News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

could it be a brass freeze plug or head gasket ?

Started by 4aThrill, May 10, 2007, 12:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4aThrill

Well, finally got the beast up and runnning again after having the heads fixed, had a few valves bent, do to the timing chain jump abit ya fun.  well  Dad came over and helped out with the timing and making sure things looked right, well got a oil leak first off right valve cover in the back, then I  also have the same oil leak again in the same spot like the right corner of the oil pan. I have lost count on how many times I have either messed with it or re sealed that pan over and over again. after we got her timed Dad noticed a leak of water oh boy, coming from under the header on the right side by the rear ear, so either it could be a brass freeze plug or the head gasket, which I have done afew times before. been thinking it could be  a small crack somewhere now where it's been coming from. but don't ya think the machine shop would fine that? In case some of you been wondering what is it it's an 383 2bbl from 71 now a 4bbl of course.  before we found the water I took the new wife for a ride, well the throttle got stuck I acted quick cause we were headed towards a pole, lol turned here off and slamed on the brakes. Rachael, she was already bought, after we stopped she said she was more worried about the car car then herself cool huh.

well I will be checking the freeze plugs first of course then the head gaskets does anyone have anymore thoughts of what it could be?
and what have you done for that oil pan  i have rubber gasket on there with gasgasinch on there to hold it in place I tryed the RTV on there just more of a mess, oil i mean
I am having her sent to me in Augest she's in Alaska and we are in Maryland for now military stuff, so I can have something to do other than think about buying another one.

Thankx

firefighter3931

Did you put sealant on the header bolts ? They are "wet" and need some sealant....this is a fairly common issue. Use some Permarex "ultra copper" high heat RTV on the bolts.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

4aThrill

now that I think about if I did or not put sealant on the header bolts, really i can't remeber that I did it's been a year so I will do that first.

any ideas on how to stop them oil leaks ?