News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Look what hubby found

Started by 68chrgrwife, May 31, 2007, 03:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68chrgrwife

Look what hubby found at the junk yard  we decoded the vin and it is a 72!  We offered $300 for the whole car....no rust, solid 1/4, floors, some body work needed,and some interior and engine (obviously)...Maybe I'm getting a new car!!!!!  We are waiting to hear back from them about a price.
MOPAR OR NO CAR BABY!
LOVING MY HUBBY: CHARGERMAN68
1973 DODGE CHALLENGER: SOLD :(
1968 DODGE CHARGER RT CLONE (OK, SO IT'S HUBBY'S BUT IT'S MINE TOO, RIGHT?)
2008 DODGE CHARGER
2005 DODGE MAGNUM R/T (YES IT'S GOTTA HEMI)!

Magnumcharger

Quote from: 68chrgrwife on May 31, 2007, 03:21:36 PM
Look what hubby found at the junk yard  we decoded the vin and it is a 72!  We offered $300 for the whole car....no rust, solid 1/4, floors, some body work needed,and some interior and engine (obviously)...Maybe I'm getting a new car!!!!!  We are waiting to hear back from them about a price.

Wow! And a convertible too!
Must be really rare! :icon_smile_big:
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

TruckDriver

I never knew they made them as convertables ??? :-\
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

68chrgrwife

I am just getting started in my liking of Darts, so I have no clue about them.  I am a Charger chick and sorta Chally (I knew about my car and that's about it).
MOPAR OR NO CAR BABY!
2008 DODGE CHARGER

RD

Quote from: Wi. Charger Guy on May 31, 2007, 04:00:54 PM
I never knew they made them as convertables ??? :-\

i agree, i know the 68/69's had some 'verts... but not the 72's... anyone?
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

bordin34

I see that it has the sawzall roof delete option.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

68chrgrwife

Here is the info I found:  1970-1976

1975-76 Dodge Dart Swinger 2-door hardtopThe Dart was refreshed for 1970 with front and rear changes designed to bring the car closer to the design themes found in Dodge's full-size vehicles through grille and contour changes. In the rear, the Dart's new rectangular tail lights were set into a wedge-shaped rear bumper design continuing the angled trailing edge of the new deck lid and quarter panels. The revised rear styling cut trunk space almost in half compared to the 1969 model. 14-inch wheels became standard equipment, and the 170 in³ Slant-6 was replaced by a larger 198 in³ version for improved base-model performance and greater manufacturing economy (since the 198 shared a block with the 225, while the 170 had used its own block). Changes to the fuel system improved driveability, economy and emission control. Part-throttle downshift was added to the 8-cylinder automatic transmissions. In compliance with FMVSS 108, sidemarker lights and reflectors were installed at all four corners.

A number of other changes were made to the Dart line for 1970 in order to avoid internal competition with Dodge's new ponycar, the Challenger. The convertible was discontinued along with the optional 383 and 440 cubic-inch V8 options, leaving the small-block 275-horsepower 340 four-barrel V8 as the top Dart engine. The sole performance model in the Dart line for 1970 was the Swinger 340 two-door hardtop.

Beginning in 1971, the "Swinger" name was applied to the high line two-door hardtop (formerly the Custom) while the base hardtop was called the "Swinger Special." The single taillamps of 1970 were given over to the badge-engineered Plymouth Valiant Scamp, while the 1971 Dart received new dual taillamps that would be used through the 1973 model year.

Also in 1971 Dodge also gained a version of Plymouth's popular Valiant-based fastback Duster, called the Demon. As was the case with previous Dodge rebadges of Plymouth Valiants (e.g. the 1961-1962 Dodge Lancer), sales of the Demon lagged behind those of the Duster. Arguably, the Demon was the better looking car and had an aggressive look reminiscent of the 1970 Swinger 340. With optional hood scoops and black-out hood treatment, the car advertised that it meant trouble. The 275hp 340cid V8 backed up that statement. The Demon's mismatched 'Dart' front fender wheel lips and 'Duster' rear wheel fender lips illustrate how quickly this new model was created. The Demon's tail lights had been intended for the 1971 Plymouth Duster 340 (they match the 1971 Duster 340 grille), but quickly given to Dodge to differentiate its "new" car from the similar Plymouth.

The Swinger 340, Dart's performance model, was replaced by the Demon 340 for 1971. Chrysler Canada, though, did build a small number of 1971 Swinger 340 hardtops based on the Swinger Special for two dealers in Western Canada.

Physical changes to the 1972 Demon 340 came in the form of a different grille shared with the entire Dart line-up, new for 1972 side market lights which were no longer countersunk into the car's flanks, a more mundane dash cluster featuring a large rectangular speedometer and several small round gauges and new metal Demon fender-badges that no longer contained the small devil character from the decals used in 1971. The Demon decal on the rear of the car still did. 1972 also debuted a new optional single hood scoop for the Demon 340 that replaced the dual scoops from 1971 and was coupled with a stylish hood paint/black-out that had been standard on the Demon Sizzler model from the year before. Cars optioned up with the Rallye styled wheels now came with new "nut" styled center caps finished in a light argent silver paint.

