News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Firmfeel Steering Box

Started by 71ChallengeHer, March 16, 2007, 12:43:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

71ChallengeHer

Anyone use the Firmfeel Power Steering Box. Is It worth the extra the money? Does it make a big difference in steering?

Rubberduck

I recently installed the Firm Feel powersteering gearbox Stage III.
And to me it´s worth the money. Now the steering feels like that you are used from a new car.
I didn´t like the sloggish steering feeling that came from the factory.

But it´s quite a bunch of money. I also had to pay the core charge which also is pretty much.
But the shipping of a gearbox from Germany to Firm Feel would have cost me more than the core charge.

If you like the way it feels to steer a new car then go ahead and drop in a Firm Feel gearbox.

For removal and intsallation I had to release the steering linkage under the gearbox.
And I had to disconnect the steering column from the gearbox - wich was the most work.
This way I got out the gearbox.
For some reason I didn´t get in the new box without removing the starter.
All in all it´s a pretty easy job to change the gearbox.

Mario
´68 Charger, 505 by CWE, 4-speed

8WHEELER

I have the stage 2 units in 3 of my chargers, now I could not go back to the stock box.
To me, they are well worth the money, I even put the fast ratio arms on from Firm Feel.
They are pretty expensive, but I really love the way it drives everywhere  :yesnod: :yesnod:
The cost has probably gone up since 6yrs ago since I bought my last one, I picked it up in
person on all of them, and gave him my cores.
My wife really likes the Firm Feel, but did not prefer the fast ratio I put on my red car. Not
sure why, she just said I don't need it, could be the extra money  ;D

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

daytonalo

The fast ratio arm, what is it like on a stock box ? Where did you buy it from and how much ?

8WHEELER

They are just a longer arm, some have told me that a C-Body arm would do the same thing, but
nobody has come up with any evidence to support that yet. They work fine on a stock box,
and simply provide a faster ratio that I like. I bought my idler and pitman arm from Firm Feel, I
think back then the pitman arm was almost $200.00 so I have no idea on the current price, he
could be getting them for a better price now or more I have not been there in 5yrs.

Dan

daytonalo

Do you have to use a longer idler arm to match the pitman arm . How many turns lock to lock before and after upgrade ?

8WHEELER

Yes, and its a little more than 1/2 as many turns.

Dan

daytonalo

Could you break it down , is it 2.5 ,3.0 ,3.5,4.5 turns lock to lock . Again how many before , and how many after ?

71ChallengeHer

Thanks, the Challenger needs a new steering box. I just wasn't sure if I wanted to stay with the stock replacement or the firm feel. Thanks again for the info.

is_it_EVER_done?

Firm Feel does the most thorough and complete job of rebuilding the steering box, so from just a "quality" standpoint, the are well worth the money over any other rebuild. -- Don't forget to rebuild the steering columns connecting/slider/coupler box at the same time.

As far as the stage 2 & 3 boxes, they are no different from a rebuild standpoint, but they do have heavier (stronger) "reaction" (I have no idea if this is the correct name) springs in them that make the steering effort heavier. It depends on your preference.

Personally I like the ultra light steering effort of the stock (stage one) spring, but most prefer the heavier stage 3 feel. It's purely a personal choice.

As for fast ratio Pitman arms, The fast ratio arms are nothing more than a C body arm with a smaller splined sector end that attaches to the box. They are roughly 1 inch longer than stock, and will reduce the number of turns of the steering wheel that are required to reach the steering limits.

I have used them with stock idler arms (just like the E-body T/A's and AAR's were set up), but the car will steer quicker to one side than the other, plus it has a slightly noticeable effect on bump steer. Using a longer idler arm that is designed for the longer Pitman, will cure the slower steering from side to side, but you will still possibly notice a bump steer effect if you drive the car aggressively.

If you use a 74 (might even be 73) and later box, they have the bigger C body sized sector, and can use the much cheaper C body Pitman if you want the faster steering ratio.

As for my own preference that I have settled on over the years. I prefer the stage 1 spring with normal Pitman and idler. The ease of steering allows for a quicker steering wheel rotaion, and the stock length Pitman and idler don't produce bump steer. I will state again that most prefer the harder steering of the stage 3, just not me.

Regardless of which box "stage" you prefer, if you do decide to get the longer (quick ratio) Pitman arm, I would suggest also getting the longer idler arm. But I will also state that though this can be a fun improvement in normal street driving, if you drive aggressively you can reach a point where the bump steer is somewhat detrimental.

I'm sure all this only makes it more confusing, but I only give you actual results that I have found, and personal preference. Hopfully, you can find something usefull in all this.

UFO

If your using the longer pitman and idler,is there header clearance issues?

is_it_EVER_done?

Quote from: UFO on March 18, 2007, 10:27:22 PM

Could very well be! It's certainly something that should be checked first.

Excellent point UFO.

8WHEELER

Quote from: UFO on March 18, 2007, 10:27:22 PM

On mine with the fast ratio arms, getting my new H-Pipe made was interesting. He
was going buy the book, and the left side tube is very close to the stock location
of where the LH header pipe comes down. So he bent mine to come down an inch
farther back than the specs call for, I have lots of room now.

There is one more thing, if you still have your starter splash shield, it will have to be
cut back and modified about 2in to clear the adjustment sleeve being farther back, in
other words, you can't run the stock starter splash shield as well.

Dan