keep pace with everyone at 2000 rpm but @ 3000 the car love's it there and is easy to keep there.

Bob, is GV's new Autoshift the ticket to the split shifts we're talking about?  So far my conclusion is it's ideal for the weekend drag racer who wants to run deep gears and run the street and the "so called" better fuel mileage. :shruggy:
I'm thinking I need a date with a dyno or air/fuel meter to tune the carbs.  Bob, will you be making the DC Charger Meet in Kent this year?

RECHRGD

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on June 29, 2007, 06:43:24 PM
I need to roam around the site more often, missed this.

runner, you can't take off in 1st over cause the OD doesn't kick in until you're over 45mph was my understanding. I can only get 2nd to split.
Fuel mileage, ha, that's been a joke. I went from high 12's without the OD to barely 12's, high 11's. A couple buddies thought maybe it's because the car isn't in it's power band. It seems like I struggled to keep pace with everyone at 2000 rpm but @ 3000 the car love's it there and is easy to keep there.

Bob, is GV's new Autoshift the ticket to the split shifts we're talking about? So far my conclusion is it's ideal for the weekend drag racer who wants to run deep gears and run the street and the "so called" better fuel mileage. :shruggy:
I'm thinking I need a date with a dyno or air/fuel meter to tune the carbs. Bob, will you be making the DC Charger Meet in Kent this year?

Mike, something just dosen't sound right.  You should really see some improvement in your mileage.  I don't know anything about GV's new autoshift.  I thought that's what we've got when it's in the auto mode.  My question was based upon shifting in the manual mode.  You start off in 1st and it automatically shifts into 1st over at about 20 mph, then all the other up and down shifting has to happen as in the original post.
Don't know yet about the DC.com meet.  Maybe if we could talk Al Merkel into going, I could caravan over with him.     Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

472 R/T SE

You can get 1st to split?  I can't.  Only 2nd and 3rd and part of that's because I thought they said the OD wouldn't kick in until 45mph.
I understand the jist of your original question, I just can't physically do it.  It's hard to come out of 2nd over to 3rd direct, the timing is everything.  I wish I could use the floor bypass or I guess I should mount something on the shifter like GV Ken recommended.  I haven't hit the track yet cause I need my sub frame connectors.  I hooked up with a dude this weekend who's friend has a air/fuel meter so maybe I can tune the Eddies.
I'm gonna investigate the Autoshift some more.  Maybe email Ken at GV.

RECHRGD

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on July 02, 2007, 05:45:21 PM
You can get 1st to split? I can't. Only 2nd and 3rd and part of that's because I thought they said the OD wouldn't kick in until 45mph.
I understand the jist of your original question, I just can't physically do it. It's hard to come out of 2nd over to 3rd direct, the timing is everything. I wish I could use the floor bypass or I guess I should mount something on the shifter like GV Ken recommended. I haven't hit the track yet cause I need my sub frame connectors. I hooked up with a dude this weekend who's friend has a air/fuel meter so maybe I can tune the Eddies.
I'm gonna investigate the Autoshift some more. Maybe email Ken at GV.

Yes, 1st gear splits for me in the manual mode.  I haven't tested 2nd or 3rd yet in manual mode, as I'm having a vibration problem (only when putting my foot into it) that I'm assuming is just a bad engine mount.  I've had it up to over 110 mph in the auto mode with no vibration at all, as long as I'm only at part throttle.  The OD unit is basically just an on or off thing, so I don't know why you can only split 2nd and 3rd.  The 45 mph deal only becomes an issue when your in the automatic mode.  I'm confused with your statement about the floor bypass and not having a switch on the shifter.  You have to have one or the other.  I bought the B&M shifter handle that has the switch installed on it.  It's a nice looking installation.  If the "autoshift" shift option that your referring to ties into my original post, I'd really like to hear more about it.     Bob
13.53 @ 105.32