News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

'70 Monte Carlo... Good points & Bad points?

Started by TruckDriver, March 18, 2007, 07:26:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TruckDriver

I'm just looking for in put from anyone who knows these cars a little. And, before you guys say "well, it's a cheby", I do like Chevy's too. I always have. Anyway, the guy who sold me my Charger, last night offered me a 1970 Monte Carlo (cheap) with no engine or tranny (no big deal), but a life time Arizona car still in Az.. I just simply said, I'll think about it. He said he'd get me pictures too. I always liked Monte Carlos, but to be honest, I don't know what parts are readally available. I told my girlfriend today, and she wants it. She is as crazy about these cars as I am Mopars.

It is NOT this car, but the same year. She wants a blue metal flake one.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

69Coronet

Parts shouldnt be to hard to find cause Chevy made a lot of Monte Carlos.  And i think most parts from 70, 71, 72 Monte Carlos are interchangable.
Its no disgrace being poor.  Its just inconvienient.

Mean 318

My cousin has had a 70 for years! He loves the car, and hasn't had many issues with it. He did blow the motor, but that wasn't the cars fault  ::). There are also lots of parts cars here, so I would imagine you could find anything for it. They are good looking cars. Good Luck!

Back N Black

Check rear frame rails just behind the rear wheels, they have a tendency to rust out in that area. Have a friend lift up on the rear bumper and look at the body mounts back there, see if they are about to pull through.

rt green

i had a 72 at one time. it was a nice car. handled great!
third string oil changer

BLACKWOLF

my first circle track car was a 70 monte carlo. they are good cars as long as they have a good frame under them. be sure to check the frame rails behind the rear end.
LINNY SMITH 73' CHARGER OWNER HPAC MEMBER NATIONAL STREET MACHINE CLUB LIFE MEMBER
I'M ON FACEBOOK

THE CHARGER PUNK

i was brought home for 1st time after i was born in my dads 1972 monte carlo it was midnight blue with a red pinstripe along the top of the body it had cragar s/s mags and a 350/auto colum car i remember little about it other then i see in pics, but it was a pretty cool car :yesnod:, my dads boss wants to buy his 68 charger for 25k after that we are going to pick up another 72 :yesnod:

Brock Samson

The Monte is to the Chevelle what the Charger is to the Coronet..
i got a year one Cat. for them... (chevelle/monte)
i'd want one, make a marina blue SS 454 to be exact..
i'd put an LS-6 drivetrain in it.

TruckDriver

Quote from: Brock Samson on March 19, 2007, 09:39:41 AM
The Monte is to the Chevelle what the Charger is to the Coronet..
i got a year one Cat. for them... (chevelle/monte)
i'd want one, make a marina blue SS 454 to be exact..
i'd put an LS-6 drivetrain in it.

That is kinda what my girlfriend wants to do. But in Saphire blue metallic with either the 15x8 Vette wheels or Cragar SS 15x8 wheels. Since it has no engine, we were thinking a 454 and a 4spd. I am going to call my friend again today and ask him some more about the car. We never did get into what it originally had for a drive train. But being a life time desert car, I am pretty sure the rear frame rails will be in good shape yet. My Charger frame is perfect as you can get for originals.
PETE

"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

OldGuy

My wife and I bought our 1972 Monte Carlo new in 1972 and still have it (pictured below).  In 1970, we traded my 1968 Charger R/T for a 1968 Chevelle.  I had to give the guy my 68 R/T and $400 just to take the Charger off my hands and to get the Chevelle.  That's what it was all about in 1970 at the end of the muscle car era.  Gas prices shot up to 32 cents a gallon for premium, insurance went up and guys were getting married and having kids.  In 1972, we traded the 1968 Chevelle + $3,300 for the 1972 Monte Carlo.  Sticker price on the Monte Carlo was $5,300.  Most of the Montes have 350 cid engines with auto transmissions.  Our 1972 Monte has a 350 with auto trans.  However, it has power everything - windows, brakes, steering, etc.  Air conditioning, black interior, bench seat, tilt wheel, etc.  It was our daily driver from 1972 until 1984 and put 190,000 miles on it.  Still drove it off and on until 1996 when we had it completely overhauled.  I changed the oil religiously every 3,000 miles.  When the engine was torn down there was minimal wear on the push rods and valves.  The only real problem was the cylinders were out of round (oval) due to wear.  Just had to grind them .030 over and put everything back.  The paint and vinyl top is still original.  The top is going but the paint has remained solid.  We put a new interior in it when we overhauled the engine.  My wife loves the car and we are in the process of restoring it for her.  Parts are pretty easy to come by since they are all interchangeable with Chevelle parts (other than body parts).  Also, the 1st generation parts are all interchangeable between the years (1970, 1971, and 1972).  The picture you posted is of a 1971.  The differences are even more subtle that 1968-1970 Chargers.  The easiest way to tell the difference in the years is the park lights.  The grills are also different.  1970 has round park lights in the bumper.  1971 has rectangular park lights in the front bumper as shown in your photo.  The 1972 has the park lights up between the grill and the headlights.  Other differences are the hood ornament and the 1972 is the only year with a chrome trim strip between the trunk and rear bumper.  I can honestly say that our Monte Carlo is probably one of the best cars we had during that era.  It was always dependable, easy to work on and always fired up when we went out to start it up.  The 1st generation Montes are also beginning to appreciate, as well.  In my opinion, you couldn't go wrong getting one.  Problem areas to look for are about the same as any car built during that era, similar to Charger problems.  They rust out at the bottom corners of the back window frame above the trunk because the metal in the area is somewhat flat.  The water then drips into the trunk and can pool.  Wheel wells get rusting so look for rot behind the rear wheels.  I haven't had any issues with frame rails or anything dealing with the under carriage.  If the car has been in Arizona for its life, rust shouldn't be too much of an issue.  That's what kept our 1972 in such good shape.  When we bought it, we moved from Utah to Arizona in 1972 and lived there until 1979.  The dry weather is hard on the rubber and vinyl, so you will expect to have to change all rubber parts and probably a new interior.  Sheet metal parts aren't real easy to come by i.e. hoods, trunks, quarter panels, etc. (similar to trying to get those parts for Chargers).   Good luck.  If you have any other questions, contact me.