For 1973 the Demon fastback was renamed Dart Sport, in response to certain Christian groups' complaints about the "Demon" name and devil-with-pitchfork logo. The big-engined fastbacks thus became Dart Sport 340 in 1973, and Dart Sport 360 for 1974 when the 360 in³ (5.9 L) V8 replaced the 340 in³ (5.6 L) V8.

1973 models gained more massive front bumpers to comply with new federal regulations, as well as side-impact guard beams in the doors and new emission control devices. New single-piston disc brakes replaced the more complex 4-piston units offered from 1965 to 1972, though Chrysler did not address the premature rear-wheel lockup that continued to plague disc brake equipped Darts. Chrysler's robust new electronic ignition system was standard equipment with all engines, and starter motors were revised for faster engine cranking.

New for 1973 was the Dart Sport Convertriple, basically a Dart Sport with a fold down rear seat and a manual sunroof. It was advertised as "Three Cars In One" including an economy compact, a convertible alternative with the sunroof and a roomy station wagon-alternative thanks to a fold down rear seat. The fastback roofline and fold down rear seat were similar in concept to two other Chrysler Corporation vehicles of the past including the glassback 1964-66 Plymouth Barracuda and the original 1966-67 Dodge Charger.

In 1974, the US federal 5 mph bumper impact standards were extended to cover rear bumpers as well as front ones; as a result the Dart's rear bumper grew much more massive. Taillights larger than the previous year's items were set above the rear bumper, rather than within it. Shoulder and lap belts were finally unitized into a retractable, inertia-sensitive "Uni-belt", replacing the difficult-to-use separate belts that had been installed through 1973.

The Dart and its Plymouth Valiant/Duster clone led the American compact car market during the early 1970s. Their already-strong popularity was bolstered by the Arab oil embargo of 1973, which caused gasoline shortages with long lines at stations and dramatic price increases at the pump. To capitalize on an emerging trend toward luxurious compact cars, Dodge introduced the Dart SE (Special Edition) in mid-1974 as a four-door sedan and two-door hardtop. The SE included velour high back bucket seats with folding armrest, carpeted door panels, woodgrain instrument panel and deluxe wheel covers along with a TorqueFlite automatic transmission as standard equipment.

Aside from a new grille, the 1975 models were virtually identical to the 1974s, except that California and certain high-altitude models were equipped with catalytic converters and so required unleaded gasoline. A 4-speed manual transmission was offered for the first time with a 6-cylinder engine since 1965, and with a new overdrive 4th gear ratio. A special-image model of the Dart Sport, the Dart Sport Hang Ten, featured surf-themed graphics.

In 1976, several special models were offered. The Dart was made available in a police-spec version, with production code A38. The A38 Dart had the highest-specification components and systems from front to back; suspension (with a rear sway bar), brakes, cooling, electrical, and powertrain systems were all maximum-duty. The engine was Chrysler's 360 in³ V8, with an A727 TorqueFlite transmission. Production totals were low, with most A38 Darts going to the Los Angeles Police Department and the Ventura Police Department in Southern California.

The Dart Sport got several special variants for 1976. In a tie-in with the American bicentennial celebration, a Spirit of '76 edition was released featuring white paint with prominent red and blue bodyside striping meant to evoke the image of the American flag. And with fuel economy becoming more of a concern, a special Dart Lite was released. This was a Dart Sport made as light as possible with an aluminum hood, trunk bracing and bumper brackets, an aluminum intake manifold on the 225 in³ Slant-6 engine for the first time since 1960, specially-calibrated carburetor and distributor, extra-tall rear axle ratio, and TorqueFlite automatic or the A833 4-speed manual transmission. The Dart Lite and its sister model, the Plymouth Feather Duster, were rated at an impressive 36 mpg highway with a manual transmission.

For the Dart's final year of 1976, front disc brakes became standard equipment and a new foot-operated parking brake replaced the under-dash T-handle unit that had been used since the Dart's 1963 introduction as a compact car.

MOPAR OR NO CAR BABY!
2008 DODGE CHARGER

71superbee

If I recall correctly, the 3rd and 4th digits of the vin should be "27" for it to be a convertible

Old Moparz

There was a '70 or a '71 Dart convertible at Carlisle one year, but it was one that someone made from a late '60's Dart convertible. 1969 was the last year for a factory Dart ragtop. If you were going to keep the junk yard Dart as a ragtop, it might be worth the $300 if the person who cut the roof off did a clean job, but I seriously doubt that. My guess is someone needed a clean roof & rear window for a 340 car & cut that one off to use. Chances are they cut "extra" for themselves & would have left a mess on the junk yard one. It'll also need subframe connectors just to move it so it won't sag. (it's already sagging in the photo.)

