News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

trans problem

Started by dukeboy_318, April 23, 2007, 09:25:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dukeboy_318

I was running my 74 charger, 318/904 around yesterday and everything seemed fine until i went to back it up to the shed.  All of a sudden, it no longer had reverse or neutral and it stays in drive.  Its wierd because it shifted smooth and never made any vibrations or noise to indicated something was wrong and it is full of fluid and has no leaks.  Could this just be a linkage problem or is it much worse than that?  I'm not good with auto trannys and since this is the first auto that I've ever owned, I'm kinda lost, any help will be greatly appreciated.

THanks Chris

P:S:  Can a 727 be made to be a column shifted trans or can it only be used as a floor shifted trans?
1978 Dodge Power Wagon W200 4x4- 408 stroker/4spd
1974 Dodge Dart Swinger. 440 project in the works.

tkkruzer

i'd check the linkage on the outside first, then i'd drop the pan and check the shift linkage inside thethe case. sound like a linkage problem to me :icon_smile_question:

John_Kunkel

The tendency to drive forward in Neutral and the loss of Reverse is usually caused by a rear clutch that's not releasing.

The problem is usually a failed Belleville spring in the clutch, when it fails it allows the clutch piston to pop out of its bore and jam the clutch discs together. The jammed clutches prevent Reverse operation because the trans is in two gears at once and just locks up.

Sorry, but there's no quick fix, the trans will have to come out to be repaired.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

dukeboy_318

So will this cause the entire trans to be rebuilt or just simply fixing the spring and clutch problem, cause i checked the linkage and it seemed to be fine from the outside so I bet this is the problem.
1978 Dodge Power Wagon W200 4x4- 408 stroker/4spd
1974 Dodge Dart Swinger. 440 project in the works.

John_Kunkel

You may get away with just replacing the faulty parts but once the trans is out it's wise to overhaul it.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.