Carl
"I can tell by your sarcastic undertones, rude comments and total lack of common decency, that you and I could be best friends".

Ponch ®

dude...that's a tight ride. Go for it!

get some hydraulics and 100 spoke gold Daytons, and you'll be set.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

TruckDriver

Quote from: The Iceman on March 19, 2007, 11:03:58 AM
get some hydraulics and 100 spoke gold Daytons, and you'll be set.

:nutkick: :D

OLDGUY

Thank all you guys and I bought my Charger from the same guy who has the Monte. So, I'm well familiar with desert cars and the dry rotted parts :yesnod: I will keep everyone posted. :icon_smile_big:

PETE

Lowprofile

A Chevelle in different clothes! I had a 70' Monte, and I loved it. Tons of parts around for these cars. If you can get a desert survivor, it won't take much to make it right. Good luck bro!
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

TruckDriver

I called Buck (my friend), he was busy, but he did tell me that it was a 350 car and auto on the column. And he said I can have it for $500. :yesnod: He was going to look at a new house, before he goes back over the road (truck driver), but he said he will do his best to get me 20 or 30 pictures in a week or so. I told him to inspect the rear frame rails, body mounts and the inside of the trunk floor as those were weak spots. Said he will, and I told him if everything looks good, he sold the car. Soon as I get the pictures, I'll post them here for your input. Like I said, I always wanted a Monte Carlo. Thanks again guys. :cheers:

BTW - Anyone know of a forum for these cars?
PETE

Ponch ®

"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

mikepmcs

Shoot that car would've been sold over the phone.  Sweet deal!!!

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

OldGuy

Google - 1st generation Monte Carlo - there used to be a forum that was pretty good with quite a few members on it.  They had a lot of good information  - such as this site does.
"I can tell by your sarcastic undertones, rude comments and total lack of common decency, that you and I could be best friends".

TruckDriver

PETE

BlueSS454

If the sheetmetal is in good shape, grab it.  All a Monte Carlo is, is a Chevelle with different sheetmetal and a longer frame horn.  All of the suspension, wiring, interior, brakes, A/C, etc. interchange with a Chevelle.  Chevy engines are cheap enough to build to get the car running, TH350 trannies are a dime a dozen.  I'd love to add a 70 Monte Carlo to my 70 Chevelle stable.
Tom Rightler

TruckDriver

Quote from: BlueSS454 on April 01, 2007, 07:48:48 PM
If the sheetmetal is in good shape, grab it.  All a Monte Carlo is, is a Chevelle with different sheetmetal and a longer frame horn.  All of the suspension, wiring, interior, brakes, A/C, etc. interchange with a Chevelle.  Chevy engines are cheap enough to build to get the car running, TH350 trannies are a dime a dozen.  I'd love to add a 70 Monte Carlo to my 70 Chevelle stable.

I'm still waiting on pictures. It could be a while too, but my friend will come through. He drives over the road, and doesnt always have much time at home. But he said the outside looks real good except for a small dent in the passenger side rear quarter. But he said that it can be worked out without replacing it. Soon as I get the pics, I'll post them in this thread. I told him that if the car is solid like my Charger was/is, I'll buy it.
PETE

BLACKWOLF

the black one is a 71. it has rectangle park lights. the 70 has round ones. the frt bumper on a 70 monte carlo has the same bumper as a 70 el camino.
LINNY SMITH 73' CHARGER OWNER HPAC MEMBER NATIONAL STREET MACHINE CLUB LIFE MEMBER
I'M ON FACEBOOK

dkn1997

RECHRGED

70charger_boy

Dude, for $500 I would've bought it sight unseen!!!!!!!

TruckDriver

Quote from: roscoe_p.coltrane on April 02, 2007, 07:53:25 PM
Dude, for $500 I would've bought it sight unseen!!!!!!!

Well, I'm in Wisconsin, the car is in Arizona, and I haven't seen it yet :P
PETE