News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Disc Brake and Swaybar Question....

Started by volk68, May 29, 2007, 11:59:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

volk68

I'm currently in the middle of swapping the front drums for front discs on my 68, and have of course run into the caliper/swaybar interferance issue.  I understand that a 70-72 swaybar will work as a replacement for the original stock piece, but was hoping I could get some more specifics.  Can I simply mod the existing swaybar and brackets?  I am using the correct spindles for the car.

Any suggestions or details would be greatly appreciated.

TUFCAT

Are you using the MP power brakes setup?

volk68

No, I am doing a homebrew solution.  It basically follows the old Disc O' Tech article.

Chatt69chgr

My understanding is that you avoid the swaybar issue by rear mounting the calipers on 68 and 69 chargers.  I also understand that the 70 swaybar goes thru holes in the K-frame that are not there in the 68 and 69 models and mounts differently on the swingarms thus negating the caliper interference issue.  Those owning 70 models can probably post pictures of this arrangement detailing this.

Corellian Corvette

Doing this swap on my 68 I just put the calipers on facing the back. No interference problems.

For a swaybar, I would reccomend getting the one from Firm Feel. They make heavy-duty brackets that mount to the existing holes (you'll need to drill one new one) then convert to an easier-to-service style bushing. Very easy to install and looks great!

volk68

Did you use the proper spindle sizes, or did you use the taller spindles from a later model B Body?

is_it_EVER_done?

which spindle you decide to use is irrelevant. I prefer the "tall" spindles, but the stock height dart or aftermarket units work fine. If you swap the spindles side for side, you can rear mount the calipers (bleeder valve must point up), and brake flex lines specd for a disk brake 73 Charger fit perfectly.

Rear mounting eliminates sway bar interference, and moves the unsprung weight rearward a bit, plus you don't have a long brake hose that you have to fit through the suspension parts.

Charger1973

Quote from: is_it_EVER_done? on May 30, 2007, 03:54:22 PM
brake flex lines specd for a disk brake 73 Charger fit perfectly.

Just so theres no confusion, in 73 front disc was standard.  Also any local auto parts store should be able to get you the rubber lines for a 73 for around $12 - $15 each.

volk68

Are there any issues to be concerned with when rear mounting the caliper?  Not trying to be annoying with this, but I guess I'm just a little paranoid about getting the brakes right...

Chatt69chgr

I think Is It Ever Done pretty much covered all the issues.  The main items are getting the bleeders pointing up and the proper brake line.  He has identified the right one to use.  This has been covered extensively on here.  Is It Ever Done recommends the slider caliper.  If you are using 10-7/8 inch rotors, the caliper adapters are a dime a dozen.  The right caliper to use is one for a 79 Cordoba (with the fiber piston).  And Bendix Met-lok is the desired pad.

chargercraig

Volk, I ran in to the same problem with the sway bar on my 68. :brickwall: I ended up getting the SBCC brake kit, it fit bitchen, I highly recomend it ;)
craig