News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Has Anyone Else Done Something Like This, Man,I Felt Stupid!!!

Started by Goldfinger71, April 02, 2007, 03:21:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goldfinger71

Well,
I had been looking for a bottom baseplate for my 71 R/T louvered hood for about three years.
I have only seen 1 maybe 2 on Ebay since that time and Tony D had one that didn't stick around too long! By the time I called it was long gone!  :'(

I had been thinking for a long time almost to the point of depression of if I would EVER find one.I had been hitting swap meets,hitting Mopar scrapyards,asking around for years only to come up with nothing.  :brickwall:
This piece is not reproduced(and probably never will be!)A number of 71 R/T owners took them off and misplaced or discarded them...I had seen a few on complete hoods I saw for sale over the years,heck I got to the point I was actually going to buy another hood just to get the baseplate off of it!  :-\

....Well to make a long story short.....I was in my storage unit a few days ago and walked past my hood...I noticed something there on the hood that I had NEVER noticed before..The baseplate I was looking for many years was bolted to the bottom of my hood the whole time !!!And in great shape besides a bellnut or two missing!! :icon_smile_cool:
I sat there and laughed and stood in amazement of what I have put myself through all this time!   :hah:
Anybody else done something like this before? Be honest! I can't be the only one.....Can I?   :icon_smile_big:

1971 Charger R/T   GY9 Dark Gold Metallic, V1Y Gold Top, GY4 Light Gold Interior- A/C, Rimblow, PW, Front Disc, AM-FM, Tach, Light Package, Slotted Tips, Trailer Tow Package(MIA)and a few other odds and ends...including a luggage rack!

TeeWJay426

Nope- you're the only one..... :hah: :rofl:

Actually, you should consider yourself lucky...... I usually end up thinking I have that elusive something that I need, only to find out later that I don't, and probably never did... :shruggy:
74 Charger SE, 400 HP, 4-speed

Nacho-RT74

what did hapen to me is that I need a part I KNOW I HAVE but can't find.. but OOOOH, OF COURSE I find after buy the new one :brickwall:
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Troy

Yes! That's exactly how I end up with more than one of everything. So far I haven't run into anything as elusive as that baseplate but that has to be a really good feeling to know you don't have to stress over that any more. From the title I honestly thought you were going to say you found it but then broke it while taking it off. I have done that as well.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

ck1

I bought a good condition dash bezel around gauges and the front right pillar post cover for my 68 when I first bought my car because there where broken off peaces on them only to find the broken peaces stuck under my metal dash frame when i took the car apart which could have been easily glued back on instead of buying new ones, which they were inexpensive at the time to buy but still pizz me off :brickwall:
CJK

bordin34

The best way to find an expensive part you lost is to buy another one. Anytime you do that no matter what it is it will turn up as soon as you can't return it.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

Charger1973

I always think I have something that I dont.  Most of the time I sold the part and forgot about it.  On rare occasions i'll come across things I didnt know I still had though. 

Manfred318

Quote from: bordin34 on April 02, 2007, 06:24:11 PM
The best way to find an expensive part you lost is to buy another one. Anytime you do that no matter what it is it will turn up as soon as you can't return it.
:iagree:
Ive done the same thing. I took the Charger emblem off of my grill when I was getting the car painted, and put it up some where where I wouldn't loose it. Well I lost it. I looked for that damn thing for the better part of three weeks. I finally ended up buying a new one. I found my old one later that afternoon in a box of miscellaneous parts and pieces that were for the Belvedere we had at the time. I still don't know how it ended up in there. :shruggy:

Current MoPars:
1968 Charger. 318 Out of commission:(
1975 Dart Swinger. 225 Pops daily ride.
1990 Dodge Ram. 360FI My daily ride.
2007 Magnum R/T. 5.7 Family wagon.

mikesbbody

i have replaced parts only to find i did actually have them but was too lazy to look! glad it all worked out for you and your right those base plates are hard to find.

mikepmcs

That's why I have at least 7 of every tool known to mankind.  I'm guilty :D

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

The70RT

How about loaning a tool to someone then forgot who the hell you loaned it to or forgot all together and bought another one. And low and behold it shows up out of know where or your so called buddy says oh you got another one....you did know i still had it?  >:(
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

6670charger

This system never fails for me :-\
Proudly Confusing The Crap Out Of People Since 1963

dodgecharger-fan

I was shopping for a radio bezel for about a year....

I knew I had the wood grain insert, but I was certain that I didn't have the black bezel.

Then I had about the same "DOH!" moment that you had. I went and actually looked at the bezel and sure enough, attached to the back of the woodgrain insert - the bezel.....

:P

Zentelis

If that's true, then I recently lost a '68 Hemi 4-speed Charger, a Hemi 'cuda convertible 4-speed, a split window 'vette, a 1988 Countach, a Jaguar XJ220, and a Mercedes CLK-GTR..

Now, as soon as I buy them, I hope I find I already had one of each :p