News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

2006 R/T Charger A/C Help

Started by Flynsqurl511, May 06, 2007, 07:27:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flynsqurl511

I own a 2006 R/T charger. I have just got it out of the dealership because my A/C has decided that it does not want to work. The dealership has told me that a rock has put a hole in the compressor. Some how this does not seem correct to me, i have looked at my engine and it has a protective piece under the engine. Has anyone ever heard of this happening. The dealership is trying to tell me that it is not coverend under warranty and it is going to be almost 850.00 to fix it.

I just wanted to make sure that the dealership is not trying to "Take" me on this. I have had this car in the shop about 5 times in the year I have had it for multiple things, and my 36000 mile warranty is about to be up.  :RantExplode:

Thanks for you help

Big Lebowski

"Let me explain something to you, um i am not Mr. Lebowski, you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the dude, so that's what you call me. That or his dudeness, or duder, or you know, el duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."

Charger-Bodie

from the sounds of it id say you mean the a/c condensor sittin out in front of the radiator it could have gotton hit by somthing !850. seems high but there is alot of r&i work involed in that job
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

bull

Get a 2nd opinion from an independent A/C mechanic or try a different dealership. Have they tried recharging the system?

RD

67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

defiance

Quote from: Flynsqurl511 on May 06, 2007, 07:27:52 PM
I own a 2006 R/T charger. I have just got it out of the dealership because my A/C has decided that it does not want to work. The dealership has told me that a rock has put a hole in the compressor. Some how this does not seem correct to me, i have looked at my engine and it has a protective piece under the engine. Has anyone ever heard of this happening. The dealership is trying to tell me that it is not coverend under warranty and it is going to be almost 850.00 to fix it.

I just wanted to make sure that the dealership is not trying to "Take" me on this. I have had this car in the shop about 5 times in the year I have had it for multiple things, and my 36000 mile warranty is about to be up.  :RantExplode:

Thanks for you help

"about" to be up?  If it's not up, why is it going to cost you anything?

I bet it's not "compressor" that has a hole, it's the "condenser" - that's the radiator-like thing in front of the radiator, so it's much more succeptible to rocks than the compressor...  If you'd busted a hole in the compressor, I'd be VERY shocked :)

Condenser, it's plausible.

Are they saying the warranty won't cover it because of that?  Hmm... That would truly stink...

Looking at advance, even the aftermarket condensers are running $325 (!!!), so that's a pretty good chunk; factory ones are probably $450-500 just for that part...  Then they have to replace the dryer or accumulator, too (they're meant to be replaced any time a system is exposed to the air) ... nobody seems to have that in stock, but I bet that's another $100 - $150 for the factory part...  So you're up to $650 in parts there already...  Add in $50-$75 in freon & oil, plus labor, $800 does not sound too far off for a factory job.  Check with another A/C place... Looking at the aftermarket A/C parts availability, that may not be an option, but if it is, it should save you a couple hundred off of factory parts cost.

Kinda disturbing to see that new parts are even more crazy-expensive than old ones, though :/

BTW - just as an FYI, this site's members are generally (probably ~95%) old charger owners, and there are some that don't have a lot of respect for the new charger.  Just want you to know, in case somebody starts being. .. not nice :P

Incidentally, the condenser is exposed to the high-side pressures (200-300psi), so JB weld =  :no: :scared:

RD

okay so I was not very serious the first time... if the condenser only has a small hole, find a weldor to fix it.  A good aluminum weldor could most likely fix that piece without you having to have it replaced.  That way you are only paying for removal and installation.  You can recharge your system after that.  Secondly, after condenser is removed, rubber plug the inlet/outlet lines so no contaminants enter your system, that way you will not necessarily have to replace your accumulator (which I would not have done anyway).  A good flush after the condensor is fixed and then recharge.

After the guy welds it (if you plan on doing this), make sure he pressure checks the condensor.

good luck.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Silver R/T

Quote from: defiance on May 06, 2007, 09:05:52 PM
Quote from: Flynsqurl511 on May 06, 2007, 07:27:52 PM

BTW - just as an FYI, this site's members are generally (probably ~95%) old charger owners, and there are some that don't have a lot of respect for the new charger.  Just want you to know, in case somebody starts being. .. not nice :P

Incidentally, the condenser is exposed to the high-side pressures (200-300psi), so JB weld =  :no: :scared:

There's new charger? Hmm, havent seen one.

