News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Strange Dana 60 Upgrade

Started by scottmiller, May 30, 2007, 10:01:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scottmiller

I have priced out a complete rebuild of my 8 3/4" rear with new axles and for a "few" hundred more, I can get a new Strange DANA 60 rear.  I can recoop some of the additional costs by putting the existing 8 3/4" rear up for sale.

The question I have about the Strange offering is the POSI unit.  It comes with Trac-Loc standard (a non-rebuildable unit).  For additional $$ it can be upgraded to a POWER-LOK or a Detroit Locker.  I am curious about the Detroit Locker because for the additional $285 bucks it would likely be the last time I'd ever have to touch the rear of the car (but then again the harsher engagement/disengagement probably puts stresses on other parts of the drivetrain).  Is it worth it?

I will be driving the car on the street almost 100% of the time.  My days at the track and breaking parts are mostly in the past, just want a really nice street ride (damn, did I say that... I am getting OLD!).  I know the Lockers are noisy, but am curious how noisy (never had a street car with a locker before).  If they are annoyingly noisy and Clatter a lot around turns, then maybe I should stick with a traditional POSI unit which bears the question.. TRAC-LOC or POWER-LOK.  My initial feel in going that route, the POWER-LOK isn't worth the extra coinage.

I guess I am just trying to get others opinions on these units so I can make an informed decision.

The basic drivetrain build is coming together as follows:

4.15" Stroker (496 cid) (I built this bottom end in 1992, but still good!)
Eddy Performer Head.
MP Purple cam (509", 292 duration)
850 annular discharge Holley (have had this carb for 20 years, maybe time to look at something new)
Torker 440 Intake (another piece I have had for 20 years).
TTI 2" headers, 3" exhaust
Tremec 5 speed Tranny
3.73 Gears (up for debate, currently run 4.10's on a 727 tranny, with Tremec O/D (.64) either 3.73 or 3.91 should do it and allow for a happy mix of tire boiling and highway cruising)

Thanks in advance for any and all advise.
Scott Miller

BTW:  If you think I should look at the MOSER Dana 60 instead of the STRANGE offering, I'd like to know that too!

firefighter3931

Scott,

The Trac Loc is indeed rebuildable.....i have one in my Dana.  :yesnod: I know many who race and have raced with a trac loc and had no problems.  :icon_smile_cool:

The power loc is supposed to be tougher to break.....but then again we're talking about a Dana 60 which is one strong SOB to begin with.  :icon_smile_big:

My guess is that you'd break the Tremec long before the trac-loc unit D-60 in your car.  ;)

A member over on another board races a big cube hemi (68 Charger) that makes over 1000hp and was the runner up at this years pump gas drags running 150mph in the 1/4. His car still has the original Dana 60 that it left the factory with.  :icon_smile_cool:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Chatt69chgr

From what I have read, Dana switched from the Power-Lok to the Traction-Lok around 1970 or so.  Does anyone know exactly what the difference is between the two?  Isn't the clutch type Suregrip a Power-Lok?

Chryco Psycho

I would skip the Locker
the track lock has two spider gears , the Power lock had 4