News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Question about new stereos

Started by devilgear, May 06, 2007, 12:06:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

devilgear

Hey hey. I am going to put a newer radio in my Charger (mine has nothing right now) and I need to know how I hook up the wire to turn off the radio when the car is turned off (switched power?). I thought I read somewhere that its a wire from the ignition switch? Thanks.
LATER!!!

70charger_boy

You could run the red power wire from the stereo to the radio fuse on the fuse box or you can do what I did i ran a wire from the positive terminal of the battery in through the firewalland hooked up a toggle switch and attached it to the unit.  So, you can shut the radio off with a toggle switch.  I normally do it when I'm running an amp

mikepmcs

Yes, switched power is the way to go.  In other words the wire only gets power when the ignition is turned on.  You don't have to use a wire from the ignition switch, there are more than one.

No offense to 70charger_boy but I wouldn't do it like that(if it works for him that is cool but not my choice).  Now on the other hand in his defense, you can tap into one of the wires that feeds into the fuse box for switched power.    I'm not a fan of hooking things up directly to the fuse box.

What kind of stereo are you getting? 

I can walk you through this.

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

70charger_boy

The only reason why I hook up the wire directly to the battery and hook up a toggle is because if you are running an amp with a smallheatsink it will have a tendancy to heat up and probably start a fire, so if you smell something burning you can shut off the switch and pull over.  If you have it hooked on your ignition switch then you can't shut it off right away. 

mikepmcs

Good point 70 for sure.   I'm assuming his wiring is in good shape, and we have yet to find out if he is going system or just putting in a radio.

Even system, I've run some pretty stout amps and never gone that route, but it is a great safety precaution you have there for sure :2thumbs: More so with an older vehicle.

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

devilgear

Hey hey guys thanks for the help. I have an older Pioneer 50watt tape deck that came out of another car. It works good for now and it did not cost me anything, so it should be fine until I get bigger stuff. I have the old harness and the other things it came with. Can I put a spade connector from the accessory wire from the deck to the accessory plug on the fuse box?
LATER!!!

devilgear

Hey hey. Also I am just hooking up a Pioneer tape deck and some older Sony 6x9's. Nothing fancy, just gonna run my IPOD thru it anyway.
LATER!!!

2Gunz

You should be able to find something in the fusebox that is keyed with the IGN switch.

And that should work.

The proper way would be to Run a new wire (and add a fuse at the battery) to a relay under the dash.

Then find an on with IGN wire and use that to trigger the relay.

The relay is alot better and wont strain the old and weak (at best) when new, electrical.

Pretty cheap insurance.

Like 3 bucks for a fuse holder and fuse.

And like 5 - 10 bucks for a relay and holder.