Personally I like it, but it would be an expensive toy to fix, but a lot of fun to leave it as is, but stiffen it up just to drive. ;D
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Hemidoug

No 'verts were produced after 1971 by Mopar. No Dart 'verts were made after 69. If it is a 'vert, someone "converted" it.  :icon_smile_big:

I agree with you on the 70-72 Darts. It's the one car that I wish I had owned at some point in time. Make mine a black on black 1970 340 Swinger with a 4 spd and 410 gears! One of my favorites for sure! Someday......... :yesnod: How could you not love that!
71 R/T 440 6pak, 4spd Mr Norms GSD

Big Lebowski

I don't think pick a part will sell the whole car once it's up on blocks. :icon_smile_sad: But they sell complete rollers occasionally at the front by the entrance.
"Let me explain something to you, um i am not Mr. Lebowski, you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the dude, so that's what you call me. That or his dudeness, or duder, or you know, el duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."

hemi-hampton

I had to put a Donor top on a 69 Dart I was working on. The donor top came from a 72 dart & it was yellow. This car sure looks like it could be the Donor, I think I got it's top. LEON.

hemi-hampton

If your looking for your Roof, Here it is? Maybe? LEON.

Nacho-RT74

Nah... that's not a dart roof
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

hemihead

No, no Dart verts in 72. And that looks like the right roof to me.I had a Limelight 70 Dart. It was Ok.
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

Khyron

LOL, thats great!

ohhh, BTW: The boys at Vintage Motorsports are at it again.

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

chargerman68

hwy how much for that roof.took a better look at it and it is a pretty good hack off job....waiting on the junkyard for an answer and i will grab it....couple 100 and i can have it going.looks to be a complete car minus the roof....
1968 CHARGER R/T CLONELOOKING FOR ANOTHER PROJECT 69-70 CHARGER SHELL

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: hemihead on May 31, 2007, 09:43:00 PM
No, no Dart verts in 72. And that looks like the right roof to me.I had a Limelight 70 Dart. It was Ok.

dart's roof are curved toward inside on rear glas area... from the distance looks is not in that way on top of lip glass...

Note... as stated FROM THE DISTANCE AND PIC ANGLE
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html

Nacho-RT74

70s Swingers should it has been available as converts... body lines give a GREAT shape to a convert, even better than 67/69s... Lot sharper than earliers.

Welll 70 swinger is one of My fav Mopars that I want and dream... thanks for those pics Hemidoug BTW.

Charger1973

Quote from: dads_69 on May 31, 2007, 10:53:47 PM
I have a '72 Dart w/a 340 stroker 377 and an extra 408 stroker 340 set up. I love Darts, but that won is in my mind a parts car. They never made a convertable dart after '69. That won has seen better days unless your man one hell of a body tech!
Mark

:iagree:

Thats gonna take more than a couple $100s to bring that one back...

68chrgrwife

if we did get it we would leave it with no top and garage it or cover it at all times.  The wheels are in the car along with a lot of parts that go with it..complete interior with little tears. I thought it would be a cool car for me..hubby can do much of the work himself (with my help of course)...we would have to pay for paint, but that's about it.
MOPAR OR NO CAR BABY!
2008 DODGE CHARGER

TeeWJay426

Here's that Dart from Carlisle Bob was referring to.... I remember talking to the guy; he built it from a rusty donor 69 Dart vert, and grafted the nose and tail from a 70 on it, because he had a parts car available. Turned out nice.

74 Charger SE, 400 HP, 4-speed

Old Moparz

That's the one TeeWJay426, thanks for saving me the trouble of going through old prints & scanning.   ;D  That same car was even in one of the Mopar mags, maybe Mopar Collector's Guide? I like it a lot, he did a nice job too.

I have a soft spot for Darts & have Plymouth's version, a 1971 Scamp.

Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

mopar_madman

we got this 71 last summer for my girlfriend for $500 complete runs and drives, slant 6, auto just had a rotted torsion bar support  (came with the repair cap) great deal check around you might find a better one.
1973 Dodge Charger
1968 Plymouth Road Runner
1971 Dodge Dart Swinger

SRT-440

Darts a good foundations to build something fun..I love my 71..and the 440 will make it that much more enjoyable.

Big Block power + Light weight car= Lots and lots of fun
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog..."

2012 SRT8 392 Challenger (SOLD)
2004 Dodge Stage 1 SRT-4 (SOLD)
1970 Plymouth Road Runner Clone w/6.1 HEMI (SOLD)
1971 Dodge Dart w/440 (SOLD)
1985 Buick Grand National w/'87 swap and big turbo (SOLD)