News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

roller tappet question

Started by srpntlair1, April 16, 2007, 04:22:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

srpntlair1

I understand that they don't recommend using hydraulic roller tappets on a standard non roller cam due to strength issues, but was just curious if anyone has put this to the test?

is_it_EVER_done?

The reason you can't use roller lifters on a flat tappet cam (hydraulic or solid) is not because of strength, but because a standard (non roller) cam is ground  to rotate the lifters whereas a roller cam is ground to keep the lifter as straight as possible.

You're pretty much guaranteed a failure if you mix the two.

srpntlair1

That is understood also, but with the use of a Guide bar, or link bar  to eliminate rotation, is it in the actual grind of the lobes? I am just trying to understand it. as a strength issue, they told me the cam will break due to cast vs. forged, which I also don't understand. If you have a valve spring at lets say 220 lbs what is the difference? spring load is spring load and I would assume the push rod would be the weak point. I am just the kind of person that wants to "understand" the why's not just take it for the saying

Chryco Psycho

if you look at the pattern on any flat tappet cam the lifter on touches the lobe on 1 side to rotate the lifter , the only place the lobe goes to full contact is near & over the top of the lobe , this would cause excessive stress on the guide bar as most of the time the cam would be trying to force the lifter to rotate