News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How hard is it to swap out the chrome switch on a wiper switch? 68 Charger.

Started by Corellian Corvette, May 16, 2007, 06:04:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corellian Corvette

I have a 3-speed wiper system in my 68 Charger. I have the switch which works fine, but the chrome on the plastic switch is bad. Finding 3-speed wiper switches is hard. Since all the chrome buttons appear to be the same, how hard would it be to remove the switch from a 2-speed and relpace mine?

Thanks!

Shakey

I think you have to drill out that little hole on the side and then glue it back on.  I say I think because I am not sure.  I had GCAR trim redo all of my switches and it looks as though that's what he did.  There are some photos in a recent thread with a title that includes the key words - dash switches.

Chatt69chgr

There is a roll pin that you need to carefully drive out to remove the chrome/plastic portion.  You may damage or destroy the plastic piece when doing this but that is the only way to disassemble this.  I removed one with no problems.  I have not found anyone that will replate just the plastic switch actuator if you take it off.  CVVacuum Platers will replate them but they say they have to remove the chrome actuator.  And they warn that they may break yours in the process since the plastic is not all that good----they said a significant portion do break.  They did say they had some extras should that happen but obviously that would be an extra cost item.  They do not sell these separately.  I think the cost for the normal replating on these was $35.  That may have changed.  I wish someone would offer these as billet items.  I notice that XV Motorsports is offering billet door lock knobs.  They are real nice but we can get these anywhere in plastic, chrome or black, for a few bucks.  Now I am no knocking the billet pieces but we can't get the switch actuators to replace ours that are messed up anywhere.  So thats why it would have been nice if XV Motorsports had offered these as they are really needed (not just nice to have like the door lock knobs) and metal ones would be a real improvement over the plastic.

dkn1997

you can buy new switch rockers for 35 bucks from one of the online shops that restores clusters. 

I swapped out a rocker from a 2 speed wiper switch to a 3 speed.  was pretty easy.  just drive out the pin very carefully.  can be done.

I think the wiper and headlights rockers are interchangeable, flasher is totally different and wont work.  a real shame since the flasher seems to be mint every time I see one...cheap too..
RECHRGED

Chatt69chgr

CV Vacuum Platers told me they would not sell these rockers individually although they had some that they had made up to take care of broken ones when they are rebuilding customers dashes.  What shop has these for sale for $35?  I would probably like to order a couple.  Thanks. 

dkn1997

it was cv, they list them for 35 bucks on the website, but I guess that's only if you are giving them 1200 to restore your cluster.
RECHRGED