News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

WOW !!! It's like a whole different car.

Started by RECHRGD, May 11, 2007, 08:26:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RECHRGD

Well, I've finally got the Gear Vendors OD/UD unit done and put the car on the road.  Had a glitch with the install that I posted in the tech area.  But, let me tell you, i've gone from dreading those portions of highway that have 70 or better speed limits to looking for them.  With the 3:55's at 70 MPH I was running around 3100-3200 RPM.  Now I'm running around 2300-2400 RPM.  No longer do I have to watch Honda's and Yugo's pass by me.  A Charger should not only accellerate in stellar fashion, but it should be capable of running away from all other vehicles on the open road.  My car can now do both!! ;D ;D  I went for a 150 mile trip today and just love the difference.  Cruising down the highway at 75 MPH and being able to grab a passing gear is unreal.  Nobody tries to mess with you anymore when you pass them at 75+ with just a low moan coming from the new Dyno-Max mufflers.  Life is good.     Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

Dave22443

Man that sounds really good.  I've already added a Gear Venders unit to my future upgrade list but its going to be at least next year before I can do it.  This year is getting a rebuild on the 440, new 4-wheel disk setup, a new 4:10 posi rear and a new transmission with 2400 stall and shift kit.

Love your paint  :icon_smile_big:

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
- Abraham Lincoln

Ghoste

:2thumbs:  And there isn't much to add to that.

Lostsheep

Thats awesome, how bad was the overall install? I talked to those guys a while back about my 904, they were very nice. Im still planning on getting one for my car but not till after I put the 727 and new motor in. I love having that long gear feel on the highway, that for one is why Im still running a 2 series gear. I think Im at about 2500 @ 70-75 mph. Congrats on the install. :drive: :drive:

RECHRGD

Quote from: Lostsheep on May 11, 2007, 08:42:16 PM
Thats awesome, how bad was the overall install? I talked to those guys a while back about my 904, they were very nice. Im still planning on getting one for my car but not till after I put the 727 and new motor in. I love having that long gear feel on the highway, that for one is why Im still running a 2 series gear. I think Im at about 2500 @ 70-75 mph. Congrats on the install. :drive: :drive:

Well the install was pretty easy.  just go to the tech section thread that I started awhile back.  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

bull

Lostsheep

Did you feel any difference using it as a 6 speed, or did you just use it as the final OD.

RECHRGD

Quote from: Lostsheep on May 11, 2007, 10:42:19 PM
Did you feel any difference using it as a 6 speed, or did you just use it as the final OD.

Good question.  I'm dealing with some issues on the 2-3 shift from the tranny rebuild last year.  Until I get that issue sorted out, I've elected to not get too frisky with it and only played with it in the auto mode.   

Quote from: bull on May 11, 2007, 09:47:40 PM
How did you do on the mpg?

Bull, I was too excited getting her back on the road and forgot to check.  I'll post something when I know.   Bob

13.53 @ 105.32

8WHEELER

:ahum:  Bob you really have me spinning, more than I usually am. I really got to get one
of those units for mine, I can probably put that switch on my hand controls right ?

Will you be driving over this year for the charger meet  :yesnod: :yesnod:

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

BrianShaughnessy

Congrats!    OD rocks  :icon_smile_cool:      Putzing in the slow lane sucks!
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

RECHRGD

Quote from: 8WHEELER on May 12, 2007, 03:04:05 AM
:ahum: Bob you really have me spinning, more than I usually am. I really got to get one
of those units for mine, I can probably put that switch on my hand controls right ?

Will you be driving over this year for the charger meet :yesnod: :yesnod:

Dan

Dan, I went with the button switch on the shifter handle in lieu of the foot switch.  They have them for the B&M and Hurst handles.  If those don't work for you, talk to them and I'm sure they will help.  I'm not sure about coming over for the meet yet.  I'll let you know.    Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Hemidoug

Made all the difference with my 69. Running 4:10s on the highway is a real drag. I love my GV and would never give it up. If you think having it on an automatic is fun, you should see what you can do when it's coupled to a 4 spd! Good luck with it! Good choice!
71 R/T 440 6pak, 4spd Mr Norms GSD

472 R/T SE

Right-on.  :drive:  As said, one of the best modifications I've done.  I'm hoping to improve on my 13 mpg but we'll see.  I need Brian's A/F meter to get the best tune.
Dan, as Bob said, they have a switch that's suppose to work for us factory appearing guys that mounts on the shifter.  I still haven't replaced mine.  I'm restoring the console lids now so it's a good time.  For the time being I have a switch next to the GV unit box.  Kind of a overkill having two switches next to each other but the overdrive bypass button has to be switched or it doesn't work.
But Dan I don't see why you couldn't hook a switch up to the hand controls.  It would be better there anyways, with the throttle so you could kick it out when needed.  Maybe a push button?