Id get another estimate from independent shop for your magnum. If you know what you're doing you can replace condenser yourself, just get shop to evacuate refrigerant before you open up the system
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

69charger2002

an 06 charger r/t? for real?? lol seriously i would take it to another dealership and get their opinion (of course don't tell them the last dealership's story).. see what happens. if nothing good, i would also recommend taking it to an actual A/C specific shop and get a quote. $800 can't be TOO far off, but you know they(the dealerships) always stick it to you.. you MAY be able to save $100-200 bucks.. and that will help go towards that miserly car payment on your 06 dodge (.......) i still don't see how rocks can get in between that huge truck grill on that car and hit the condensor.. hmm...  :icon_smile_big:
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

ChargerRT440

:popcrn: Here come the vultures lol

Ghoste

If the car is still under warranty and they are not willing to personally show you where a rock caused damage, then you need to leave that dealership and contact the district service manager as well.

ITSA426

If it is really damaged from road rocks, you might consider turning it in to your insurance company. That should go against the comprehensive part of the policy.  They would likely find the source of the damage rather than pay a claim. It might off set part of the cost.  I'd also be looking for a better dealership.

I have a new Charger in addition to the fleet of first generation cars.  Love it.

Shakey

Quote from: Ghoste on May 07, 2007, 04:04:52 AM
If the car is still under warranty and they are not willing to personally show you where a rock caused damage, then you need to leave that dealership and contact the district service manager as well.

:iagree:

A rock could damage the condenser, not the compressor.

The warranty would not cover the damage to the condenser, just like the warranty would not cover a flat tire should you have run over something on the road.  If, as Ghoste has said, they cannot point out the damage to you, then suspect a leak elsewhere in the system and have an independent mechanic or even another Chrysler dealer inject a UV dye into the system and find out where the leak is.

$850.00 to re & re a condenser is not out of line considering how the system will need to have the refrigerant recovered, the condenser will have to be removed and to do this, numerous other items will have to be removed, a replacement condenser purchased and then it will all have to be put back together.  Then the system will need to be recharged.  I'd say $850.00 sounds about right to do a major job on a newer vehicle like this.

BrianShaughnessy

I think I'd like to restore the 275 AC on my 69.   These will do    :icon_smile_cool:
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

defiance

Quote from: RD on May 06, 2007, 09:13:31 PM
okay so I was not very serious the first time... if the condenser only has a small hole, find a weldor to fix it.  A good aluminum weldor could most likely fix that piece without you having to have it replaced.  That way you are only paying for removal and installation.  You can recharge your system after that.  Secondly, after condenser is removed, rubber plug the inlet/outlet lines so no contaminants enter your system, that way you will not necessarily have to replace your accumulator (which I would not have done anyway).  A good flush after the condensor is fixed and then recharge.

After the guy welds it (if you plan on doing this), make sure he pressure checks the condensor.

good luck.

I knew you weren't being serious, but I thought it prudent to clarify.  Just in case.  :P

For the accumulator, if the hole is big enough, the entire system has already been exposed to the environment for quite some time now, so I'd still say replace it...  It's probably only a small portion of the expense anyway.

Good idea on the insurance; I hadn't thought of that, but I bet they would cover it. 

RT DAVE

68 CHARGER RT<br />06 MAGNUM RT<br />02 INTREPID SXT

RD

wow... after all that information... the person asking the question ditched us?   :D

Flynsqurl511

Thanks for all of your help. I talked to the dealership today and they are going to cover it and the person that tried to screw me over has been fired. I took it to another place and you all were right..

THANKS AGAIN

RD

Quote from: Flynsqurl511 on May 07, 2007, 07:58:20 PM
Thanks for all of your help. I talked to the dealership today and they are going to cover it and the person that tried to screw me over has been fired. I took it to another place and you all were right..

THANKS AGAIN

well I am glad we all could help out.  now, buy a 66-74 Charger and stay awhile, hehehehe  just joking.  Good luck and if you have anymore questions, just stop on by.

PocketThunder

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on May 07, 2007, 06:43:18 AM
I think I'd like to restore the 275 AC on my 69.   These will do    :icon_smile_cool:

:haha: :haha:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."