News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

is this street legal?

Started by hutch, May 14, 2007, 08:25:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hutch

I am rebuilding a 73 SE with a 440 and need to start looking at exhaust options.  This is a toy I might drive one or two weekends a month for show and fun with the family.  I wanted to run a set of flow tech purple hornies off of my headers and have them just dump under the seats of the car with no tail pipes.

they have a 29 inch case.  I was wondering about the sound and performace of this option.

I did not know if this would be too much for street legal or if its going to be too loud to even stand for a 10 mile drive once a week.

Thanks for the input.

In the words of Colonel Sanders,,,   "I'm too drunk,,, to taste this chicken"

Bandit72

there is a guy around here that has them on his 79 Trans Am and i don't care for them....they are EXTREMLY loud inside the car....to the point i don't like riding with him for more than 20 miles or so....I've seen them on alot of jeeps at mudruns and they sound alot better on those because the motors are alot stronger and run higher rpms....and it's a jeep so they actually kinda stick out the sides instead of dumping under the car...they do make a set without the turndowns we put on a buddys camaro and ran 2 1/2 pipe off of on out the back and that car sounds really good.
Daddy ran whiskey in a big black dodge
bought it at an auction at the masons lodge,
Johnson County Sherriff painted on the side,
just shot a coat of primer then he looked inside,
well him and my uncle tore that engine down,
I still remember that rumblin' sound.....

Bandit72

oh also you may want to check out the fact that there is a crossmember that will most likely get in the way of "bolt on header mufflers" at least on my 72 there was no way i was getting anything like that in there....
Daddy ran whiskey in a big black dodge
bought it at an auction at the masons lodge,
Johnson County Sherriff painted on the side,
just shot a coat of primer then he looked inside,
well him and my uncle tore that engine down,
I still remember that rumblin' sound.....

hutch

good to know.  I was thinking of runing a pipe to the front of my rear wheel wells if that will help any inside the car. Just dont want my kids going def.
In the words of Colonel Sanders,,,   "I'm too drunk,,, to taste this chicken"

Charger1973

I would go with the Challenger T/A style exhaust rather than those. 

You could always have some cutouts too if you really wanted them.

1972cuda

It will be very loud inside the car not too loud outside.
They wont fit worth a darn.

fast360

If they did fit at all i would be surprised, an idiot at an exhaust shop bent me two pipes for my car it was going to exit out behind the back seat, anyway he just bent one and mocked it up and then bent the other the same and, surprise when i got home to put them on one fit and one didn't so i learned something new that day its not the same on both sides.  ::)

sapper

QTP makes some really good electric cutouts. Thats what I use on my WRX. About $400 for duel 3"