News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

just watched american muscle car engine shootout

Started by miller, April 26, 2007, 09:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

miller

i dont know if this has been talked about before but i figured i would post it anyways, this episode was about taking all of the legendary motors and testing them to find thier true horsepower in stock form. all i gotta say is the hemi rocks, over 800 horsepower... it totaly blew away the other motors, they didnt stand a chance, mopar or no car!

2005 Harley Davidson 1200 Sportster Custom - Maggie
2012 370Z NISMO - Courtney
1979 Corvette L-82 - Lilly
1969 Dodge Charger R/T Clone - Vanessa

Sinister68

-James
2013 Challenger SRT - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 1968 Charger (R/T)
6.4 Hemi/Auto - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 440 4bbl/5 Speed/Dana 3.54

Ghoste

I didn't see it but 800 horse sounds high.  I'm guessing this was a Race Hemi and an engine dyno.

SRT-440

Quote from: Ghoste on April 27, 2007, 10:18:00 AM
I didn't see it but 800 horse sounds high.  I'm guessing this was a Race Hemi and an engine dyno.

It was supposed to be a production 426..but it is "crank HP"...I think it's a bit high..but I've never had a 426 so I don't know.   :-\
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog..."

2012 SRT8 392 Challenger (SOLD)
2004 Dodge Stage 1 SRT-4 (SOLD)
1970 Plymouth Road Runner Clone w/6.1 HEMI (SOLD)
1971 Dodge Dart w/440 (SOLD)
1985 Buick Grand National w/'87 swap and big turbo (SOLD)

Brock Samson

from what i recall, the estimated actual output (properly tuned and at the crank) was north of 500 but purposly under estimatmated to not scare folks (or insurance adjusters).  :pity:

Ghoste

BigBlackDodge

If the stock hp was 820 what did the nascar guys get out it back in the day...............1,000? They would been going 300 mph. Sounds way off to me for a stock 426.

BBD

Hemidoug

No, that engine was no where near stock. That ford 427 wasn't stock either. If you read the book about Hemi's, Tom Hoover (the Father of the 426 Hemi) stated that they put out 426 HP consistantly. If factory Hemis were putting out 800 ponies I think he would have said something. I would say a stock, showroom Hemi put out somewhere in the 420-450 HP range.
71 R/T 440 6pak, 4spd Mr Norms GSD

chrisII

watching the show i was expecting , being a dual quad with big headers ect that 600 was close. but I did notice that they had fancy rods and such in the hemi. a single 4bbl would have easly still won the shootout, but somebody wasnt taking chances. kinda like bringin a gun to a fist fight.

6pkrunner

Very misleading for those not in the know. As said above a factory showroom 426 would crank out in the 430-450 range - and that was after a supertune. No ripping into it, just sorting out the way the factory put it together. Carbs and ignition from the factory left a bit to be desired for optimum HP.

Ghoste

On the plus side, at least it was a Mopar that came out way on top.  If the results were flip flopped we'd really have something to bitch about then.