News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Who makes the best blower for 2gen Chargers?

Started by SoCal Zo (.)(.), May 24, 2007, 07:06:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCal Zo (.)(.)

Hey guys,

I was wondering who makes the best blower for our type of cars? :scratchchin:

Silver R/T

what do you mean by best? most hp, less driveability.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Mike DC

Yeah, it's sorta like asking, "What's the best engine for a 2nd-gen?"

There are three different main types of supercharger designs, not including turbochargers.  (Roots-type, screw-type, and centrifugal-type.)  Each has some pros & cons.
There's driveability benefits versus top-end numbers.  There's the issue of what is worth the money.  Some setups need the engine itself modified and others don't.  Some are for higher-octane racing gas and others are not.

The whole issue is something to research before spending any money.

-----------------------------------------------------

If it was my street cruiser, I'd probably go for a screw-type blower.  And I'd use a port fuel injection with it.

SoCal Zo (.)(.)

I guess I would be looking for on that doesn't have too much HP, but enough to make someone thinking about racing me think twice. Maybe just for weekend cruising , a nice and beefy blower but not top of the line. ;D

Ghoste

Personally I'd put my money into other areas first, BUT, there is no question that a blower will add power and there is also no doubt that people hear that whine from underhood and assume it's a mover.
A buddy of mine had a centrifigal type blower on a small displacement powertrain and vehicle of non Chrysler origin (howzat for politcally correct) and once he got the combo scienced out, it ran very strong while retaining driveability.  It took him a while to get it all cobbled together though.

Mike DC

If you really want a blower sticking up through the hood to look badass, then you want a traditional roots-type blower setup.

If you want the motor to stay hidden under a flat hood, then I would put the money into a stroker motor with big heads and just forget about using a blower on it. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blowers sound like a cool thing to brag about, but they're not really the most cost-effective way to get power into an old Charger at all.  Not when there are factory engine blocks that can be built out to 450-500 cubic inches so cheaply.  Newer cars like to use blowers so much because they don't have a prayer at getting the displacement that musclecars already have to start with.  The blowers start getting cost-effective AFTER you've already spent many thousands of dollars improving basic motor setup.

Of course a blower is more efficient than big displacement, but what is "efficiency" really worth when it takes several thousand dollars more just to build the motor?  Lots of guys spend $3-5000 on a decent blower setup for these cars (on top of the price of the motor itself).  The truth is that the price of a blower setup would cover the extra gas consumption of a stroker motor for YEARS to come.  (And the stroker would still have better power characteristics in a street cruiser.)

hard-charger

I thinks your looking for a BDS, blower drive services.. if its a 440. & then I think its the 871 for more streetability. then on top of that, a blower cam. & dished blower pistons. depending on your compression, & how much boost your looking to cram down the ports. & then good heads always help to flow that much air. ohh! & octane. the more the marrier. cause a good amount of boost, needs quality race gas. same thing for NOS. the gas in CA sux. might I ad. with a 150hp shot of NOS, I used premium gas w/ octane boost. that's pretty much it for non race gas.
so ya! let me know how it all works out. cause heck, I want a blower to! just gotta save some$.

hard-charger

I was talking with a friend of mine. he has a blower on his car & recomends a 6-71 blower for the street.