News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

383 to 499 what do you guys think?

Started by 69Bee, May 19, 2007, 01:03:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

69Bee

hey guys, im having a 383 stroked to a 499 right now which is getting pretty close to being finished. the block is the stock one from my 69 bee.  the rotating assembly is from eagle and the top end is from indy.  the heads are the indy-1 heads along with the indy hi rise.  cam is comp cams solid lift roller 280/286  duration  580 lift which is supported by required valve train from indy.  i believe the cam number is 23-701-9.  i have not decided on a carb yet, what do you guys think? 850 or 1050 and which brand?  it will have tti long tubes. i believe 2 1/8" that are ceramic coated.  the tranny is a 727 with custom torq convertor.  belive stall is around 2800.  it will have a gearvendor also.  exhaust is flowmasters 3" all the way back with super 40 mufflers.  rear end is built 8 3/4 with 4.10 gears.  i have no clue what the power is gonna be like, can any of you chime in on horsepower numbers or approx. 1/4 mile time? thanks guys, if you have any questions ill respond asap.  -Josh

69bronzeT5

I think unless theres a major tech. expert on this site, all your gonna get is guesses.... :shruggy:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

metallicareload99

First of all I am far from a tech expert.  But with those heads (Indy 440-1?) combined with the solid roller cam and the displacement I think you'll be making plenty of power.  Any numbers from me would be a guess.  Given the choice of an 850 or a 1050 I think the Holley Dominator would be more appropriate based on your write up.  Definitely consult some one who is knowledgeable and wait for more responses in this thread before you lay down money for the carb.  Flowmaster mufflers have a reputation around here for choking off power.  Also why not use tti for the whole exhaust?  I'd think that would make the fit and install go much smoother.  I had some trouble fitting my nice tti exhaust system to my cheep Hedman headers, I actually still have a pretty bad exhaust leak.  In any case, there are probably better mufflers out there check these out:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,28374.0.html

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,27871.0.html

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,24266.0.html

A little more info would probably help out the more knowledgeable members here:

Which heads exactly are you running?

Some more details on the cam like lob separation angle or overlap?

Stroke, connecting rod length and cylinder bore?  I'll bet those pistons are pretty short.

Based on my calculations, I think you are using a 4.25" crank and bored the block about .060" over or a little more to get the 383 block to 499?

What are you expecting the car to do, street versus strip usage, how do you want it to behave on the street?

At any rate we have great members here who are very knowledgeable.  They will certainly be along soon to offer better advice.  Good luck
1968, When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth

firefighter3931

The engine should be in the 575-600hp range and be very streetable. The cam is a little small for an "all out" build because big displacement eats up duration. It will idle pretty smooth and be easy to tune. Personally, i would use a 4150 style carb like a Holley 950hp double pumper....it will be easier to tune than a Dominator for street driving.  :yesnod:

The cam is a Comp street roller 280R grind which is gentle on valvetrain parts compared to most solid roller profiles.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Ghoste

Above all, remember this "You can never go fast enough"- James Taylor to Warren Oates in Two Lane Blacktop.  ;)

Challenger340

Most "pump gas" stuff I'm doing, similar to what you're doing, comes in around the 650'ish mark, higher or lower.

Depending upon head work, you should be ballpark.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

69Bee

hey guys, what distributor/coil/ignition box would you recommend? would like to order it soon THANKs   -Josh

firefighter3931

Quote from: 69Bee on May 29, 2007, 12:00:58 AM
hey guys, what distributor/coil/ignition box would you recommend? would like to order it soon THANKs   -Josh

Josh, i like MSD....the pro billet distributor is really nice but the MP distributor works very well also....your choice there. For the box i use an MSD 6A with rev limiter and a MSD Blaster coil.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

69Bee

thanks for the reply Ron!  well today i ordered a msd 7al-2 plus ignition box,  msd pro billet distributor, and the 8251 msd coil......  what do you guys think?

firefighter3931

Quote from: 69Bee on June 06, 2007, 01:43:55 AM
what do you guys think?

I can't speak for everybody but i'll give ya a  :2thumbs:

Ron

69Bee

haha thanks Ron, i hope this thing runs good!  whats the deal with the motor in ur icon? is it urs?

firefighter3931

Quote from: 69Bee on June 06, 2007, 01:09:56 PM
haha thanks Ron, i hope this thing runs good!  whats the deal with the motor in ur icon? is it urs?

Don't worry...that stroker will run very good once it's all dialed in....the tq with a long arm (4.15/4.25) stroke is incredible !  :devil:

Ya, the engine in my avatar is an E-head, pump gas 446 that will be going in my 68 R/T as soon as i get it back from the paint shop. Lots of work to do on the car....it's just a rolling shell right now  :P

Ron

69Bee

haha, thats how my car is.... its on body dollys right now. went through a frame off restoration, bead blasted and everything.  cant wait till this things finished, hopefully whithin two months or so!  have a good one
ps. my stroke is a 4.25!