News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

break-in failure: help

Started by 68chargerboy, May 20, 2007, 08:01:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68chargerboy

i started my 440 today for the irts time so i could do the cam break in.  it ran 3 to 4 minuets then the fuel pump went out.  is my engine done for or will i be ok when i go to do the twenty miinutes in a couple of days.

Please respond  thanks  Zach

1BAD68

I did a 440 rebuild and on first start up the carb puked out. I ran it again with a different carb a day later for break in and then pulled it apart to check the cam and found no problems.
You should be ok.

Purple440

When I started my 440 for the first time a plug blew out after about 1 minute and oil came shooting out.  Fixed that and started it up and broke it in.  4000 miles later it's doin just fine.

g/l

deputycrawford

When you start an engine for a break in. For the most part, you are going above 2000 rpms to promote lifter spin in their bores and proper running oil pressure for mechanical oil pumps. If you car stops running in the first few minutes, fix the problem and restart it. Immediately bring it back above 2000 rpms and finish the break in. You will be fine. Just remember proper  :drive: will have to be done with video to ensure correct tire break in. 
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

Chryco Psycho

I run them in at just under 2000 , the only chance you have is to get it up to 1800 ASAP when you restart , most of the time you will be OK , but I have lost 1 cam this way , I would use Some Gm EOS , OR the Mopar equivalent in the oil

68chargerboy

i put eos in the engine during my first start should i put more in.  also near my exhaust manifolds there was alot of smoke coming out.  is this normal do to the new gaskets or what.

firefighter3931

Quote from: 68chargerboy on May 21, 2007, 12:17:36 PM
i put eos in the engine during my first start should i put more in.  also near my exhaust manifolds there was alot of smoke coming out.  is this normal do to the new gaskets or what.

If you put the EOS in allready you should be fine. Fire up the engine and immediately bring it to 2000 rpm and set the timing to 30-35* to keep the engine cool. The oil leak is probably due to a valve cover leak or some oil spillage on the manifold when you were putting oil in the crankcase. Check to make sure that the valvecover gasket is seated properly and torqued down.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Rolling_Thunder

yes....    timing is a good thing to do...     i neglected mine once and had an infered thrermo on it and the engine got to 170*...    not a big deal right ?   not really...      except the exhaust manifolds were at 1200*   :flame:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

68chargerboy

when i set the timing should the vacuum advance be unpluged and is that where it should be a 2k

firefighter3931

Quote from: 68chargerboy on May 23, 2007, 07:54:45 PM
when i set the timing should the vacuum advance be unpluged and is that where it should be a 2k

I don't run vac advance but if you do run it just set the timing at 30*@ 2000rpm and that will be close enough for the breakin.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

mally69

are you sure it was your fuel pump that shit the bed cuase i thought the same thing and it ended up being my feul pump pushrod being to short unless of course you installed a new one