You have no excuse for going on a road trip now Bob.  No more trailer time for that bad boy.  :icon_smile_wink:

Charger_Fan

It's good to hear good feedback on stuff like this, thanks for posting. :)
I was gonna say I'd like to find a used one, but then I got thinking...like anyone in their right mind would ever sell one! :lol:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

deputycrawford

I just wanted to hear about the mufflers. Do you have an "X" pipe? If so, then I know how they sound. I have one also. Is the moan annoying or noticable? Mine is not at all with the  "X" pipe. Remember, those mufflers will need break in time. You must go out and do a series of full throttle gear box rows to get the mufflers "seasoned." Post pics of runs and sound bites to boot.... ;D
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

Charger_Croatia

Quote from: RECHRGD on May 11, 2007, 08:26:11 PM
No longer do I have to watch Honda's and Yugo's pass by me. 

Yugo can go over 70?!  ???  Are you sure..:D
'73 Charger with 400 (under restore)
2018 Infiniti Q50 Hybrid AWD Blue Sport

RECHRGD

Quote from: deputycrawford on May 14, 2007, 06:56:04 PM
I just wanted to hear about the mufflers. Do you have an "X" pipe? If so, then I know how they sound. I have one also. Is the moan annoying or noticable? Mine is not at all with the "X" pipe. Remember, those mufflers will need break in time. You must go out and do a series of full throttle gear box rows to get the mufflers "seasoned." Post pics of runs and sound bites to boot.... ;D

Deputy-- The mufflers are great!  Going down the highway you really don't hear much (at least inside the car) until you give it some juice.  I wasn't able to keep the X pipe.  I put in a larger driveshaft and by the time I was comfortable with the clearance, it was too low for my taste.  I went with a cross connecting piece that went across the tailpiece before the OD unit.     Bob

13.53 @ 105.32

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on May 12, 2007, 02:05:56 PM
I need Brian's A/F meter to get the best tune.

Still working on that...   Taking car to my friends to weld the bung on 2nite.      Drove to 4 parts stores to find a lighter assembly (quit smoking several years ago... didn't have one) to power the O2 wideband sensor for the meter.    Ordered the $20 inductive rpm pickup today.    Couldn't seem the pull the trigger on buying the $75 tailpipe clamp yet  :P
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

CharlieCharger

I was reading your other thread about the dynamax mufflers..I'm kinda torn myself I like loud resonance in and out ..but then again I have not cruised more than 60 miles in the car ..Nice job. :icon_smile_big:
Earth. Even the word sounded strange to me now... unfamiliar. How long had I been gone? How long had I been back? Did it matter? I tried to find the rhythm of the world where I used to live. I followed the current. I was silent, attentive, I made a conscious effort to smile, nod, stand, and perform the millions of gestures that constitute life on earth. I studied these gestures until they became reflexes again. But I was haunted by the idea that I remembered her wrong -Solaris

NorwayCharger

Quote from: RECHRGD on May 11, 2007, 08:26:11 PM
Well, I've finally got the Gear Vendors OD/UD unit done and put the car on the road.  Had a glitch with the install that I posted in the tech area.  But, let me tell you, i've gone from dreading those portions of highway that have 70 or better speed limits to looking for them.  With the 3:55's at 70 MPH I was running around 3100-3200 RPM.  Now I'm running around 2300-2400 RPM.  No longer do I have to watch Honda's and Yugo's pass by me.  A Charger should not only accellerate in stellar fashion, but it should be capable of running away from all other vehicles on the open road.  My car can now do both!! ;D ;D  I went for a 150 mile trip today and just love the difference.  Cruising down the highway at 75 MPH and being able to grab a passing gear is unreal.  Nobody tries to mess with you anymore when you pass them at 75+ with just a low moan coming from the new Dyno-Max mufflers.  Life is good.     Bob

I love my gear vendors OD ;D
Got 3:91 rear, but in the hi-way it is like having a 3:00 ;)
AKA the drummer boy
http://www.pink-division.com

deputycrawford

Charliecharger, If you want the performance of the Dynomax, get the Ultraflows and run an "H" pipe. The "H" pipe will give about the same scanvenge effect but won't kill all of the resonation. You will have the best of both worlds for you. I don't like the drown but like the noise at heavy throttle. You will have both with the "H".
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.