News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

oil pan for a 73 440

Started by 73chargers4404, March 21, 2007, 08:11:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

73chargers4404

does anyone know what oil pan for a 73 charger 440 would use .a rear or front sump ,i bought one and another member bought the same one and said it would not work .heres the one i bought.
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=MIL%2D30760&N=700+115&autoview=sku

mikepmcs

That should work for a car and 2 wheel P/U.

The difference is between cars and pickups.

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

moparguy01

you need a 971 cast oil pan. you need a pan with the sump further back.

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: 73chargers4404 on March 21, 2007, 08:11:25 PM
does anyone know what oil pan for a 73 charger 440 would use .a rear or front sump ,i bought one and another member bought the same one and said it would not work .heres the one i bought.
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=MIL%2D30760&N=700+115&autoview=sku

That's the right one
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

moparguy01

Well i thought it would be the right one too, until I tried it. Go ahead maybe i just got a bad pan or something, but be aware if it gets scratched up you just bought it like i ended up doing.

The Ghoul

Quote from: moparguy01 on March 23, 2007, 09:02:24 PM
Well i thought it would be the right one too, until I tried it. Go ahead maybe i just got a bad pan or something, but be aware if it gets scratched up you just bought it like i ended up doing.
do you have a big block k member or a small block with the conversion mounts?

moparguy01

right now its the small block with conversion mounts. but i tried it with the big block k frame too.

DANF

:brickwall:

Hey Moparguy - did you ever solve this?

I'm dropping my rebuilt 440 back into my 74 Charger Magnum and I'm having an interference problem.  I bought the Mancini  MRE884 oil pan and it is hitting my K frame.  This is the original big block car(K frame) with the original 440 ....except for the tinware. The Mancicni guy just told me "he doesn't know of anybody who sells the right pan for a 73 or 74 big block car". When I bought the car the 440 was in peices on a pallet and it had a 383 in it.  I guess I could take the pan off the 383 but I was going to sell that?  The 383 pan should work....right?  Pick up too?

....and yes, I scatched the pan dinking around trying to make it fit.
:flame:

idahogrumpy

I have a Milodon 7 qt low profile pan in my 73 440 Charger. My car came wiyh a 400hp and a 4speed from the factory. The pan is a tight fit and will not go in mounted on the engine. I had to set the pan in place, set the engine in over the pan and then bolt the pan up. With a windage tray and the 1/2 pick up tube this is a royal pain, but it can be done!  I believe that I also had to drop the steering center link to give me enough room to jocky the pan around the pick up tube and tray.  My car has also used the regular milodon deep pan installed in the same manner. We tried the Hemi 6 qt pan and it would not fit. (Hit the K frame) Hope this helps    Grumpy
Too much to say
Too much to do
Too tired to get it done
Too stubborn to give up
GRUMPY
Modified 73 440 Charger, 03 Intrepid SXT, 02 Neon and 2001 Ram 1500 .

moparguy01

Quote from: DANF on August 03, 2007, 09:06:32 AM
:brickwall:

Hey Moparguy - did you ever solve this?

I'm dropping my rebuilt 440 back into my 74 Charger Magnum and I'm having an interference problem.  I bought the Mancini  MRE884 oil pan and it is hitting my K frame.  This is the original big block car(K frame) with the original 440 ....except for the tinware. The Mancicni guy just told me "he doesn't know of anybody who sells the right pan for a 73 or 74 big block car". When I bought the car the 440 was in peices on a pallet and it had a 383 in it.  I guess I could take the pan off the 383 but I was going to sell that?  The 383 pan should work....right?  Pick up too?

....and yes, I scatched the pan dinking around trying to make it fit.
:flame:

ya I solved it. I got myself a 971 pan. then it fit fine.